Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Would you give up photography for...?

  1. #1
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Would you give up photography for...?

    Love, example wife / husband, boyfriend / girlfriend wants you to give up photography.

    Job, busy at work, are you willing to give up your photography time for the job?

    Money, or rather the lack of. Not enough money (not to an extreme), would you give it up?


    Just for fun.

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    there is always a workaround the problem

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    588

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Love, example wife / husband, boyfriend / girlfriend wants you to give up photography.

    Job, busy at work, are you willing to give up your photography time for the job?

    Money, or rather the lack of. Not enough money (not to an extreme), would you give it up?


    Just for fun.
    1. It's a hobby. Don't see why my significant other would want me to give it up.

    2. Work always comes first. Photography is a hobby for me.

    3. Again, to me photography is a hobby and if i don't have the money, then I wouldn't buy new equipment and the sacrifice of living decently.

    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Punggol Park
    Posts
    1,977

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    Quote Originally Posted by dan_1337 View Post
    1. It's a hobby. Don't see why my significant other would want me to give it up.

    2. Work always comes first. Photography is a hobby for me.

    3. Again, to me photography is a hobby and if i don't have the money, then I wouldn't buy new equipment and the sacrifice of living decently.

    Photog is just a hobby to kill time and to distress.

    Photog can never supersede not just work but a career.

    Photog can never be a career for me

  5. #5

    Cool Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    it's depends... if tat person truly loves u, she/he wont mind.
    if she/he really mind, hard to make decisions leh...
    of cos, i wont give up...

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    Balance is the key.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    It is a hobby for me.
    Work comes first.
    If my sweetheart wants me to forgo it, there must be good reason. I will give up photography then.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    what if ur girlfriend or wife's into photography too?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Love, example wife / husband, boyfriend / girlfriend wants you to give up photography.

    Job, busy at work, are you willing to give up your photography time for the job?

    Money, or rather the lack of. Not enough money (not to an extreme), would you give it up?


    Just for fun.
    1) I would not give it up completely. She can sell off my gear at $1 each, but that won't stop me from seeking what I want.

    2) Lack of time's not an excuse for sitting down and thinking about how I want the next photos to be and subsequently seeking out the source to shoot The One Photo.

    3) Like u said, not to an extreme. Probably won't and would seek out help. Probably more active in finding somemore backup photographer job.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Love, example wife / husband, boyfriend / girlfriend wants you to give up photography.

    Job, busy at work, are you willing to give up your photography time for the job?

    Money, or rather the lack of. Not enough money (not to an extreme), would you give it up?
    My personal answers:
    1. Not likely in my scenario. Just take some nice photos of your family/kids and show to your SO. Anyway, you really need to sit down and find out what is the reason he/she wants you to give it up, is because of cost or time ? Can compromise one lah. If die, die must choose, domestic bliss comes first so you know my answer
    If kena forced sell, just get a SE K800i

    2. This one is the strongest case. If really work takes up a lot of time and energy, then slacking off on the hobbies is a no-brainer. Bread must come first.

    3. Not likely cos don't need to spend a lot of money on photography, if you don't want to. In the old days (before I started working), I never owned a film camera because I never needed to. Every time I needed to use one, I just borrowed from someone and managed to get along fine for years. Anyway, film PnS cameras are relatively cheap and got no shutter lag. Even if you want digital, you can get a used digital PnS cheap and good (except for shooting kids, this point is where you leverage on when you discuss with your SO to allow you to buy a DSLR).

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    My personal answers:
    1. Not likely in my scenario. Just take some nice photos of your family/kids and show to your SO. Anyway, you really need to sit down and find out what is the reason he/she wants you to give it up, is because of cost or time ? Can compromise one lah. If die, die must choose, domestic bliss comes first so you know my answer
    If kena forced sell, just get a SE K800i

    2. This one is the strongest case. If really work takes up a lot of time and energy, then slacking off on the hobbies is a no-brainer. Bread must come first.

    3. Not likely cos don't need to spend a lot of money on photography, if you don't want to. In the old days (before I started working), I never owned a film camera because I never needed to. Every time I needed to use one, I just borrowed from someone and managed to get along fine for years. Anyway, film PnS cameras are relatively cheap and got no shutter lag. Even if you want digital, you can get a used digital PnS cheap and good (except for shooting kids, this point is where you leverage on when you discuss with your SO to allow you to buy a DSLR).
    regarding the money area... i guess digital usage is now much much cheaper than last time. It depends what u are in for ? if turning it into a part-time job... i guess u need to invest some.

    if for hobby.. i think a PNS will do.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    Quote Originally Posted by trigger_lim View Post
    it's depends... if tat person truly loves u, she/he wont mind.
    if she/he really mind, hard to make decisions leh...
    of cos, i wont give up...
    make her your model.. buy her new dress.. and pay her the modelling fees.. she will end up sponser your next new camera.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Love, example wife / husband, boyfriend / girlfriend wants you to give up photography.

    Job, busy at work, are you willing to give up your photography time for the job?

    Money, or rather the lack of. Not enough money (not to an extreme), would you give it up?


    Just for fun.

    1. No. This is an unreasonable demand.
    2. No. Will just have to find a job that balances work and personal life.
    3. No. I always lack money. Have not stopped me then, why would it stop me now?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    To me this is not an option period. End of discussion.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    1. It's a hobby. GF/ wife should accept me for what i like as well. As long as it is not pornography..what's wrong?

    2. Everyone needs an outlet away from work. Work can never be finished. If allw e do is work..what is life may i know?

    3. There is always cheap alternatives. Using a hp camera also allows one to pursue this hobby....jus in a slightly different way...agree?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    central
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    Never give up photography if it is your PASSION!
    I'm here to learn.:flame:

  17. #17

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    if u or anyone give me $1,000,000.0SGD I will quit taking pic ... :P

  18. #18

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    Someone will have to give up shopping then..


    .

  19. #19

    Default Re: Would you give up photography for...?

    i will give up photography for Heaven

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •