Thread: Outdoor Camp Advice

Default Outdoor Camp Advice

would be shooting for my school's leadership training camp at the end of the month.. obstacle course, rock climbing, team-building activities etc.. would also include some sea sport activites like kayaking..

anybody have any experience with this kind of event before? like what to look out for, what gear to bring, what precautions to take etc..

Default Re: Outdoor Camp Advice

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    would be shooting for my school's leadership training camp at the end of the month.. obstacle course, rock climbing, team-building activities etc.. would also include some sea sport activites like kayaking..

anybody have any experience with this kind of event before? like what to look out for, what gear to bring, what precautions to take etc..
    My friend did this b4, he said that camera was secured in the teacher's airconned bunk, so safe at night cause they slept in tents. He was using sch cam so spoil nvr mind, that's what he told me.

Beware wetting the camera and bumping it aroung too much, other than that, it is tougher than you think...

also thinking of getting the aqua-pac for my compact.. any idea how much is it and where to get it?

Take note of the sun... Try not to expose it to extreme heat... You may want to have something to secure it to yourself other than the stripe itself... Mantain your camera everyday...

also thinking of getting the aqua-pac for my compact.. any idea how much is it and where to get it?
    you may want to get it from beach road? Look for those outdoor sports shop... They should have what you want... Beware, these waterproof bags are not 100% guranteed... I suffered before...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Deregistered

actually...if you keep thinking of protecting your equipment...you are nv going to get any imagine...you already spent so much on pro equipment which are meant to take abuse from such condition

if you going to try take all precuation on your camera...i rather put it at home where its safe and sound and pay someone who is more willing to do such events...

just wanna clear somethings up.. just a student so I'm not being paid for this and its the school's dSLR so I'm responsible for it..

anyway, thanks for all the advice so far.. just another question, how do you take pics at very low light levels.. like at night, campfire etc..

high ISO

or slow sync flash possible as well.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

just wanna clear somethings up.. just a student so I'm not being paid for this and its the school's dSLR so I'm responsible for it..

anyway, thanks for all the advice so far.. just another question, how do you take pics at very low light levels.. like at night, campfire etc..
    Oh my... then you really got to take good care of the camera! The best is don't take up that responsiblity of taking care a camera that does not belong to you!

When people ask me to take care of their things and tell me: "pls treat it as yours..." ohoh, I will tell them, I abuse my stuffs...

spare batteries.. blower.. tissues.. and dry case.

very dangerous for camera to go near sea.. VERY.

Deregistered

its best you reject this assignment...they going to screw u upside down if you damage it...

at night...have a tripod ready...use min f2.8 lens...

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    its best you reject this assignment...they going to screw u upside down if you damage it...

at night...have a tripod ready...use min f2.8 lens...
    Aiyo... I confirm is kit lens ar... School wouldn't buy expensive stuff one... Let me guess: Most likely is 300D or 350D with kit lens...

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Youhong View Post
    Aiyo... I confirm is kit lens ar... School wouldn't buy expensive stuff one... Let me guess: Most likely is 300D or 350D with kit lens...
    haha...hard to say le...

thanks for all the concern.. what I really want to ask is about the low light part..

we have a couple of 2.8 lenses.. so do you use Av or M mode with flash? Av might give too low a shutter speed, may have subject movement even if you use a tripod.. but if you use M mode and set the shutter yourself, would you get the correct exposure?

thanks for all the concern.. what I really want to ask is about the low light part..

we have a couple of 2.8 lenses.. so do you use Av or M mode with flash? Av might give too low a shutter speed, may have subject movement even if you use a tripod.. but if you use M mode and set the shutter yourself, would you get the correct exposure?
    Just flash then... coupled with a larger aperture of about f4 to f5.6, it should give you decent shots
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

By trial and error. You will go with dSLR with preview LCD don't you?

Regards,
    Arto.

Wah.. your sch quite rich .. got f2.8 for u all to use... so nice ...
    Either tt or my sch quite poor...

U are going for kayaking right... if u are on the kayak urself... better dont bring the dslr unless u got waterhousing.....
    if not later capsize or ppl splash jiu jialat le ...

If u on those safety boats.. you can bring along ... but they will be at a distance .. a tele might help.. but they might still splash u .. so watch out. This Depends...

As for low lighting ... i suggest u practise some flash photography at night first.. cuz if u going have it as ur first try flash photography... it might turn out quick bad...

I dont think a tripod will be useful... cuz I think photos u take will be objects moving..
    Maybe can shoot at wide open (e.g 2.8) and fill flash maybe??? depends on the lighting conditions.

There is no definite rule for photography...

I might be wrong...
    Hope this helps.

If you shoot with flash on AV, most cams will auto tilt between 1/60 to 1/250 and if strong sunlight will be 1/2000-8000 depending.

seldom will you see it become 1/20 or something slower unless its dark and you pressed AEL.

with that, i'd use manual instead of aperture priority, cos when you shoot at 1/60 in dark places, the background is dark. You need to expose the background. so meter the background with flash off, preferable, iso 400 or 800, if surrounding acceptable, then take a test shot with flash, you'll find it more pleasant... otherwise AEL is your best friend...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by pRoLoS3r View Post
    Wah.. your sch quite rich .. got f2.8 for u all to use... so nice ...
    Either tt or my sch quite poor...

U are going for kayaking right... if u are on the kayak urself... better dont bring the dslr unless u got waterhousing.....
    if not later capsize or ppl splash jiu jialat le ...

If u on those safety boats.. you can bring along ... but they will be at a distance .. a tele might help.. but they might still splash u .. so watch out. This Depends...

As for low lighting ... i suggest u practise some flash photography at night first.. cuz if u going have it as ur first try flash photography... it might turn out quick bad...

I dont think a tripod will be useful... cuz I think photos u take will be objects moving..
    Maybe can shoot at wide open (e.g 2.8) and fill flash maybe??? depends on the lighting conditions.

There is no definite rule for photography...

I might be wrong...
    Hope this helps.
    never say f2.8 on simi lens mah, maybe 28-75 tamron or sigma f2.8.. ok mah... if 300mm f2.8 IS USM... then i really wanna go study that school liao...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Just keep away from sea spray and sand. These are anti-camera elements. If need be use a plastic bag to cover while shooting or use telephoto zoom and snipe. Campfire will be best if you can capture the campfire light ( Just a thought). Use flash as you can.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)