Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Thread: help me build a new PC. budget S$1.5k/.

Default Re: help me build a new PC. budget S$1.5k/.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    halo! long curly hair doesn't mean i;m a gal! ask jeanie! she's a gal!

i'm a fat man!

these are useful info to me with regards to computer of which i know nuts.
    Hahaha, sorry.
    Go to sitex this thu, & check out those Branded PC.
    If u still prefer DIYing, then better get a friend who is knowledgeable abt computer to shop with u.
    Pros & Cons abt DIY were stated in above posts.
    In ur case, it is more Cons. But it is satisfying to troubleshoot & learn from the process. But much time will be wasted.

My 1st DIY pc was setup by my friend. I knew nuts abt pc at that time too.
    Whenever there's a problem, I would call him & troubleshoot over the phone. after some time, I felt bad to keep calling him, hence, I started surfing net & post questions online(which I still do). Read magazines/books do helps.Hey, U need to start somewhere rite?

Quote Originally Posted by evq View Post
    Hahaha, sorry.
    If u still prefer DIYing, then better get a friend who is knowledgeable abt computer to shop with u.
    In ur case, it is more Cons. But it is satisfying to troubleshoot & learn from the process. But much time will be wasted.

Whenever there's a problem, I would call him & troubleshoot over the phone. after some time, I felt bad to keep calling him, hence, I started surfing net & post questions online(which I still do). Read magazines/books do helps.Hey, U need to start somewhere rite?
    yeah man!!! my pc was built by my elder bro some 5yrs back. no worries, with so much help from CSers, sure can do a good job. only prob is, too many choices too little $$!!!

cheers!!!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

yeah man!!! my pc was built by my elder bro some 5yrs back. no worries, with so much help from CSers, sure can do a good job. only prob is, too many choices too little $$!!!

cheers!!!
    Cut down on HDD & RAM for the moment, these can be upgraded anytime when pocket not so tight. Moreover, RAM prices are on the high side now.

Cut down on HDD & RAM for the moment, these can be upgraded anytime when pocket not so tight. Moreover, RAM prices are on the high side now.
    HDD confirm.
    RAM, no choice. at least 1gb to start with. i'm working on a P4 2.4ghz and 1gb ram.

its not blazingly fast, nor is it crawling. so i'm fine with a faster processor and the same ram.
    that would be like photoshop or Nikon Capture on steroids to me liao.

I second that.. Save more money buy harddisk.. heard tat maxtor 1000gb = S$155

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    If editing photos only, CPU also no need so high end liao. Get a future proof mobo with low end CPU, save a lot. Then upgrade when need. RAM already 2GB n GPU mid range one, no fear on photo editing.

Quote Originally Posted by erizai View Post
    I second that.. Save more money buy harddisk.. heard tat maxtor 1000gb = S$155
    I saw this $155 for a Maxtor external 500GB x 2 on Digital Life today . Dunno if it's a printing error.

Then I no need to backup DVD until xiao liao

I saw this $155 for a Maxtor external 500GB x 2 on Digital Life today . Dunno if it's a printing error.

Yeah...me too was challenged by my boss on this and she suggest we can scrap our $100k SAN storage project and give end user 1 each of this....siao...a 320GB HDD cost $160+ just last week so it was no brainer they made a mistake.......I think ST owe reader a clarification tomorrow if not the advertiser will get into trouble
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 29th November 2006 at 12:33 AM.

I want to buy buy buy.... if 155, if not 155 i die die die

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Yeah...me too was challenged by my boss on this and she suggest we can scapped our $100k SAN storage project and give end user 1 each of this....siao...a 320GB HDD cost $160+ just last week so it was no brainer they made a mistake.......I think ST owe reader a clarification tomorrow if not the advertiser will get into trouble

Yeah...me too was challenged by my boss on this and she suggest we can scapped our $100k SAN storage project and give end user 1 each of this....siao...a 320GB HDD cost $160+ just last week so it was no brainer they made a mistake.......I think ST owe reader a clarification tomorrow if not the advertiser will get into trouble
    mistake or not, i will charge down and do wat singaporeans do best, q-up, complain and then bang table and demand the goods at the stated price.

Yes.. we should do that...

mistake or not, i will charge down and do wat singaporeans do best, q-up, complain and then bang table and demand the goods at the stated price.

I wanna buy also with the stated price.

Hahaha, sorry.

yup. go to Sitex and check out the branded pc specs and you may find out that u can actually buy a better one if DIY with the same amount of $$$, there is no right or wrong to purchase branded pc as they come with warranty support (whenever the pc got problem, call them and 'kao be kao bu' to them).
    if you can wait, it is better for you to wait until next year. AMD will come out quad-core CPU around Q2 next year. At that time, windows vista come out, a series of DX10 graphic card come out, hybrid-hdd (may) come out, Quad-core CPU price drop (need not to say Dual-core), DDR2 800MHz RAM price drop, and then give urself more time to learn PC from mag, net, etc... then choose urself a ultimate pc...
    note: recommend not to buy lenovo, i've seen how "good" their hardware is.. i couldn't bear that kind of pc for my own

hi guys!!

thanks for all the input thus far!!

my sad PC finally died.

i'm going to get my new pc in a while...

Intel E6300 + Asus P5B-E Plus ----> S$566/.
    Seagate 320GB Sata2 7200/10 ----> S$166/.
    PowerColor X800 GTO16 256MB DDR3 ----> S$159/.
    or Asus EN7600GS Silent 256MB DDR2 PCI-E ----> S$192/.
    2 X 1GB Kingston DDR2 667 ----> S$358/.
    Sony/NEC DVD +-RW/CDRW Combo ----> S$75/.
    CoolerMaster 430w + CoolerMaster Elite 330 casing ----> S$138/.(Bell@SLS)
    or Antec SmartPower 400w 20/24 Pin S$95/. + CoolerMaster Elite 330 --- > S$79/.

i guess that's about it all. thanks!!!

Christmas shopping... *sigh*
    Last edited by Cheesecake; 25th December 2006 at 10:36 AM.

hi guys!!

thanks for all the input thus far!!

my sad PC finally died.

i'm going to get my new pc in a while...

Intel E6300 + Asus P5B-E Plus ----> S$566/.
    Seagate 320GB Sata2 7200/10 ----> S$166/.
    PowerColor X800 GTO16 256MB DDR3 ----> S$159/.
    or Asus EN7600GS Silent 256MB DDR2 PCI-E ----> S$192/.
    2 X 1GB Kingston DDR2 667 ----> S$358/.
    Sony/NEC DVD +-RW/CDRW Combo ----> S$75/.
    CoolerMaster 430w + CoolerMaster Elite 330 casing ----> S$138/.(Bell@SLS)
    or Antec SmartPower 400w 20/24 Pin S$95/. + CoolerMaster Elite 330 --- > S$79/.

i guess that's about it all. thanks!!!

Christmas shopping... *sigh*
    Sell your 105DC lens......in exchange for the above PC with a little top up....

I just came back from SLS yesterday....initially wanted to plunge the Giga DS3 + E6300...but discovered that the price actually went up and The Hardware Place guy told me that currently there is not much stock on the market....ask me to buy Abit instead....so eventually I put off the purchase because it's not worth it to pay so much more...if you compare the US online price...this board suppose to be an entry level P965 board but down here they sell like gold

But I just couldn't walk home empty handed so eventually bought an Opteron chip to upgrade my current PC...the damage was 1/4 so it was like blessing in disguise

i'm a computer idiot with a stingy budget of S$1.5k/. due to the fact that my PC is dying, yeaps, its a grand old age of 6yrs old(P4 2.4GHZ babe!!!!), i guess i mux change it before it screws me real bad. i spent one whole day fixing up and pacifying it before it manages to work for jus this short while.

i cannot afford a mac as my softwares(nikon capture, PS CS2, a whole chunk of others) are all valid for PC. if i were to get an imac with the PS CS2, i will need to sell my backside for many many months.

thus, i mux stay with the PC.

i only need to build a new PC that is suitable for editing photos only at my stingy and miserable budget of S$1.5k/.

can anyone help me build one?

i do not need a monitor, nor keyboards, nor mouse.

you can build one for less than $1k

Like that also can?

I just came back from SLS yesterday....initially wanted to plunge the Giga DS3 + E6300...but discovered that the price actually went up and The Hardware Place guy told me that currently there is not much stock on the market....ask me to buy Abit instead....so eventually I put off the purchase because it's not worth it to pay so much more...if you compare the US online price...this board suppose to be an entry level P965 board but down here they sell like gold

But I just couldn't walk home empty handed so eventually bought an Opteron chip to upgrade my current PC...the damage was 1/4 so it was like blessing in disguise

Quote Originally Posted by erizai View Post
    Like that also can?
    because male brain pattern dictates that going home empty handed after a shopping quest will make the person feel useless. so in the end still have to buy something to sooth the inner male drive for accomplishment

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Sell your 105DC lens......in exchange for the above PC with a little top up....
    bought liao. damage done. so far so good!

105DC is my fave lens. not selling.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast