Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking pictures in manual mode

Originally posted by Zerstorer
    If you want to shoot in full manual you will have to do the following.

First, appraise the scene and decide which is the important elements that need to be correctly exposed.

Then select the metering mode depending on what is available to you(Center weighted or Spot).

Point the metering area at your important subject and adjust aperture/shutter till it reads a correct exposure.

Shoot.

Knowing how to shoot in manual or overriding/compensating the A/S/P program modes in your camera requires you to know exactly how each mode of metering in your camera behaves. This will require you to first read the manual/web for a thorough explaination and confirm it through some sample shots. After that you would have a better idea of how the camera works.
    You mention on the web.. where on the web?

Whats the diff between center weighted/spot?

you mean the square thingy on the view finder?

also...the only way to know if it reads a correct exposure... would be after developing.. right?

thanks people for all the advice thus far

Originally posted by Swakoo
    You mention on the web.. where on the web?
    The easiest thing would be to read your manual first these are the basic details that will definitely be described. Else you will have to search online discussion with other who use the same camera as u.

As for basic metering modes for your canon camera:

Evaluative Metering(aka Matrix/Multipattern Metering in other brands)-:Camera analyzes the scene and guesses which elements in the scene is important according to a heuristic algorithm based on a database of different types of shots.

Center Weighted: Large weightage (often 90% or more) accorded to the center metering area(around the focus sensors) Check manual for specifics.

Spot: Area under the spot meter determines the exposure.(check manual for specifics)

Whats the diff between center weighted/spot?
    The weightage given to the metered area and the size of the metered area. Check your manual for the specifics as this varies between individual cameras.

you mean the square thingy on the view finder?
    Wouldn't know unless I have your camera. The square thingy can be the focus sensor as well.(Though it also includes the metering sensor) You need to check the manual or some online detailed guide for the exact location.

also...the only way to know if it reads a correct exposure... would be after developing.. right?
    Make sure you ask for uncorrected prints or the developer will compensate for you .

you mean can ask for compensation so steady one ah!? haha

anyway, can select this evaluative mode on my camera meh? hmm think i better go read up more then

thanks

Originally posted by Swakoo
    you mean can ask for compensation so steady one ah!? haha

anyway, can select this evaluative mode on my camera meh? hmm think i better go read up more then

thanks
    Your G2 should have Evaluative metering at least.

Compensation is usually automatically applied to negative prints unless you specifically request not to.

For some metering details, have a look here:
    http://www.photozone.de/4Technique/metering.htm

thanks

what abt the 500n? A 35mm SLR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12