Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: help me build a new PC. budget S$1.5k/.

Default Re: help me build a new PC. budget S$1.5k/.

The C2Quadro (quad-core) is not a native quad-core chip, but rather more like a 2xC2Duo, if I'm not mistakened. Not too sure about the price also, but if the diff (with motherboard) between a C2D and a C2Q is about $200-300, then I may just opt for the C2Q when I upgrade in Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Gymrat76 View Post
    The C2Quadro (quad-core) is not a native quad-core chip, but rather more like a 2xC2Duo, if I'm not mistakened. Not too sure about the price also, but if the diff (with motherboard) between a C2D and a C2Q is about $200-300, then I may just opt for the C2Q when I upgrade in Jan
    Yes, u are rite, it is actually two chips, each with 2 cores. Total 4 cores.
    I was just putting it in Layman term.
    Probably next year end, we may see 8-cores.

Waiting for Dell to launch the Core 2 Duo with Windows Vista, just compare 1 of their entry PC with DIY in SIM LIM, it is abit cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by alwayschampion View Post
    Waiting for Dell to launch the Core 2 Duo with Windows Vista, just compare 1 of their entry PC with DIY in SIM LIM, it is abit cheaper...
    Cannot compare Dell with DIY pc.
    There's near to zero upgradability for Dell desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by evq View Post
    Cannot compare Dell with DIY pc.
    There's near to zero upgradability for Dell desktop.
    Erm...whatever a DIY can upgrade.....Dell also can wor....unless you are talking about overclock

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Erm...whatever a DIY can upgrade.....Dell also can wor....unless you are talking about overclock
    My office uses Dell desktops.
    Just go look at their casing layout. The customised mobo. The PSU wattage etc.
    Also the sata port avail.

There're 6x USB 2.0 ports on my office Dell, whenever I used all 6 ports, some of the USB devices will start to be undetectable on & off. This happens to all other Dells.
    Last edited by evq; 28th November 2006 at 01:43 AM.

My office uses Dell desktops.
    Just go look at their casing layout. The customised mobo. The PSU wattage etc.
    Also the sata port avail.

There're 6x USB 2.0 ports on my office Dell, whenever I used all 6 ports, some of the USB devices will start to be undetectable on & off. This happens to all other Dells.
    Like wise for IBM and HP/Compaq desktops......they are not designed for extreme usage......but basic upgrade like Gfx card, Ram, CPU, HDD and even a PCI bus devices should not be an issue

Like wise for IBM and HP/Compaq desktops......they are not designed for extreme usage......but basic upgrade like Gfx card, Ram, CPU, HDD and even a PCI bus devices should not be an issue
    Good morning,
    Talking abt Dell, unless u are getting the highend models: eg 9200 series, costing $2299 & above.
    other models have only 2x sata ports & 1x ide port(master for ROM, left slave for 3rd pata hdd). 2x RAM slot etc. 305W psu. Casing is diff form-factor, psu size is not standard. How much can u upgrade vs DIY?

Back to the 9200 series, for $2.3k, they are giving u a 375W psu? what a joke.

Of cos if u are talking a person who know nothing abt computer, then Dell is the most value for $$. Thus ur claim of Dell is as upgradable as any DIY system is not true.
    Last edited by evq; 28th November 2006 at 09:21 AM.

Good morning, the price seems to be cheaper by about 15% for Dell.

if you're a computer idiot, get a dell, if u have interest in fixining up one urself, upgrade urself and troubleshoot go simlim and DIY one.

the new Ready PC nowdays are rather powerful, not like last time, u never fully ultilized the super power pc anyway

Good morning, the price seems to be cheaper by about 15% for Dell.
    true. but if u look at the parts supplied, it is no where near to those u get from SLS.
    1yr warranty by Dell vs DIY(HDD = 3-5yr, RAM = Lifetime, Graphic card = 2-3yr, PSU = 1-5yr)
    As i mentioned, u get Tech support, which is good for those who are not good in PC skill.

Good morning,
    Of cos if u are talking a person who know nothing abt computer, then Dell is the most value for $$. Thus ur claim of Dell is as upgradable as any DIY system is not true.
    You need look at realistic, Dell or any other branded PC has never mean to market as enthusiast PC....their package, their components and bios are all very conservative and if you try to minggle with their configuration, most likely your warranty will be voided....

The whole Dell entry level PC probably selling at $1k+ and you cannot expect Dell to fit in a good PSU which can cost anything range from $100 and above......But that does not means its not upgradable.....reasonable upgrade which I did mentioned like Ram, CPU, HDD or even a SCSI card are proven workable....but if you insist on dwelling into PSU and extreme components like gaming grade GFX card then I got nothing to say......It's like comparing camera, prosumer tio si prosumer and pro body tio si pro body......they are targeting at different users

You need look at realistic, Dell or any other branded PC has never mean to market as enthusiast PC....their package, their components and bios are all very conservative and if you try to minggle with their configuration, most likely your warranty will be voided....

The whole Dell entry level PC probably selling at $1k+ and you cannot expect Dell to fit in a good PSU which can cost anything range from $100 and above......But that does not means its not upgradable.....reasonable upgrade which I did mentioned like Ram, CPU, HDD or even a SCSI card are proven workable....but if you insist on dwelling into PSU and extreme components like gaming grade GFX card then I got nothing to say......It's like comparing camera, prosumer tio si prosumer and pro body tio si pro body......they are targeting at different users
    As I've mentioned many times, Dell is for ppl, who just looking for a out-of-the-box pc + Tech support.
    Never in my previous posts did I mention that it is not upgradable. I only said that it is not as upgradable as a DIY. Maybe u got my points wrong. eg at entry level, 2x ram slots, with current dual channel, both slots are used. if u wan to upgrade, u gotta replace the current rams & get a pair of higher capacity rams. old rams wasted.
    And Dell highend 9200 series at $2.3k, comparing with a $2.3k DIY, which has more room for upgrading? $2.3k is not entry level.

I just find that ur claims of whatever a DIY can upgrade.....Dell also can is not true.

Btw, bro, this is just a discussion on PC, nothing personal. Hope there's no hard feelings.
    Any points in time if I've unknowningly offenced u, pls accept my apologies.

Moreover, I'm not OTing too much on Cheesecake's thread liao. It's her call. I've put my views, so has U.
    Last edited by evq; 28th November 2006 at 11:12 AM.

The main difference in DELLs/HP/NEC/ etc vs DIY is mainly the aftersales service, at least for the first 1 -2 years. For computer idiot, like me, if DELL pc got problem, you can call them and "kow pei kow bu", they will send someone or maybe change the parts for you for free .... but after the warranty, it's fair game. Since there are lesser DIY ppl around, that's why these branded pc are still the majority suppliers.
    always the Light, .... always.

As I've mentioned many times, Dell is for ppl, who just looking for a out-of-the-box pc + Tech support.
    Never in my previous posts did I mention that it is not upgradable. I only said that it is not as upgradable as a DIY. Maybe u got my points wrong. eg at entry level, 2x ram slots, with current dual channel, both slots are used. if u wan to upgrade, u gotta replace the current rams & get a pair of higher capacity rams. old rams wasted.
    And Dell highend 9200 series at $2.3k, comparing with a $2.3k DIY, which has more room for upgrading? $2.3k is not entry level.

I just find that ur claims of whatever a DIY can upgrade.....Dell also can is not true.

Btw, bro, this is just a discussion on PC, nothing personal. Hope there's no hard feelings.
    Any points in time if I've unknowningly offenced u, pls accept my apologies.

Moreover, I'm not OTing too much on Cheesecake's thread liao. It's her call. I've put my views, so has U.
    No worry brother...nothing personal from me too...I tot it was a very healthy discussion?

Perhaps I was too quick to jump into defending Dell, becoz I was very annoyed by people kept saying Dell no good or Compaq no good or IBM no good without giving valid reason, and the worse is these people usually do not own or use one, they just hear say.... I really feel like smacking their head and say Dell is No.1 and he is right about Dell no good and majority are wrong

But your case is different, for feedback coming from an existing user, it is genuine real life experience and I think most manufacturer will welcome this type of feedback....I my self is supporting 150pcs in my company with the mixtures of HP, Dell and IBM and I am very confident to say that they are equal in term of hardward stability and after sales support......to stay competitive......cutting cost is inevitable and OEM components are the way to go and no surprise if we see they are using the same manufacturer.....also the support are quite standard since they outsourced or regionized helpdesk call support

Buying Dell or DIY are totally two discrete path, going for branded, things will work straight out of the box including supplied "original" Operating System and recovery software......DIY needs experience and experiment.....and if problem struct, you have to troubleshoot and get the RMA yourself....that's why sometimes we see people seek for help in open forum for strange problem etc

P/s Btw I just learn that Cheesecake is her...nowonder sounds so delicious
    Last edited by Big Kahuna; 28th November 2006 at 02:29 PM.

small wonder the prices of cheese have just gone up at the supermarts ......
    always the Light, .... always.

No worry brother...nothing personal from me too...I tot it was a very healthy discussion?

Perhaps I was too quick to jump into defending Dell, becoz I was very annoyed by people kept saying Dell no good or Compaq no good or IBM no good without giving valid reason, and the worse is these people usually do not own or use one, they just hear say.... I really feel like smacking their head and say Dell is No.1 and he is right about Dell no good and majority are wrong

But your case is different, for feedback coming from an existing user, it is genuine real life experience and I think most manufacturer will welcome this type of feedback....I my self is supporting 150pcs in my company with the mixtures of HP, Dell and IBM and I am very confident to say that they are equal in term of hardward stability and after sales support......to stay competitive......cutting cost is inevitable and OEM components are the way to go and no surprise if we see they are using the same manufacturer.....also the support are quite standard since they outsourced or regionized helpdesk call support

Buying Dell or DIY are totally two discrete path, going for branded, things will work straight out of the box including supplied "original" Operating System and recovery software......DIY needs experience and experiment.....and if problem struct, you have to troubleshoot and get the RMA yourself....that's why sometimes we see people seek for help in open forum for strange problem etc

Lucky my company dun have 150 PCs for me to support.

Btw, where is Cheesecake?

halo! long curly hair doesn't mean i;m a gal! ask jeanie! she's a gal!

i'm a fat man!

these are useful info to me with regards to computer of which i know nuts.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

basket... this is blasphemy.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Do anyone knows what is the differences in performance between Intel Quad-core and Inter Core 2 Duo ?

The prices with motherboard with Quad-core is about $1100.
    $1100 USD? as far as I know, only one quad-core is out in the market, the QX6700 extreme. and at Simlim, it is retailing at about S$1600+ without any other stuff.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast