Thread: Remebrance

Default Remebrance

http://www.pbase.com/image/11782088

Picture of a World War II Memorial in Manchester.

I know the picture isn't that good (some portions of the sky is over-expose and the memorial is a little under-expose) but no polariser to help me (will a polariser help in the first place?)

I was hoping to capture the feeling that the people who died fighting so that there is a brighter future for their loved ones, sorta represented by the old building on the right "transitioning" the new building on the left.

ok ok, my writing skills not that good but I hopes like it! (The picture that is!)

Default Re: Remebrance

Originally posted by Evilmerlin
    http://www.pbase.com/image/11782088

will a polariser help in the first place....
    Yep, it will help.....

A polarizer may help to darken the blue sky but I doubt if it will do any good to tone down the clouds. You loose 1 stop generally for using a polarizer but the contrast between the cloud and the buildings remain the same so that the clouds will still be over-exposed if you meter off the buildings.

I see the following options:

1. Take on a cloudless day, but travel schedule and weather may not allow.

2. Take at a different time of day when the sky is darker, again travel schedule dependent.

3. Take 2 shots of the same scene (tripod may be needed), one metered for the sky and one metered for the buildings, and then blend the 2 shots digitally. Since the separation between the buildings and the sky is very clear cut, it will nor be difficult to blend the 2 shots.

4. If you have a very powerful flash, you might want to try metering for the sky and use the flash to fill in for the monument. The buildings in the background will turn out dark though.

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

I think I'll give the 3rd method a try when time permits. Actually 1,2 and 3 all viable for me I am studying here!

Thanks for the help!

RedDevil7
    Guests

posted by evilmerlin

Picture of a World War II Memorial in Manchester.

I know the picture isn't that good (some portions of the sky is over-expose and the memorial is a little under-expose) but no polariser to help me (will a polariser help in the first place?)

I was hoping to capture the feeling that the people who died fighting so that there is a brighter future for their loved ones, sorta represented by the old building on the right "transitioning" the new building on the left.

ok ok, my writing skills not that good but I hopes like it! (The picture that is!)

hi! 2 bad the backgnd has 2 buildings. furthermore both buildings r different in design n contrast so strongly aginst the memorial monument. if u can get it against a clear blue sky i think would b perfect. wasted hor? its always like dat. some nice structures always cannot get nice backdrops.