Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

  1. #1

    Default S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    the accused used a laptop computer to gain unauthorized access to a home wireless network.

    If convicted, he faces up to three years in jail and fines of up to S$10,000 under the Computer Misuse Act.

    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

  2. #2

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    haha. this kind of case for sure have some sabotaging involved one.

  3. #3

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    What next? The death penalty for hacking into someone else's network?

    I am all for a peaceful law abiding society, but we must take a look and make sure the punishment is justifiable.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  4. #4

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    aiyoh!! then the other party got jail for not safe guarding his own network by having password anot?

  5. #5
    Senior Member roadrunner_552's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    2,516

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by k3nn3th03 View Post
    the accused used a laptop computer to gain unauthorized access to a home wireless network.

    If convicted, he faces up to three years in jail and fines of up to S$10,000 under the Computer Misuse Act.

    deserved it. I should said he quite suay to be caught. lol

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    Wonder how he got caught...

  7. #7

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by k3nn3th03 View Post
    the accused used a laptop computer to gain unauthorized access to a home wireless network.

    If convicted, he faces up to three years in jail and fines of up to S$10,000 under the Computer Misuse Act.




    He knows it (the consequences) , he did it (unauthorize access) , and he got caught (luckily or unluckily).
    Last edited by kitkat; 11th November 2006 at 09:04 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    What next? The death penalty for hacking into someone else's network?

    I am all for a peaceful law abiding society, but we must take a look and make sure the punishment is justifiable.
    Probably not, that's just too extreme. Sometimes you DO think all the way out my friend.

    You DO have to realise that not all law & policymakers are absolute IT suavy enough. The easiest method would be to put a blanket law with ambiguous words that covers just about anything and everything.

    If there's something I'm absolutely pissed, sometimes things gets just so ambiguous that everyone assumes and eventually sit there not getting anything done, not voicing anything out and getting the specifics of it.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  9. #9

    Default S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by k3nn3th03;
    If convicted, he faces up to three years in jail and fines of up to S$10,000 under the Computer Misuse Act.

    the key words are "UP TO"


    i doubt he will receive the MAX penalty

  10. #10

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    How to check who's been tapping on your wireless network?
    Please advise.
    I would like to send another to jail.

  11. #11

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Lubber Duckie View Post
    How to check who's been tapping on your wireless network?
    Please advise.
    I would like to send another to jail.
    it is almost impossible. the most you can see is the adapter's MAC address. really suspect the neighbour must have really really hated him. maybe he play drums everyday.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    Seeing the fella's MAC address? That's more than enough.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  13. #13

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    i guess if he can convince that he was just using the network and not pilfering any information from the host, then he wont get any serious punishment. Someone leaving the door to his house open, doesnt mean we can walk in and browse around.
    Its trivial to crack WEP anyway, use something else, use MAC filtering and dun broadcast your SSID. What the heck, dun send sensitive info wirelessly at all!

  14. #14

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    the news was in ASIAONE...

    not sure if can paste here...
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    singapura
    Posts
    241

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    still using wired internet acess thou... faster and lesser hassle

  16. #16
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    but how can one be so sure that theres someone tapping into ur network ?

    is there some kind of a software for me to check ?

    of course la.. i am a MOL6500 user.. and its like the dl speeds damn slow.... my neighbour using MOL4000 is faster den mine....


  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    sometimes have to blame those 'gongkia' from using passwordless routers... if he hack a WEP or WPA coded ones, then he rightfully be jailed lah...

    i mean sometimes i set to linksys, then i go another place, not that i wanna link, but that linksys is passwordless, then it auto linkup... wat 2 do? (ya know stanley there the free linksys?) some ppl also never set password at home, i auto login, bo pian mah...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  18. #18

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    sometimes have to blame those 'gongkia' from using passwordless routers... if he hack a WEP or WPA coded ones, then he rightfully be jailed lah...

    i mean sometimes i set to linksys, then i go another place, not that i wanna link, but that linksys is passwordless, then it auto linkup... wat 2 do? (ya know stanley there the free linksys?) some ppl also never set password at home, i auto login, bo pian mah...
    yar yar! happens to my laptop too. sometimes it just flips to some "linksys" network, and there's nothing obvious that will show up saying that i am connected to it, unless i go and right click the icon, i never noticed that it is connected to "linksys".

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    yar yar! happens to my laptop too. sometimes it just flips to some "linksys" network, and there's nothing obvious that will show up saying that i am connected to it, unless i go and right click the icon, i never noticed that it is connected to "linksys".
    still got free 2wire, dlink etc... some ppl just install router & expect router do auto password that they & the router know, via some imaginery prayer...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  20. #20
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: S'pore teen faces 3 years' jail for tapping into another's wireless Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    but how can one be so sure that theres someone tapping into ur network ?

    is there some kind of a software for me to check ?

    of course la.. i am a MOL6500 user.. and its like the dl speeds damn slow.... my neighbour using MOL4000 is faster den mine....

    yup..there's programs you can download to check who's on your network and what they're doing
    eat. drink. shoot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •