Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: A DSLR Or SLR For Newbies?

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Yio Chu Kang, Singapore
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    maybe the TS can also consider canon's 300D, 350D or 400D?
    they are smaller and lighter than nikon D50/D70 in size. was thinking for a lady just starting out, maybe easier for her?
    Yep. Actually she should go down to the shop and try out for herself.
    See which one she prefers and is comfortable with it.

    Got some camera e.g. D70 and D80 has two dials, for aperture and shutter speed.
    And the 400D has its status preview on its lcd compared to the rest.

    Find something tt suits your liking.

  2. #42

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by pRoLoS3r View Post
    Yep. Actually she should go down to the shop and try out for herself.
    See which one she prefers and is comfortable with it.

    Got some camera e.g. D70 and D80 has two dials, for aperture and shutter speed.
    And the 400D has its status preview on its lcd compared to the rest.

    Find something tt suits your liking.


    hmmm it has 2 dials ? do it means it's up to me to experiment and adjust according to my liking?
    hmm d70 and d80 is quite expensive right? and they are big!

  3. #43
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by eloera View Post
    hmmm it has 2 dials ? do it means it's up to me to experiment and adjust according to my liking?
    hmm d70 and d80 is quite expensive right? and they are big!
    If you find Nikon big, then you can consider Canon... its smaller in grip which is why a lot of Nikon users prefer the better grip on a Nikon body.

    But then again, this is subjective. Try it at the shops and you'll find out better,
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #44

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by eloera View Post
    hmmm it has 2 dials ? do it means it's up to me to experiment and adjust according to my liking?
    hmm d70 and d80 is quite expensive right? and they are big!
    well, the 2 dials are for setting aperture and shutter speeds individually. most ppl prefer 2 dials but again, thats just preference. most importantly, find a camera which u feel comfortable and 2nd nature in accessing the buttons. after all, it is u who is going to use the camera mah

    D80 is about 1.5k without lens. 2nd hand D70 or D70s i think can be gotten 2nd hand quite inexpensively. the rest of the cash could get u a lens within your budget but yes, ur right, they are slightly bigger than the canon 300D, 350D, and 400D...
    Photo Album - Photo Album

  5. #45

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by pRoLoS3r View Post
    Yes. Tt's true... Digital photography is cheaper, tt's wat Nikon and Canon have been doing to bring in more profits (e.g. D40?? )

    Getting a D50 would be great for you I think. Your hand not too big rightZ?
    Maybe u should consider getting a second hand D70's kit lens instead, the 18-70mm F3.5- 4.5. Its abt $250 - $300 nowadays. Its's better and the focal length gives you more flexibility.

    The course will defintely help you learn faster and maybe better.
    But maybe u want to practise first, say a month then go for the photography course.
    Grasp your mistakes first. then can appreciate the course better.

    Its up to u actually.

    hmm that wld be a good idea. so i guess i shld just get d50 + d70's kit lens? yay! and now i just cant wait for sitex!


    any of you peeps going?

  6. #46

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    haha im sure many ppl would be going sitex... usually if u want camera with freebies u would go to sitex.
    but dun forget to check out the popular shops such as CP and AP as well, cos imo, they do have better price

    btw, u can also consider the D80's kit lens. it has a bigger range. 18-135mm. with the 1.5X crop factor of D50, u get roughtly 28-200mm, pretty good wide angle to mid-tele
    Last edited by Zaknafein; 20th November 2006 at 08:03 PM.
    Photo Album - Photo Album

  7. #47

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    photography is like a deadly poison...once you are into it...hahaha

  8. #48

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    haha im sure many ppl would be going sitex... usually if u want camera with freebies u would go to sitex.
    but dun forget to check out the popular shops such as CP and AP as well, cos imo, they do have better price

    what's imo!

  9. #49

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
    photography is like a deadly poison...once you are into it...hahaha
    HMMMMM. I AM ALREADY poisoned beyond cure.
    it's my exam period now and all i do is just go online and do my research.
    and then sleep at 4 for my paper at nine am!

    tell meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee how. like that how.
    you cant find any undergrad that's half as lazy as me!

  10. #50

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    imo/imho = in my (honest) opinion
    Photo Album - Photo Album

  11. #51

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by eloera View Post
    HMMMMM. I AM ALREADY poisoned beyond cure.
    it's my exam period now and all i do is just go online and do my research.
    and then sleep at 4 for my paper at nine am!

    tell meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee how. like that how.
    you cant find any undergrad that's half as lazy as me!
    time to BBB after exams!!
    Photo Album - Photo Album

  12. #52

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    time to BBB after exams!!
    ey what's BBB!

  13. #53

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    BBB = buy buy buy
    a frequently used phrase in CS to poison others to spend money :P

    just for ur info, heres a link with all the shortforms
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...=165806&page=3

    soo... MTL BBB!!
    Photo Album - Photo Album

  14. #54
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    BBB = buy buy buy
    a frequently used phrase in CS to poison others to spend money :P

    just for ur info, heres a link with all the shortforms
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...=165806&page=3

    soo... MTL BBB!!
    Evil... but I like.. hahaha

    anyway, do remember to read more about the different systems and the pros and cons. And try it out in your hands...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  15. #55

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Evil... but I like.. hahaha

    anyway, do remember to read more about the different systems and the pros and cons. And try it out in your hands...
    good ey everyone here just wants to watch me eat grass and drink toliet water for the next few months right!

    hey you know now that i have tentatively narrowed down on nikon d50 with d70 kit lens and a sb 400 flash? i am also considering canon 400D . i aint too sure if it's right for me to say this?but when i do my research in
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/page22.asp they were comparing canon 400d with with nikon d80, which i wld reckon d80 is a better cam than nikon d50?

    it seems that 400d produces slightly clearer pics , that 's less grainy even in iso800 and higher.


    what do you guys think! which is better!

    i know it's of a personal preference and it's up to individual! but hmmm do tell me which cameras you wld prefer and why?


    and good morning to all who's in the office, in sch and at home!

  16. #56
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by eloera View Post
    good ey everyone here just wants to watch me eat grass and drink toliet water for the next few months right!

    hey you know now that i have tentatively narrowed down on nikon d50 with d70 kit lens and a sb 400 flash? i am also considering canon 400D . i aint too sure if it's right for me to say this?but when i do my research in
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos400d/page22.asp they were comparing canon 400d with with nikon d80, which i wld reckon d80 is a better cam than nikon d50?

    it seems that 400d produces slightly clearer pics , that 's less grainy even in iso800 and higher.


    what do you guys think! which is better!

    i know it's of a personal preference and it's up to individual! but hmmm do tell me which cameras you wld prefer and why?


    and good morning to all who's in the office, in sch and at home!
    better pictures? It's all in the perception and how well you can use the camera. Not everyone are good at handling each type of camera. After-all, both uses different lenses.

    Interesting choice of setup you got there. Not bad for a start...

    As for comparision of a D50 vs a D80, of coz the D80 has a better headstart considering the 10.2Mp count as well as a improved designed from the D50. But do note tat the price is much higher as well.

    I'm a noob too, started digital only a year ago. But I chose the D200 as my weapon of choice as I prefered the handling and functions from that camera. Some may even pick a D2X as their choice, but it all depends on your budget and how serious YOU wanna get.

    Stick to your choice, mebbe you can change the lens to the D80 kit lens and get a longer reach for a start. 18-135mm And keep practising. Save more along the way and you'll find yourself looking for better lenses, flashes, etc... later.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  17. #57

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    better pictures? It's all in the perception and how well you can use the camera. Not everyone are good at handling each type of camera. After-all, both uses different lenses.

    Interesting choice of setup you got there. Not bad for a start...

    As for comparision of a D50 vs a D80, of coz the D80 has a better headstart considering the 10.2Mp count as well as a improved designed from the D50. But do note tat the price is much higher as well.

    I'm a noob too, started digital only a year ago. But I chose the D200 as my weapon of choice as I prefered the handling and functions from that camera. Some may even pick a D2X as their choice, but it all depends on your budget and how serious YOU wanna get.

    Stick to your choice, mebbe you can change the lens to the D80 kit lens and get a longer reach for a start. 18-135mm And keep practising. Save more along the way and you'll find yourself looking for better lenses, flashes, etc... later.


    woah someone power seyy! D200! hmm how much did you spent back then! and lol. of cos i am like so darn serious with this, i told mum that if this's long term hobby, i may just get too broke and busy to find a bf and to settle down. she was like . heh lol.
    and that evil BBB sydrome is out. hmmmm i did consider a 18 135 lens too? i mean it's more flexible that sense ! but hahaha! it's like greedy , noe! it will never be enough some how!

    and you peeps are fuellling this greed of mine!

    hmm hahahah how much does a d80 lens cost,both first and second hand!
    Last edited by eloera; 21st November 2006 at 11:51 AM.

  18. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Yio Chu Kang, Singapore
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    this might help u http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=151190, especially post #3.

    D80 with kit lensI think first hand is abt $1.9K
    D200 Body alone first hand i think is abt $1.9K.

    Hope it helps.

  19. #59
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by eloera View Post
    woah someone power seyy! D200! hmm how much did you spent back then! and lol. of cos i am like so darn serious with this, i told mum that if this's long term hobby, i may just get too broke and busy to find a bf and to settle down. she was like . heh lol.
    and that evil BBB sydrome is out. hmmmm i did consider a 18 135 lens too? i mean it's more flexible that sense ! but hahaha! it's like greedy , noe! it will never be enough some how!

    and you peeps are fuellling this greed of mine!

    hmm hahahah how much does a d80 lens cost,both first and second hand!
    Bro pRoLoS3r has pointed you to the thread which will show you the approximate price range the cameras and lenses are going at.

    But prices do flunctuate between shops, dealers and countries. So do watch out for bargains which may pop up once in a while. And I got my D200 at a high price $2880 back in April...

    And yes, there's never enough lenses... You just wanna get more and more, but I do urge you to resist and only get those which you need. Else they will only sit in your dry box gathering dust.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  20. #60

    Default Re: A Dslr Or Slr For Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Bro pRoLoS3r has pointed you to the thread which will show you the approximate price range the cameras and lenses are going at.

    But prices do flunctuate between shops, dealers and countries. So do watch out for bargains which may pop up once in a while. And I got my D200 at a high price $2880 back in April...

    And yes, there's never enough lenses... You just wanna get more and more, but I do urge you to resist and only get those which you need. Else they will only sit in your dry box gathering dust.

    when i have save enough moolah to get my D80 i sure ask u for advice
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •