Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Taking pictures in manual mode

  1. #1

    Question Taking pictures in manual mode

    I have been using EOS 500n and G2 camera..

    one thing i can never comprehend.. is how to use manual mode to take picture.. i dunno how to appreciate the situation and decide the aperture and shutter speed... what you guys advice?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Taking pictures in manual mode

    Originally posted by Swakoo
    I have been using EOS 500n and G2 camera..

    one thing i can never comprehend.. is how to use manual mode to take picture.. i dunno how to appreciate the situation and decide the aperture and shutter speed... what you guys advice?
    Set desired aperture. Set shutter speed to match the aperture (the built-in meter will guide you on this). Decide whether to use something different from suggested (from experience).

    Regards
    CK

  3. #3

    Default Re: Taking pictures in manual mode

    Originally posted by Swakoo
    I have been using EOS 500n and G2 camera..

    one thing i can never comprehend.. is how to use manual mode to take picture.. i dunno how to appreciate the situation and decide the aperture and shutter speed... what you guys advice?
    any particular reason why you want to use manual mode? aperture priority/shutter priority not giving correct exposures?

  4. #4

    Default

    nah just want to learn.. or should i learn though aperture/shutter piority instead?

    ckiang, what you saying.. it seems to be like using the aperture/shutter piority?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Swakoo
    nah just want to learn.. or should i learn though aperture/shutter piority instead?

    ckiang, what you saying.. it seems to be like using the aperture/shutter piority?
    Similar. But the "matching" is not done automatically.

    Regards
    CK

  6. #6

    Talking Re: Taking pictures in manual mode

    Originally posted by Swakoo
    I have been using EOS 500n and G2 camera..

    one thing i can never comprehend.. is how to use manual mode to take picture.. i dunno how to appreciate the situation and decide the aperture and shutter speed... what you guys advice?
    hmmm ..... maybe u can try to uze A mode ..... let the cam decide the shutter speed for u ..... n u juzt need to decide on the aperture size ( frm there u can control the DOF ) .....

    then next time u more confident liao then switch to M ..... or when the light condition iz very complicated ( for example: when shooting firwworkz ) .....

    1 thing u can do iz to join CS for shootz ..... then u can azk around for advice on how to shoot under different situationz .....


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Originally posted by Swakoo
    nah just want to learn.. or should i learn though aperture/shutter piority instead?

    ckiang, what you saying.. it seems to be like using the aperture/shutter piority?
    In manual mode, you set the both aperture and shutter speed. The +/- f stops is how far your setting is from built-in metering.

    In aperture priority, you set the ap, the camera decide the shutter speed to match based on it's built-in metering.

    In Shutter priority, you set the speed, the camera decide the aperture to match based on it's built-in metering.

    Happy shooting! BTW, I started with aperture priority, and I take note of the shutter speed (handheld withou camera shake).

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Lintas
    Posts
    208

    Default

    But I would suggest you to do as the tradition way in photographing. Shooting with fullmanual mode, it will built up the feelings and experiences of apertue and shutter speed combinations in general fields of shooting. So the next time you wanna shoot with either apertue or shutter priority, you will know a better outcome of your picture.

  9. #9

    Default

    I see... i didn't know the camera +/- is use to show how far my settings is from the built in metering... my eos500n and G2 will have this +/- thing right?

    I also thought that full manual mode would be better.. but I am just thinking.. it will be a lot of money spend from practising it.. or if I do it digitally.. would it be the same to apply it on SLR camera? digital don need to develop...

    cheers

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    near e4
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Originally posted by Snowcrash


    In manual mode, you set the both aperture and shutter speed. The +/- f stops is how far your setting is from built-in metering.

    In aperture priority, you set the ap, the camera decide the shutter speed to match based on it's built-in metering.

    In Shutter priority, you set the speed, the camera decide the aperture to match based on it's built-in metering.

    Happy shooting! BTW, I started with aperture priority, and I take note of the shutter speed (handheld withou camera shake).
    but fully manual mode and aperture/shuttle mode use different metering, right? at least that's what my dynax 5 manual says.

  11. #11

    Default

    wah cheem.. i think i am slow in this...

    and it will be worst when i get to using hotshoe...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    near e4
    Posts
    375

    Default

    just something to share :

    when you use flash in the aperture priority, the camera will try to use the fastest shutle speed where possible.

    hence i notice that even in dark lightnings, the shuttle speed is either 1/125s or 1/60s and the camera indicates that the exposure is correct. however, using the same aperture and shuttle settings in the manual mode, the camera indicates that it is underexposed.

    happy shooting.

  13. #13

    Default

    Originally posted by iceman
    but fully manual mode and aperture/shuttle mode use different metering, right? at least that's what my dynax 5 manual says.
    no, metering mode is independent of the shooting mode.

  14. #14

    Default

    Originally posted by iceman
    when you use flash in the aperture priority, the camera will try to use the fastest shutle speed where possible.
    note that this behavious is very much dependant on the camera you are using. Minolta's flash systems works as you have described, whereas Canon's flash system works very differently.

    For Canon in aperture priority mode, the shutter speed will always be set to expose the background correctly. So by default aperture priority mode means slow-sync for flash exposure.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Originally posted by munfai
    no, metering mode is independent of the shooting mode.
    Actually, it's a yes and no answer. Yes, because some cameras always use certain metering modes for certain shooting modes. For example, the eos 500N uses center-weighted metering for manual mode and evaluative metering for shutter priority. No because more advanced cameras allow you to switch metering mode regardless of the shooting mode used.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Lintas
    Posts
    208

    Wink

    Actually, whatever metering the camera is using, User should start learning from the basic centre weighted metering. With pratices and time, you will build up the instinct of what combination of shutter and aperture you are going for. Basic still counts, just go ahead with trial and error.

  17. #17

    Default

    Originally posted by crazyhorse
    Actually, it's a yes and no answer. Yes, because some cameras always use certain metering modes for certain shooting modes. For example, the eos 500N uses center-weighted metering for manual mode and evaluative metering for shutter priority. No because more advanced cameras allow you to switch metering mode regardless of the shooting mode used.
    point taken... I was commenting based only on the Dynax 5

  18. #18

    Default

    one good scenario where manual exposure is well used: using flash in evening shots.

  19. #19

    Default

    hmmm so.. in order to get season with playing around with shutter speed and aperture.. have to do trial and error.. and on a 35mm film camera, it means developing and see the result... right? $$$...

  20. #20

    Default

    If you want to shoot in full manual you will have to do the following.

    First, appraise the scene and decide which is the important elements that need to be correctly exposed.

    Then select the metering mode depending on what is available to you(Center weighted or Spot).

    Point the metering area at your important subject and adjust aperture/shutter till it reads a correct exposure.

    Shoot.

    Knowing how to shoot in manual or overriding/compensating the A/S/P program modes in your camera requires you to know exactly how each mode of metering in your camera behaves. This will require you to first read the manual/web for a thorough explaination and confirm it through some sample shots. After that you would have a better idea of how the camera works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •