Thread: Black & White or Colour

Default Black & White or Colour

If I were to take a Colour digital photo and have it convert to Black & white using Photoshop, would the quality and effect be the same if I were to take a Black & white initially.

Default Re: Black & White or Colour

Originally posted by morganoh
    If I were to take a Colour digital photo and have it convert to Black & white using Photoshop, would the quality and effect be the same if I were to take a Black & white initially.
    No! For B/W nothing beats the real McCoy .. ie: film.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Default Re: Re: Black & White or Colour

Originally posted by Ian

No! For B/W nothing beats the real McCoy .. ie: film.
    What do you mean by ie: film.

I am refering to Original B/W digital photos compared to B/W converted from Colour digital photos using software.

Please advice
    Thank you

I usually shoot my b/w pics in b/w instead of desaturating them with PS..

really depends on what you want, a simply desaturate command in PS will give u crap with little tonality....usually get better results via the channel mixer etc...

lovers of b/w film like b/w film because of the specific grain structure, tonality, different shadow detail characteristics..etc...i have read about PS plug-ins that you can use in PS that replicate specific film characteristics, e.g a TMAX plugin or a Tri-X plugin...

oh yah, b/w film has emulsions for high iso..at 1600 or 3200 or more if you dare....try doing that with a DC or a DSLR..no matter how much you paid for it....

Default Re: Re: Re: Black & White or Colour

Originally posted by morganoh

What do you mean by ie: film.

I am refering to Original B/W digital photos compared to B/W converted from Colour digital photos using software.

Please advice
    Thank you
    film - that funny stuff that comes in a cannister and is used in a non digital camera.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Black & White or Colour

Originally posted by Ian

film - that funny stuff that comes in a cannister and is used in a non digital camera.
    Haha. Who says film isn't used in a non-digital camera? Even film cameras have those digital sensor doodads.