Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Coffee Machine

Default Re: Home Coffee Machine

Quote Originally Posted by zha View Post
    redstorm- get yourself a nice x"mas present espresso machine
    Thanks, but I don't think it's distributed locally and u need to order it overseas. I prefer the one by Nespresso which is distributed here by a local company which also supplies the capsules (Nescafe!). Yeah, going down to the company to have a look before deciding on whether to get the espresso, latte, cappucino one ($850) or the one for brewing only espresso ($600).

I am also looking for coffee-maker machine... any good brands to recommend ?

Good brands = good price. Some of them already appearing on the googleadsense below this forum! Looks like Google can read our minds.

I can think of Jura and Saeco if you're looking for a full auto. Put beans, and water and get a perfect cup of coffee. Its also tweakable for all you fussy coffee drinkers out there. Personally I use a Saeco Incanto range at home. Compared to a nespresso machine its more messy, you have a tray that collects water, and a container that collects the coffee remains (I think we call it coffee sh*t sometimes) and a brew unit that I wash every 1-2 weeks. So there's some maintenance involved. It also comes with a milk frother and a hot water dispenser to make my cappucino on weekends.

With a fully auto machine, you have to be very selective with the coffee beans. to start with, if you have a full auto machine you're probably a fussy coffee drinker anyway, so you probably know the difference between good and bad beans. The good point of course is that you can get beans from just about anywhere and the machine will take care of it.

With Nespresso you're stuck with their reload catridges. I think there are about 10-ish type of beans, but I dont like the fact that its almost like a razor blade business model. Although the per shot price is not that bad if its 60 cent each.

Then in between full auto machines and those catridge-based ones (Nespresso, Tassimo, etc), you have other types, like the one in the picture above, only problem with that type is that you have this spoon like thing where you have to stuff you pre-ground (not fresh!) coffee tight and then stick it into the machine. They use it in some coffeeshops, but what I heard is that the coffee coming out of it is not that great. I've never tried it so no comments.

Actually, the thing that will probably determine what machine you get will be your budget. For full auto machines, Juras (Swiss) are the most expensive I know (a few thousand $?). They're easily 50% more than Saecos (Italian), which probably makes as good a cup. As for me, I think if anyone knows coffee, it would be the Italians.
    Leicanaut & Nikonaut @ http://nangka.org/events

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Good brands = good price. Some of them already appearing on the googleadsense below this forum! Looks like Google can read our minds.

I can think of Jura and Saeco if you're looking for a full auto. Put beans, and water and get a perfect cup of coffee. Its also tweakable for all you fussy coffee drinkers out there. Personally I use a Saeco Incanto range at home. Compared to a nespresso machine its more messy, you have a tray that collects water, and a container that collects the coffee remains (I think we call it coffee sh*t sometimes) and a brew unit that I wash every 1-2 weeks. So there's some maintenance involved. It also comes with a milk frother and a hot water dispenser to make my cappucino on weekends.

With a fully auto machine, you have to be very selective with the coffee beans. to start with, if you have a full auto machine you're probably a fussy coffee drinker anyway, so you probably know the difference between good and bad beans. The good point of course is that you can get beans from just about anywhere and the machine will take care of it.

With Nespresso you're stuck with their reload catridges. I think there are about 10-ish type of beans, but I dont like the fact that its almost like a razor blade business model. Although the per shot price is not that bad if its 60 cent each.

Then in between full auto machines and those catridge-based ones (Nespresso, Tassimo, etc), you have other types, like the one in the picture above, only problem with that type is that you have this spoon like thing where you have to stuff you pre-ground (not fresh!) coffee tight and then stick it into the machine. They use it in some coffeeshops, but what I heard is that the coffee coming out of it is not that great. I've never tried it so no comments.

Actually, the thing that will probably determine what machine you get will be your budget. For full auto machines, Juras (Swiss) are the most expensive I know (a few thousand $?). They're easily 50% more than Saecos (Italian), which probably makes as good a cup. As for me, I think if anyone knows coffee, it would be the Italians.

With the fully automatic machine, you have to fill one chamber with beans. I'm not sure how fresh they will stay in there since it is not sealed at all, at least with the ones from Jurra.

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    With the fully automatic machine, you have to fill one chamber with beans. I'm not sure how fresh they will stay in there since it is not sealed at all, at least with the ones from Jurra.
    Its the same on the other full auto as well (chamber with beans). Generally it should be ok for a few days as you grind it only when you need to use it. I can't tell between beans that's been there out of the packaging and up to a week. After a week I dont know, since I run out of beans in less than a week.

One thing I like about the Saeco Incanto is the fact that you can take the entire brew group out, soak it in water and clean it thoroughly. Also, their spare parts are quite reasonable priced too. With proper maintenance, it should last a long time.

Its the same on the other full auto as well (chamber with beans). Generally it should be ok for a few days as you grind it only when you need to use it. I can't tell between beans that's been there out of the packaging and up to a week. After a week I dont know, since I run out of beans in less than a week.
    Singapore can be humid. If the coffee machine is in the kitchen and there's cooking going on the flavour will be affected especially when the coffee is the subtle sort like BlueMountain.
    Think they should find some way to make that chamber airtight and keep humidity away. Just an idea that I think may be useful as a feature. Jurra, Saeco, Gaggia hope you're listening..

