Thread: Nikon D40, hands-on preview

Post Nikon D40, hands-on preview

As we knew all along the leaks were fairly accurate, Nikon has today announced the six megapixel, compact, 'entry level' D40 digital SLR. This new digital SLR loses some of the D50's features but gains some new ones from the D80. Headline details are a new Multi-CAM530 three area AF sensor, 3D Color Matrix Metering II, custom Auto ISO (same as D80), 2.5 fps continuous shooting, no status LCD and in-camera retouching. The D40 also has lots of nice user interface touches designed to make using the camera an easier experience for first time users. We have a production D40 and have produced a detailed hands-on preview in anticipation of a full review in the next few weeks.

More...

Default Re: Nikon D40, hands-on preview

hey... this is a good news to those who wish to enter the photography world...
    wonder how much is the price?

Quote Originally Posted by ivan View Post
    hey... this is a good news to those who wish to enter the photography world...
    wonder how much is the price?
    No motor drive pin... Silent Wave lenses only? thought many lenses are still motorless?
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

I feel this will be a very gd entry camera for ppl moving up from prosumer.. Its doesnt really matters that it loses a few functions, it gains some useful functions too. Most importantly is its price(which I think will be very reasonable) and the ability to produce gd pics..
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron80 View Post
    I feel this will be a very gd entry camera for ppl moving up from prosumer.. Its doesnt really matters that it loses a few functions, it gains some useful functions too. Most importantly is its price(which I think will be very reasonable) and the ability to produce gd pics..
    Personally I think those owning prosumers (including myself) will be more discerning and opt for mid-range DSLRs such as the D70s/80 or the 400D/30D instead.

However, for first timers, why not? Go for the D40 if the price's reasonable enough
    Black Rabbit Photography
    DeviantArt | Multiply | Flickr

so any idea of the price???

Quote Originally Posted by iwancamera View Post
    so any idea of the price???
    By looking at the price from Dpreview at US$599, I estimated SG should be around $850-$900.
    Nikon D5000 | NikKor AF-S 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G VR | Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G | SB-400