View Poll Results: Which alternative will you use for macro photography?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • Close-up filters

    62 34.25%
  • Extension Tubes

    76 41.99%
  • Teleconvertors

    12 6.63%
  • Others... errr others lik wat?

    31 17.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Which personal alternative would you use for marco photography besides using a dedicated macro lens and why?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Which personal alternative would you use for marco photography besides using a dedicated macro lens and why?
    It is the only option that does not add optics. Teleconverters only double the magnification but may not bring you close enough. Close up filters will add aberration. Others? Bellow just act like extension tubes so can classify as extension tubes also.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Use the reversed lens technique. Biggest hassle is no more body-to-lens communication on aperture, focus, adjustments. Reversing rings cheaply found on Ebay or can be self-made.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by cjtune View Post
    Use the reversed lens technique. Biggest hassle is no more body-to-lens communication on aperture, focus, adjustments. Reversing rings cheaply found on Ebay or can be self-made.
    I missed out reversal ring..

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Looks like so far majority goes to the ext tube... so any disadvantage at all abt ext tubes??

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    I've tried the reverse lens methos but a bit hard to master, somemore i'm not such into macros. So i simply use close-up filters to do the job and with outstanding results.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by cjtune View Post
    Use the reversed lens technique. Biggest hassle is no more body-to-lens communication on aperture, focus, adjustments. Reversing rings cheaply found on Ebay or can be self-made.
    There are 2 technique with reverse lens:
    1. Use reversal ring, one lens (normally 50mm) reversed on body. You loose interaction between lens and body.

    object---------(50mm lens reversed)[reversal ring]{body}


    2. Use male thread on both reverse ring. One lens (normally 50mm) attached to the front of another lens. This 50mm act like close up +20 filter to another lens. You not loose interaction between another lens and body.

    object---------(50mm lens reversed)[both male thread reversal ring](another lens){body}


    Above technique risk your rear element, the distance between object and rear element is very close (~5cm). There is special rear cap with glass (filter) to protect rear element for this technique.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    It is the only option that does not add optics. Teleconverters only double the magnification but may not bring you close enough. Close up filters will add aberration. Others? Bellow just act like extension tubes so can classify as extension tubes also.
    teleconvertor DOES add optics = degrade in image quality. You got cheated of buying a TC without optics is it? TC without optics will be ET already

    also, the min focus distance for TC will double accordingly (for a 2x TC), so it defeat the purpose of using it for macro purpose.

    i have been using extension tube all these years with a 85mm prime lens, image quality is great as no optics is added. I can get really close to the object as the focus distance is reduced. however, the focus range will depends on the distance and the length of the tube, therefore it is better to buy a set of tubes with different length, so that you can stack them for greater flexibility.

    ET is more suitable for static object, for moving object, a macro lens is still better, however the magnification will not be as great as ET.
    Last edited by Wai; 13th November 2006 at 11:20 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    or u can just crop after shooting.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Sorry just to borrow this thread to ask a question - I suppose the Macro mentioned here is only referring to static objects right? How about shooting insects? The close working distance when using macro filter/extension tubes/reversed lens (not sure about TC cos never use before) will scare them away. Is there any accessories/good solution to taking insect macro when one do not have a dedicated macro lens?

    Thanks for the advice

  11. #11

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by cheersjy View Post
    Sorry just to borrow this thread to ask a question - I suppose the Macro mentioned here is only referring to static objects right? How about shooting insects? The close working distance when using macro filter/extension tubes/reversed lens (not sure about TC cos never use before) will scare them away. Is there any accessories/good solution to taking insect macro when one do not have a dedicated macro lens?

    Thanks for the advice
    That's a tough one on the optics side. But superglue may be one option.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by cheersjy View Post
    Sorry just to borrow this thread to ask a question - I suppose the Macro mentioned here is only referring to static objects right? How about shooting insects? The close working distance when using macro filter/extension tubes/reversed lens (not sure about TC cos never use before) will scare them away. Is there any accessories/good solution to taking insect macro when one do not have a dedicated macro lens?

    Thanks for the advice
    Errr..., find bigger insect maybe? So can shoot without macro lens ?

    Regards,
    Arto.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    That's a tough one on the optics side. But superglue may be one option.
    Err.. u mean use superglue on the lens or the insect?



    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Errr..., find bigger insect maybe? So can shoot without macro lens ?
    Regards,
    Arto.
    Haha, point noted :

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singapore, Bedok
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Looks like so far majority goes to the ext tube... so any disadvantage at all abt ext tubes??
    It's troublesome to mount/dismount the extension tube, and you lose infinity focus, among other things.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    It's troublesome to mount/dismount the extension tube, and you lose infinity focus, among other things.
    Ok... but i guess compared to using close up lens, screwing the lens is not as easy as well and you too lose infinity focus ya...

  16. #16

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Ok... but i guess compared to using close up lens, screwing the lens is not as easy as well and you too lose infinity focus ya...
    You may also lose some light, which means the shuttle speed will be slower. Good thing is the good quality of your lens' optics is unaffected

  17. #17

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by cheersjy View Post
    Err.. u mean use superglue on the lens or the insect?
    Insect lah.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Buy a 3rd party macro lens. Get one of those old versions(non-di, non-dg, or MF models?). Definitely around 300+ at the maximum only. I think in the camera gear world, that's considered cheap. My 3rd party macro lens is the 2nd cheapest lens I own(of course I picked it up 2nd hand). The cheapest lens I own is a russian MF lens(not counted?).
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Insect lah.
    Too cruel . Put insect on refrigerator for hour to slow it down .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Cheap alternative to Macro Lens??

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Too cruel . Put insect on refrigerator for hour to slow it down .

    Regards,
    Arto.
    Frozen insect? Cruel also lah!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •