Thread: Shooting in sub zero temperatures

Default Shooting in sub zero temperatures

Are there any concerns or recommendations relating to shooting in temperatures below 0 degrees centigrade?
    5D | 24-70L | 28mm f/1.8 | 580EX

Default Re: Shooting in sub zero temperatures

Your battery will drain out faster than normal and watch out for condensation on the lens when u move from the sub zero temperature to a higher temperature

Keep the camera and battery warm when not in use

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Keep the camera and battery warm when not in use
    Any suggestion how to do that? Small P&S ok .. but dSLRs?

Quote Originally Posted by Blu-By-U View Post
    big pocket of course! everyone who has a dSLR has deep pockets

i'm also worried about bringing a cold camera and lens from outside into a warm environment (indoors) and then having condensation occur inside the lens and camera.

Hi,

I thinking of going Harbin (China) for shoot during this dec. Any idea for to care for my camera?

You have to hand warm the batteries before shooting. Condensation isn't a big problem if you're outdoors all the time. The biggest problem are the batteries which become too cold to provide emf until they become warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by divefree73 View Post
    Hi,

I thinking of going Harbin (China) for shoot during this dec. Any idea for to care for my camera?
    Same. I will be in Beijing and Shanghai at the end of December.

I have spare batteries that i can keep in my pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Blu-By-U View Post
    In winter...you will usually wear those thick outer coat in outdoor....so the easiest way is to tug your camera into your coat or jacket and zip it up when you do not shoot.....your body warm will helps a little bit

if i leave the batteries in the cold, will they lose some energy permenantly? or can everything be get back by warming?

I was in Kiruna, Sweden in February 2006 and it reached a temperature of -14 degrees Celcius with strong wind when I was outside one day. I was wearing thick gloves and this impeded my dexterity. Remember that to operate the camera with a pair of thick gloves is very difficult, I took them off when pressing the shuttle and it was COLD. I ended up with fewer pictures than usual and battery life is not the limiting factor here; it's whether you can stand the biting cold wind on your fingers. Perhaps, we are overly concerned about battery life at extremely low temperature. I gave up before my batteries did.

My non-conventional advice is to invest in a good pair of inner gloves which is thin and insulating. This will allow you to take pictures with warm fingers when the outer gloves are off.
    Last edited by william_wwong; 11th November 2006 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    if i leave the batteries in the cold, will they lose some energy permenantly? or can everything be get back by warming?
    remembering my high school chemistry, batteries lose power when cold because the reaction that produces the electricity slows down which affects the supply of power.

heat is a catalyst* for the reaction which means that the battery can supply power properly again - therefore if you have a fully charged battery that doesn't work so well in cold temps, by warming it you will have access to the power again. i'm pretty sure that all the power will still be stored.

*'catalyst' is not the right word, but i can't think of the exact word for it right now.

condensation is probably what i'm more worried about - esp in my lens.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_1337 View Post
    remembering my high school chemistry, batteries lose power when cold because the reaction that produces the electricity slows down which affects the supply of power.

heat is a catalyst* for the reaction which means that the battery can supply power properly again - therefore if you have a fully charged battery that doesn't work so well in cold temps, by warming it you will have access to the power again. i'm pretty sure that all the power will still be stored.

*'catalyst' is not the right word, but i can't think of the exact word for it right now.

condensation is probably what i'm more worried about - esp in my lens.
    for me, i did not really have any problems with condesation. cos in such cold places, even warm parts are still extremely dry, of course unless they installed those heater cum humidifiyer things.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_1337 View Post

Heat increases the rate of reaction at which the volatic cell works

dun panic when you see the LED/LCD "blackout"

Juz carry on shooting.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by william_wwong View Post
    I was in Kiruna, Sweden in February 2006 and it reached a temperature of -14 degrees Celcius with strong wind when I was outside one day. I was wearing thick gloves and this impeded my dexterity. Remember that to operate the camera with a pair of thick gloves is very difficult, I took them off when pressing the shuttle and it was COLD. I ended up with fewer pictures than usual and battery life is not the limiting factor here; it's whether you can stand the biting cold wind on your fingers. Perhaps, we are overly concerned about battery life at extremely low temperature. I gave up before my batteries did.

My non-conventional advice is to invest in a good pair of inner gloves which is thin and insulating. This will allow you to take pictures with warm fingers when the outer gloves are off.
    totally agree with you...i not sure why people scare so much about bringing their camera out to shoot in cold/hot condition...

if scare just leave the camera at home...

wear gloves, use lip balm and drink lots of vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    dun panic when you see the LED/LCD "blackout"

Juz carry on shooting.
    Uh..., LED???

LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) yes, it may become black in sub zero temperature. But LED (Light Emitting Diode)???

Regards,
    Arto.