View Poll Results: Are you happy living in Singapore?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 - Very Happy

    23 9.66%
  • 4 - Happy

    58 24.37%
  • 3 - Ok lah

    88 36.97%
  • 2 - Sad

    20 8.40%
  • 1 - Life sux here.

    49 20.59%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 111

Thread: Are you happy living in Singapore?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    To live happy in Singapore.. u need 3 things.

    1) a reasonable stable income ( buy house, food.. etc )
    2) good companionship ( friends, wife, husband, relatives.. not so lonely )
    3) good health ( dun ever fall sick in Singapore ! medical bills can make u a bankrupt )
    1. Nothing falls from the trees.
    2. To be lovable first, before you can receive love.
    3. Be responsible to your own health.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by nicky View Post
    Wished the weather isn't that hot and humid. Something moderate like Taiwan's should be nice .... cool and dry
    Taiwan has great weather during autumn. Winter can be cold and wet and miserable (because of rain) and spring is bloody humid (poor cameras) and summer... gee... where were you during summer in Taiwan? You WILL WISH you were in Singapore.
    Last edited by microcosm; 19th November 2006 at 07:02 PM.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    First of all, be glad that Singapore does not have famine, drought, earthquakes, hurricanes etc. Only the smoky haze from indo. Whatever doubts,complaints ppl have about the gov, you can't but salute them for bringing sgp from a 'malaysia-rejected good" to a 1st world country in 40 years. Not to say that our airport/seaport are among the best, and our corruption level, contamination/pollution level are among the lowest.
    IMO, singaporeans are complaining not because they do not have enough, but because they want more.. you see, give someone $1, he asks for $5, give him $10, he wants $100..
    Bear in mind that singapore is really a dot, anyone nearby can easily bully us and take over, like things happened in the Iraq.
    Think running singapore like running a small company. The management couldn't just give in to any/all requests by its employees.
    For me, working around most of the world for 2 decades and seeing the things happening, I do appreciate Singapore alot though stress, competition is there.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan_1337 View Post
    also depends where the grass is growing. in Australia, most of the country is in a drought now so the grass will be more brown than green

    i've always wanted to try living in Singapore...but don't know whether I should or not. i don't want to think about the salary i'll get between Australia and Singapore as i know that Singapore won't pay me nearly as much for the same work.
    T A X E S ... feeding those on dole. Gee... Australian taxes are notorious. And salaries in Singapore are negotiable. Depends on your negotiation skills.

    Quote Originally Posted by zha View Post
    You'll probably miss the vast space Melb has to offer the moment you step out of Changi Airport. And you'll miss the fresh clean air.... the clear blue sky... and the list goes on and on ...
    That is true.
    Last edited by microcosm; 19th November 2006 at 07:05 PM.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    nothing beats sitting down. in a small cosy house with a big big piece of land. with short green grass and clear blue skies. cool weather, loving and pretty wife.

    and money keeps rolling in every month.
    Bro, introduce me to your drug dealer.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    Stepping out of Singapore Changi Airport crash that reality - I am now in the sardine packed concrete jungle.
    Try living in Hong Kong and Beijing and Tokyo. We are not that packed.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    There is never a system that makes everybody happy? If you can find one tell the whole world!

    I would like to stay in that place.

    COE.. and without COE, Traffic Jam .. blame the govt..
    Shift the ferry terminal... no bussiness blame the govt... recent shift in HK.. the HongKee are more realistic.. they said thing got to change... it is life!
    expensive medical cost... blame the govt so do you want them to increase your income tax????? else where do the govt gets the monies from.. so yes yes yes or no no no?
    When we have such a poll it is good if we can have a comparision say Singapore vs Hong Kong or Singapore vs Finland where 60% of your salary goes to income tax and you get free education etc.

    For those who say ...su..... state your ground! quote the system in another country which can provide you a good or better system it is easy say than .......

    I rest my case!
    Be religious, and then hope you will go to heaven. That, I think is the only solution.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post
    Depends... Really can't generalize like dat.

    I have friends who are extremely happy overseas and would hardly consider coming back. They get good pay, adaptable lifestyle enjoying the things they like, etc. It strongly depends on your occupation, which part of the city you live, your attitude and personality.

