Thread: Night Shoots of Singapore

Default Night Shoots of Singapore

Have been into amateur photography for about 2 years, decided to post some of my photos into here for comments.

Hope to pick up more knowledge and skills in photography, and most important, to earn my own DSLR!

Last edited by eikin; 15th November 2006 at 08:30 PM. Reason: images' URL replaced with UBBCode

Wink Re: Night Shoots of Singapore

like this shot.....wat cam u using??
    D800|24~120mm VR|AF VR 80~400mm ED |SB900|50mm F1.8|CD 2X2|FL-360|FastPack 350/Sony RX100M3

Default Re: Night Shoots of Singapore

I believe its an Ixus 500.

Lightbulb Re: Night Shoots of Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlue View Post
    I believe its an Ixus 500.
    Yup just ck with opanda....thks!
    D800|24~120mm VR|AF VR 80~400mm ED |SB900|50mm F1.8|CD 2X2|FL-360|FastPack 350/Sony RX100M3

Thanks for your comments and replies. Ya, it's an IXUS 500 I'm using. How do you know that??

Talking Re: Night Shoots of Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ovc17m View Post
    Thanks for your comments and replies. Ya, it's an IXUS 500 I'm using. How do you know that??
    Use software chk....

pic 1

picture is divided into 3 areas (bridge, skyline and empty sky) with none being able to hold viewer's attention due to the lack of a subject of focus.

also, for usual night city skyine shots, can consider photographing before the sky darkens completely to capture some colours/details in the sky to add interest

pic 2

image is soft. horizon is slanted unnecessary. colours and contrast need some improvement as they seem dull now.

pic 3

very soft. framing is awkward. the scene looks incomplete (not wide enough to tell the environment, not close enough to examine the details)

pic 4

very soft. a wider frame would be more interesting.

i am guessing that the softness in the pictures is due to unstable support for long shutter takes.

and reminder, please post 1 picture/1 series a week to allow for more indepth critiques from viewers. if series is intended, the pictures should be related (i.e. the series work as a single piece of work and should be viewed as such)
    Last edited by eikin; 15th November 2006 at 08:55 PM.

I noticed you used f/2.8 for photo one.. I think a smaller aperture (larger fstop) with longer exposure (you used 1 second for this one).. Would be nicer! =)

At least the lampposts would be more attractive - giving you that starburst effect.

Composition wise, it's superb in my book though. =)

Download the photo, then right click the file, properties and then under summary click advance.
    Can see lots of stuffs there such as focal length, aperture, shutter speed, etc.

#1 is nice. Me like it lots
    #2 is a little underexp. There's a significant canting (as you can see from the horizon.)
    #3 doesn't say much imho.
    #4 gives a little dark and misty feeling. Lower portion is underexp (btw, how to solve that?)

Hi eikin,

Thanks for your c&c and rules about the forum! Very informative and i believe it will help me a lot in my future shootings.

Thanks to all others for your c&c!

Quote Originally Posted by AxeLa View Post
    Use software chk....
    what software is it?

Arrow Re: Night Shoots of Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aq12345 View Post
    what software is it?
    Opanda?

Hi Ovc17m,
    I believe your picture quality is being limited by your equipment.
    However, just some things you can do.

1) Does your cam have APERTURE PRIORITY? (meaning, Av mode)
    Shoot @ smaller aperture such as F5.6 or F8 for more Depth of Field else your pictures will look too soft. Recently shoot some sunsets with F8, works well~

2) Use tripod.
    If you have a tripod, use it to reduce handshake since you'll be shooting at low shutter speed.
    If don't have, please don't buy. Save $$ for your DSLR.
    I believe digicams have their limits, this is one of them