Thread: Transparent Coating for Prints

Question Transparent Coating for Prints

Hi, anybody ever tried to protect prints (from inkjet printer) with transparent coating?

Something like Epson R800 with the gloss coating. I tried to use the common clear spray paint, which cost around SGD 4.5 - 5.0 per can. Good enough, but needs practice and luck. I mean, it is not that easy to make an even and thin coating, need some practice. Too thick, and it become ugly. And luck, because once dust settle on the clear paint while it's wet, I cannot remove it.

The good thing is, it is cheap, durable coating, and I don't see it affects the color.

I heard there is clear spray paint especially for photograph, but I don't know where to buy, and how different it is from the common cheap clear spray paint.

Anybody has tried it? Or have better suggestion to protect prints?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Transparent Coating for Prints

I use Krylon's Preserve It! It's available both in Gloss and Matte.

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details

I think it's available from Art Friend in Bras Basah Complex.
    Last edited by CantikFotos; 30th November 2006 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks for the info! Will go to Art Friend when have time.

Don't mind to share how much does it cost?

Any experience with Glossy and Matte? Is it easy to use, I mean to create thin and even coating on the print? How long does it needs to completely dry? Thanks again!

With the common clear spray paint, it is not that easy to create thin and even coating. Even though it said to dry in 10 - 15 minutes, practically I have to leave it for about half a day for the coating to completely dry.

Quote Originally Posted by bpribadi View Post
    Thanks for the info! Will go to Art Friend when have time.

Don't mind to share how much does it cost?
    As I recall, it costs under $10 Sing.......but it's been a while since I bought a new supply.

Quote Originally Posted by bpribadi View Post
    Any experience with Glossy and Matte? Is it easy to use, I mean to create thin and even coating on the print? How long does it needs to completely dry?
    I've only used the matte......and (as with any spray) it takes a few prints to get to where you know what you're doing. I did about 2-3 test prints before I was satisfied with the result. It dries very quickly but I always give my prints about 24 hours. I use 300gm watercolor paper so I want to be completely sure.

And........important. Be sure and use the spray OUTDOORS.
    Last edited by CantikFotos; 30th November 2006 at 01:22 PM.

The Krylon preserve it wasn't available when I went to ArtFriend a few days ago. Other type cost around SGD 15.- so I decided to master my skill with the common clear spray paint which cost much lower, around SGD 5.-.

I use dye ink (Canon BCI-6) on Ilford Smooth Pearl Paper. When hang on the wall, exposed to sun light in the morning, without protection, the color, especially black start fading in just one week. After about 2 weeks, the black become reddish. With the clear spray paint coating, no fading so far after 2 weeks. So it works