Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Moving On To DSLR

  1. #1

    Default Moving On To DSLR

    Hi guys,

    In 2004, I came here looking for advise on what SLR I need to start this hobby and thru your advise & recommendations, I got the prosumer Nikon 8400 instead. I had a wonderful 2 years with the cam & take many memorable pictures with it. Fm the neighbouring mountain peaks to valleys & grasslands of China, forts of India as well as many parties, it has served me well.... Believe that all newbies should start with a prosumer before moving on to SLRs. That way u can slowly grow to use the "manual" functions of the prosumer

    Now I feel the need to upgrade my skills & equipment. I'll be enrolling in a basic photography course this Jan and hope to get a DSLR by Feb 07. I do not have a preference for brand at this moment. From reading through this forum & other overseas sites, I'm currently looking at the Pentax K100D. Would appreciate your advise on what other value for money DSLRs I should consider to start my journey into the world of SLRs... Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Get a well known brand many people are using... Such as Canon and Nikon... Borrowing of stuff is also easier!!! And not forgetting about combining powers!!!
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

  3. #3
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Think there'll be some new models coming out soon. Pentax is good. Do look around before jumping in cos you'll be buying the whole system not just the cam.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    卧龙岗
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    since you mentioned about getting your new cam by Feb 07..
    you might to wait till its Mar 07 as thats when there are new models from the diff camera companies launching new stuff

  5. #5

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    wouldnt new models be expensive? After how long its initial launch would be the "sweet spot" to get a cam?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    It really depend bro. Like Sony now is having a Year End Sale, so the price of the A-100 has gone down and it's like the A-100 has just launched for a couple of months. It's definitely worth getting now.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  7. #7

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Ic... is getting 2nd hand recommended? I see lots of "new" D70s being sold... alot of ppl recommending this cam but at the same time, many disposing it. Not trying to affect the sale of those cams but can any past user of the D70 share why you guys sold it off so fast?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    卧龙岗
    Posts
    2,736

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    just my $0.02..
    with my earlier post about newer models.. i am actually refering to the existing models will definitely drop price..

    whether to get a 2nd hand body or not its up to you actually. depends on various factors such as cost, functions, condition, usage etc..

    as for the D70s being 'dumped', i guess its due to many users of this particular model from nikon waiting for the D80 model to launch ? (maybe abit disappointed? D80 is a SD card only model)

    result? sell their existing D70s and upgrading to the D200 but again there is nothing to stop them to get the D80 too.. (provided they dont find changing to SD a hassle). imo, the D80 is more like an upgrade for existing D50 users and those who are buying an above average dslr model for the 1st time.

    oh yes, do correct me if i am wrong.. 1 thing is for sure, you wont go wrong with the established brands

  9. #9

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Noticed that quite a number of new models are using SD now. I prefer to stick to CF so that I can continue to use my 2x1GB cards... are my options limited to past models now?

  10. #10
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Noticed that quite a number of new models are using SD now. I prefer to stick to CF so that I can continue to use my 2x1GB cards... are my options limited to past models now?
    Well, the beginners cams are in SD for the moment. But the slightly older ones which are just as good (D70s, etc) are still encamped in CF. And dun forget the Pro bodies like D2X, D2H... still in CF.

    But if you are going on to the higher MP count cameras like a 10.2Mp cam, 1Gb may not be enough. Esp when you are going to shoot RAW, or RAW+Jpeg...
    Last edited by zac08; 14th November 2006 at 11:11 AM.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Ic... is getting 2nd hand recommended?
    2nd hand has it's advantages, besides the obvious price. Usually, you can get some extras which you would have to buy yourself like say, an extra battery or in the case of lenses, a UV filter. Also, if you get it at the "sweet spot" (meaning old enough for the teething problems to have surfaced and been repaired by the 1st owner, but not old enough to be obsolete or worn out), it can be a good bargain.

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Noticed that quite a number of new models are using SD now. I prefer to stick to CF so that I can continue to use my 2x1GB cards... are my options limited to past models now?
    Personally, I wouldn't let the memory card slot type limit my choices. Memory cards are cheap nowadays (not like a few years back). Other features like the placement of the controls and the handling are much more important.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    After reading around, I've narrowed my choices to Nikon D80 & Pentax 100K/10K.. I prefer Nikon cos I'm quite familiar with the controls having used the 8400 as well as the bigger viewfinder. But the features on the Pentax especially the image stabiliser is very tempting... how usefull is the IS in a SLR? This will be my 1st SLR...

  13. #13
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Personally, I find the build in IS is very, very good. As I do not have steady hands it has helped me alot. Anyway, I'm using the Konica Minolta Dynax 7D which has a build in AS in the cam also. So all my lens comes in IS.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  14. #14

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Hi guys,

    In 2004, I came here looking for advise on what SLR I need to start this hobby and thru your advise & recommendations, I got the prosumer Nikon 8400 instead. I had a wonderful 2 years with the cam & take many memorable pictures with it. Fm the neighbouring mountain peaks to valleys & grasslands of China, forts of India as well as many parties, it has served me well.... Believe that all newbies should start with a prosumer before moving on to SLRs. That way u can slowly grow to use the "manual" functions of the prosumer

    Now I feel the need to upgrade my skills & equipment. I'll be enrolling in a basic photography course this Jan and hope to get a DSLR by Feb 07. I do not have a preference for brand at this moment. From reading through this forum & other overseas sites, I'm currently looking at the Pentax K100D. Would appreciate your advise on what other value for money DSLRs I should consider to start my journey into the world of SLRs... Thanks.
    trust nikon or canon
    you would not regret....
    and see who are your kakhis and what are they using, this is expensive hobby, if your kakhis using canon i suggest u use canon too since the advantage is u can exchange lenses with all your kakhis

    but i always advice all my friend to use canon or nikon, these 2 big brand whom people always use and trust...
    ...in my humble opinion
    Last edited by skelanton; 17th November 2006 at 02:23 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Y didnt Nikon & Canon include image stabilisation on their body? It couldnt possibily just because to sell their IS lenses rite?

  16. #16
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Y didnt Nikon & Canon include image stabilisation on their body? It couldnt possibily just because to sell their IS lenses rite?
    marketing marketing...

  17. #17
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Y didnt Nikon & Canon include image stabilisation on their body? It couldnt possibily just because to sell their IS lenses rite?
    It's not as good as lens stabilisation....

    I believe they (Nikon and Canon) did mention on this before. If they had RnDed and thought camera stabilisation is better, they would have done so... but the fact is, they found it was better on the longer lenses only.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  18. #18

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    It's not as good as lens stabilisation....

    I believe they (Nikon and Canon) did mention on this before. If they had RnDed and thought camera stabilisation is better, they would have done so... but the fact is, they found it was better on the longer lenses only.
    then again on shorter range, chance of blurred images compared to tele lenses is smaller
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

  19. #19

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    getting a VR lens is quite ex rite? so economically, better to have the stabilisation at the camera?

    Btw, if i do get the D80, does it mean that I'm restricted to DX lenses?

  20. #20

    Default Re: Moving On To DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Btw, if i do get the D80, does it mean that I'm restricted to DX lenses?
    No, you can use any F-mount lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •