Thread: is increasing the sharpness the best way to add grains/noise to an image?

Default is increasing the sharpness the best way to add grains/noise to an image?

topic says~

Default Re: is increasing the sharpness the best way to add grains/noise to an image?

Filter > Noise > Add Noise?

Default Re: is increasing the sharpness the best way to add grains/noise to an image?

Hi
    Unfortunately, pushing the sharpness will mean that you lose a lot of detail and end up with ugly halos around things.

If you are using Photoshop then there is a filter called "Add Noise" that will do a nice job. You can find it under Filters > Noise > Add Noise

Experiment to see whether the Uniform, Gaussian, and Monochromatic options give you the best result. I'd also suggest copying the layer before you try this out so that you can go back to the original if it all goes horribly wrong.

Enjoy
    J

Quote Originally Posted by justyn View Post
    Hi
    Unfortunately, pushing the sharpness will mean that you lose a lot of detail and end up with ugly halos around things.

If you are using Photoshop then there is a filter called "Add Noise" that will do a nice job. You can find it under Filters > Noise > Add Noise

Experiment to see whether the Uniform, Gaussian, and Monochromatic options give you the best result. I'd also suggest copying the layer before you try this out so that you can go back to the original if it all goes horribly wrong.

Enjoy
    J
    thanks! i'll try it out.

Sharpness...hmmm....USM and such doesn't do a good in adding noise, as the result will be very ugly.

If you want to add noise, you can try out various filter in PS, or just use high ISO setting when you shoot.

filter>texture>grain also can

shooting with a high iso
    Or underexposing a lot then making it brighter in photoshop
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

thanks guys. but there are times that i'm only inspired after looking at my pictures on my computer screen.