Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to chose...Olympus, Canon or Nikon?? Pls share your comment...

Default Re: What to chose...Olympus, Canon or Nikon?? Pls share your comment...

OK, so many reports already.

Just to add a few small pointers.

(1) If you want fast and cheap (but very good) lens, good for portraiture, then go for the 50mm f1.8. Should be below $200.
    (2) Buy the camera with the kit lens.
    (3) Don't know much about Sony and Pentax, but the Canon kit lens (18-55?) has a reputation that it is very good as paper weight. The Nikon 18-55 is nice and sharp, but not good as paper weight because it has a lot of plastic in it. Must handle carefully (you'll handle it carefully anyway, right?).
    (4) Don't know much about the D40, some say it will only use AFS lense. AFS used to mean high-end lenses in Nikon territory. Recently they managed to "develop a new type of SWM motor" and give performance (almost) as good. Now the AFS (along with ED) don't mean very much anymore. And the 2 kit lenses are AFS, cheap, good optically, but build wise not fantastic (polite way of say lousy, but take it in context, I have old manual built-lilke tank lenses, but I also have the 18-55 kit lens for travel and family outing purposes). Must check out if D40 indeed can only use AFS lenses. If so, I would stay away from it as it seriously limit your lens choices.
    (5) Oh and try to find out the reputation of the Sony (aka Minolta aka Konica Minolta) kit lens, and that of the Pentax and Oly, to be sure. Decide if they are up to the mark.

That gets you 10% of the way to getting your first DSLR. He he...

Last but not least.

(6) Go to a good shop with lots of patience. Pick up your choices, shot a few shots, simulate your requirements to understand handling. Then decide. (1)-(5) above would more or less take care of optical quality. So the most important thing is how do you like handling the camera? If the camera is the best in the world, but built in such a way that you don't like (e.g. I will never get the D2X or similar camera as they will give me bad backs), you should not get it.

After that, go shoot lots of photos and enjoy using it to capture the memories. Stay away from forum where people tell you the new XXX from YYY is so much better than your ZZZ....

By the way, Canon 3XXD series suck big time..... Kidding.

Hi guys,

thanks so much for all the reply... will have to disgest the info.. but till some of you guys mentioned it, I almost forgot about Pentax.

well my next question is:
    where can I go to try out some of the cameras mentioned, of course they shld be patient with me... hahahah
    or perhaps if any major fair is coming up and likely to have some promotion??

I would really like to get something soon, need to capture those moments of my son w/o those blurry effect....

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by perng05 View Post
    Hi guys,

thanks so much for all the reply... will have to disgest the info.. but till some of you guys mentioned it, I almost forgot about Pentax.

well my next question is:
    where can I go to try out some of the cameras mentioned, of course they shld be patient with me... hahahah
    or perhaps if any major fair is coming up and likely to have some promotion??

I would really like to get something soon, need to capture those moments of my son w/o those blurry effect....

cheers
    Just get a fast lens... that'll help in removing the blur...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

If you are in Malalysia/ KL on the 1st to the 3rd Dec, then it's the PC Fair. The cameras are also in the fair. But limited lenses and stuff like that. More of a Point and shoot affair.

Most shops should allow you to play with the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    OK, so many reports already.

(1) If you want fast and cheap (but very good) lens, good for portraiture, then go for the 50mm f1.8. Should be below $200.
    (2) Buy the camera with the kit lens.
    (3) Don't know much about Sony and Pentax, but the Canon kit lens (18-55?) has a reputation that it is very good as paper weight. The Nikon 18-55 is nice and sharp, but not good as paper weight because it has a lot of plastic in it. Must handle carefully (you'll handle it carefully anyway, right?).
    ACtually, yeah. Perhaps your best bet is to get a 50 1.8 instead. It's slower than the 1.4, but not by too much. It's useful to check availability and price, even in nikon/canon mounts it's not always easily available.

If you're going to be forced to use flash, make sure you get something with a fast flash sync - unfortunately I think that none of the cameras I mentioned has this - I think the D80 and XTi are required, but I stand to be corrected on this.

The pentax kit lens is built better (metal mount, proper focus ring), but i doubt it's optically better than the nikon. It doesn't exhibit the diffraction problem of the most recent canon 18-55 though.

May I ask a silly question...what's all this fuss about shooting babies with the flash?? Can the photographer not bounce the flash? Why shoot directly at the kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Blu-By-U View Post
    May I ask a silly question...what's all this fuss about shooting babies with the flash?? Can the photographer not bounce the flash? Why shoot directly at the kid?
    Infants' eyes very sensitive. Don't use flash for safety. Toddlers bounce flash ok.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    ???? which additional colour channel? I do feel that the s3pro has visibly better tonality/graduations when you shoot raw compared to my previous D70, Km7D and oly E1.

Color... I think oly E1 is better but this is SUBJECTIVE.
    If I remember correctly, S3pro has the additional channel of Magenta. When viewed from screen, can't really tell the diff but once on print, it is a very different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Blu-By-U View Post
    Yup....

Babies eyes are sensitive to strong light and under 6 months, their eyes are not developed to protect themselves against such flashes. As such, we normally recommend shooting kids with high speed lenses and without flashes.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Thank you for the explanation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12