Singapore can be humid. If the coffee machine is in the kitchen and there's cooking going on the flavour will be affected especially when the coffee is the subtle sort like BlueMountain.
    Think they should find some way to make that chamber airtight and keep humidity away. Just an idea that I think may be useful as a feature. Jurra, Saeco, Gaggia hope you're listening..
    Ok, its a different issue if you're drinking blue mountain. I'm just on standard Illy beans. I find that it makes better tasting expresso than anything out there. Its just trial and error... different beans, different temperature, different grounded size, different dosage. Just curious... what are you into for the beans?

I'm currently in a cool climate, maybe that's why I dont notice too much diff in the beans after some time. And no belacan cooking in the kitchen either. I think I'll have problem when I bring it back to singapore.

the only way to preserve your coffee powder is to keep it in the freezer, otherwise coffee will taste sour.
    see my portfolio, for your comments.

Ok, its a different issue if you're drinking blue mountain. I'm just on standard Illy beans. I find that it makes better tasting expresso than anything out there. Its just trial and error... different beans, different temperature, different grounded size, different dosage. Just curious... what are you into for the beans?

I'm currently in a cool climate, maybe that's why I dont notice too much diff in the beans after some time. And no belacan cooking in the kitchen either. I think I'll have problem when I bring it back to singapore.
    I love Jamaican Blue Mountain and Fench Roasted beans. Both opposite ends of the scale in terms of taste and strength.

I'm not really into Espresso because sometimes I find the flavour too rich. Prefer a more subtle drink that can last longer.

I do fancy blended ones once in a while like Illy or Lavazza too. But usually I prefer going to Starbucks or Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf to select my poison.

Long ago when I was a student I used to go to Whittard which was almost everywhere in the UK. Those were good times

Coming back to more equatorial climates, I really find that my beans don't last as long. I had to put them in the freezer. But there is a danger as there is condensation each time you take it out to grind. I'm not a heavy drinker but enjoy the occassional indulgence. So, storage is an important point for me.

Which is why I've taken a fancy to Nespresso :-) It suits me just fine. The coffee stays fresh and vacum sealed. Looking to buy it but those that they sell in Singapore do not have the steam nozzle for frothing milk.

Which is why I've taken a fancy to Nespresso :-) It suits me just fine. The coffee stays fresh and vacum sealed. Looking to buy it but those that they sell in Singapore do not have the steam nozzle for frothing milk.
    Yes, the machines carried by Nespresso have steam nozzle for frothing milk. Just ordered a set yesterday - a espresso, lattee, capucino machine and a seperate machine for frothing milk. Wifey wants this type of machines. For me, an espresso machine ($600) will suffice. The damage is $1,160! Spent part of my bonus even before I get it.
    Last edited by redstorm; 24th November 2006 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Yes, the machines carried by Nespresso have steam nozzle for frothing milk. Just ordered a set yesterday - a espresso, lattee, capucino machine and a seperate machine for frothing milk. Wifey wants this type of machines. For me, an espresso machine ($600) will suffice. The damage is $1,160! Spent part of my bonus even before I get it.
    hmm... maybe you can start selling espresso and cappucino downstairs, S$3 per cup, can earn $$$

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan View Post
    hmm... maybe you can start selling espresso and cappucino downstairs, S$3 per cup, can earn $$$
    Sounds good. Worth considering.

Sounds good. Worth considering.
    so do i get a few cups of free coffee for giving u the idea

Quote Originally Posted by caseytan View Post
    so do i get a few cups of free coffee for giving u the idea
    Help me serve the customers and u get all the free coffee u want.

Help me serve the customers and u get all the free coffee u want.

Have you got the machine yet? Good?

Quote Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
    Have you got the machine yet? Good?
    Yes, got my machine last month. Now enjoying a few cuppa of espresso a day. Not counting the cost of the machine, paying 76 cent a cup (per capsule) is definitely much cheaper than having it at those coffee outlets.

Are the pods the same as those they sell in supermarkets e.g. Illy E.S.E pods (easy serving Espresso)? Does the machine need much maintenance? Just wanted to know more...I am still using those semi auto type where you grind your beans, tamp it etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
    Are the pods the same as those they sell in supermarkets e.g. Illy E.S.E pods (easy serving Espresso)? Does the machine need much maintenance? Just wanted to know more...I am still using those semi auto type where you grind your beans, tamp it etc etc...
    I don't know if they look the same as those sold in the supermarkets as I have not seen it. For Nespresso machines, there are two types of pods - one looks like a miniature cup for the home range of machines while the other type is flat and round for their business range. For mine, it needs very minimal maintenance. Just empty two containers when they are full - one for small amount of water that dripped out from the machine after making each cup of coffee and the other for used pods. I usually empty them once every few days. Take a look at the websites. The first shows the round pods for its business range and the other - miniature cup-shape pod for home range. The pod for its home range machines has 13 varieties while the business range only has 6 varieties.

http://www.nespresso-pro.com/ooh/coffee_sg_en.html

http://www.nespresso.com/sg_shop/capsules.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12