Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Basic Set-up

Default Re: help with lenses

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjizeng View Post
    im a newbie with a Nikon D50. need some advice on what lenses i should aim to invest in, more for landscape/architecture/people shots.. mostly in low light too.

A lot depends on what you mean by landscape/architectural/people photography.

I assume your perspective of landscape and architectural photography is "mainstream", meaning that you will want everything to be in focus. In which case, you will want to have an enormous depth of field. And assuming that you are going to take landscape images at sunrise and sundown with little light, it means that you are going to need really slow shutter speeds.

So forget about fast lenses. Invest in a sturdy tripod for landscape and architectural photography. There are of course photographers who do landscape and architectural photography hand-held. But theirs are not the "mainstream" landscape/architectural photography.

For people photography, what seems to be desirable is to have one that can give "nice" OOF background.

Get a fast lens for this. I suggest a 50mm f1.8 or faster.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Image circle. The lenses being compared was the 17-35/2.8 and the 17-55/2.8DX. The latter has a reduced image circle for DX crop.
    No malice meant!

OK, I think I understand what you were trying to say. It is true that the 17-35 has a bigger IC because it was designed for full frame. And these are "harder" to make than the DX lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Image circle. The lenses being compared was the 17-35/2.8 and the 17-55/2.8DX. The latter has a reduced image circle for DX crop.
    Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    No malice meant!

OK, I think I understand what you were trying to say. It is true that the 17-35 has a bigger IC because it was designed for full frame. And these are "harder" to make than the DX lenses.
    Very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    No malice meant!

Yeah.. you got my point.

Default Re: Help with lenses

ah.. thanks guys!

yeah i already have a SB800. just got a 50mm f1.8 too. love it man. heh.

18mm-200mm is a wide angle and telephoto lens right? was intending to get another telephoto lens after getting the D80 kit.

Quote Originally Posted by leithunder View Post
    18mm-200mm is a wide angle and telephoto lens right? was intending to get another telephoto lens after getting the D80 kit.
    if you intend to get 18-200, then you should just get d80 body...

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjizeng View Post
    im currently using
    1. 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 ED DX
    2. 70-300mm f4-5.6
    Yr 2 lens system will do fine, or u can consider 20mm for landscape, it has better distortion control than your 18-55, and not as expensive as the popular wide angle zoom.

Try to shoot more with your current setup and understand it.
    Then after you will know what you need and start to sell off and buy new lenses.

As you have mention, "you'll shoot more for landscape/architecture/people shots.. mostly in low light too." (Lens to recommend is Nikkor AF-S 17-35mm F2.8)

But you may like to get more in exposing yourself to your camera and current lenses so that once you have change another set of lenses, you will get the picture output that you want.

hmm.. yeah i agree. thanks guys! for now i've decided to just save save save and play around with my lenses. will take your inputs into consideration..

hello guys,
    whats the cheapest but good wide angle lens for nikon mount third party lens is okay any reccomendation? the widest i got is 50 mm.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peanutbeer View Post
    hello guys,
    whats the cheapest but good wide angle lens for nikon mount third party lens is okay any reccomendation? the widest i got is 50 mm.

thanks
    if u wan ultra wide to wide, there's the Tokina 12-24. heard from a lot of users who recommend it as it supposedly is a gd piece of glass n cheaper than the Nikkor 12-24 as well.. (image quality difference, i heard, is not tat great..)

Quote Originally Posted by SolBadGuy View Post
    if u wan ultra wide to wide, there's the Tokina 12-24. heard from a lot of users who recommend it as it supposedly is a gd piece of glass n cheaper than the Nikkor 12-24 as well.. (image quality difference, i heard, is not tat great..)
    how much will it cost me for that?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peanutbeer View Post
    how much will it cost me for that?

thanks
    There is a price list post in Nikon sub-forum.

GO check it out there.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123