    Like all places, there are good and bad things in Singapore. Those who especially hate the crowds here, the boring places after a while cos the place is too small, the restricted rules, lack of opprtunities, stressful lifestyle yet lower income, etc will usually want to go overseas.
    My complain back home in Singapore is the lack of culture. But this has to be accumulated over time. We are such a young country and what we have achieved... well... other countries can only dream about... but then again... one can argue that we are a small country and the government is really strict.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,916

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    actually it's through the bad that people start to appreciate the good ... like in Tokyo, because of the sheer congestion, people truly appreciate open and green spaces, that's why Spring's Sakura Appreciation and Autumn's Red Leaf Appreciation are such important events for city dwellers. maybe we should lower MRT's frequency by half so that the trains will be just as packed as those in Tokyo

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,916

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by microcosm View Post
    My complain back home in Singapore is the lack of culture. But this has to be accumulated over time. We are such a young country and what we have achieved... well... other countries can only dream about... but then again... one can argue that we are a small country and the government is really strict.
    Singapore used to have really rich culture, but there has had been some white washing along the way, that's where the pity lies. don't remember the history textbooks making any mention of the muticultural trading port Singapore was before Raffles came, most kids probably only know Singapore as a fishing village founded by some Sang Nila Utama ... other kids just don't know.

  11. #51
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,608

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by microcosm View Post
    Bro, introduce me to your drug dealer.
    He suffers from long-term euphoric exposure to studio strobes.

    Get a pair of 1,000 watts and you'll be in the land of happiness.

  12. #52

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    He suffers from long-term euphoric exposure to studio strobes.

    Get a pair of 1,000 watts and you'll be in the land of happiness.
    Hmmm.... sounds like a plan...

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    Singapore used to have really rich culture, but there has had been some white washing along the way, that's where the pity lies. don't remember the history textbooks making any mention of the muticultural trading port Singapore was before Raffles came, most kids probably only know Singapore as a fishing village founded by some Sang Nila Utama ... other kids just don't know.
    This is such a waste.

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    actually it's through the bad that people start to appreciate the good ... like in Tokyo, because of the sheer congestion, people truly appreciate open and green spaces, that's why Spring's Sakura Appreciation and Autumn's Red Leaf Appreciation are such important events for city dwellers. maybe we should lower MRT's frequency by half so that the trains will be just as packed as those in Tokyo
    Don't even think about it! Wah lau... Tokyo train rides... scary stuff man... I felt "one with the sardine" when I was there...

  13. #53

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    i disagree, the overcrowding situation is beyond imagination. only those who been through it knows how bad it can really be. imagine more than 30 min of not being able to stand properly, with zero space left for any kind of movement of the limbs. being squashed is quite an understatement. the Singapore MRT is nothing compared to Tokyo trains in terms of congestion.
    Actually, I have been there and experienced it for myself and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,916

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tetrode View Post
    Actually, I have been there and experienced it for myself and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    then you are quite rare, Singaporeans i know staying in Japan and my Japanese friends all hated the congestion.

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,357

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    You mean you have a choice?
    Most people do not, in practical terms.

    The billionaires have a choice.
    They have big houses in many cities.
    They need not worry about money.
    They are welcomed by the other countries.

    You and I ?
    Not so easy to relocate.
    What about your family links here?

    If you are among the poor in other countries, it is very tough too.

    And some countries have endemic violence.
    Iraq is going through what ancient China went through during the warring states period, when war lords and clans slug it out.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 19th November 2006 at 08:58 PM.

  16. #56
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,608

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    then you are quite rare, Singaporeans i know staying in Japan and my Japanese friends all hated the congestion.
    Wouldn't foreigners like you add further to the congestion in Japan?

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,916

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Wouldn't foreigners like you add further to the congestion in Japan?
    what can less than 1% foreign population do in Japan?

    i'm here so that there's one less person on the MRT

  18. #58
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,608

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by microcosm View Post
    Don't even think about it! Wah lau... Tokyo train rides... scary stuff man... I felt "one with the sardine" when I was there...
    Thank your lucky star for not being a young female.

    In my Japanese class, an Australian girl said she came out of Tokyo train rides with bruises.

    We didn't ask her where the bruises were and how did they get there.

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong, Pokfulam
    Posts
    1,157

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    aye don't use HongKee le, u you a SinKee?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    There is never a system that makes everybody happy? If you can find one tell the whole world!

    I would like to stay in that place.

    COE.. and without COE, Traffic Jam .. blame the govt..
    Shift the ferry terminal... no bussiness blame the govt... recent shift in HK.. the HongKee are more realistic.. they said thing got to change... it is life!
    expensive medical cost... blame the govt so do you want them to increase your income tax????? else where do the govt gets the monies from.. so yes yes yes or no no no?
    When we have such a poll it is good if we can have a comparision say Singapore vs Hong Kong or Singapore vs Finland where 60% of your salary goes to income tax and you get free education etc.

    For those who say ...su..... state your ground! quote the system in another country which can provide you a good or better system it is easy say than .......

    I rest my case!
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Are you happy living in Singapore?

    Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    Are medical bills that expensive?
    You can try and ask around those who are sick and needs to see doctor and go in and out of the hospital most of the time. Wait till you see the bill sending to your home.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •