Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: public wireless internet

How to confirm that it is free???

M1 is having trial period for free... For Singtel, u must be have a dialup account at least, meaning paid access...

http://www.m1.com.sg/M1/CDA/Generic_...v_pageNumber=3

Originally posted by matthew

We track MAC addresses on our LAN (Sydney University). I can track them to ports on ethernet switches. Whe know what port (thus what room/desk) the machine is located in, the IP address and often then we can work out the user...) Wireless has only just gone in, but the same information is available.

If some one did some serious hacking from wireless, we would just watch for that MAC address to pop up again and look at when and where. Eventually the user would access some service that required authentication with that wireless card and the gaps in their identity would fall into place.....
    yes...but IF i really earn enough $$$ by hacking somewhere...i won't be so stupid to use the network card again after i committed...it is like u murdered someone...will u still keep the weapon with u?
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Originally posted by Wai

yes...but IF i really earn enough $$$ by hacking somewhere...i won't be so stupid to use the network card again after i committed...it is like u murdered someone...will u still keep the weapon with u?
    Many do :-).

Friends company had a sales rep reported his laptop network card stolen and asked for a replacement. Said he would use his own for a few days, which had it's label ripped off.

The techs noticed the MAC address still on their network and tracked it back to said (soon to be ex) sales rep who had simply ripped the label off his company laptop network adaptor and reported it stolen.

It's amazing what stupid things people do....

Most hacking appears to be done by 'script kiddies' who don't really know how what they are doing works... They probably would be stupid enough to keep using the same Wireless card after committing some crime with it..

A real computer criminal will be probably sitting safely in a room down the street with a high gain directional antenna pointed back at the 'hot spot'. They won't even be seen on the transmitter site.

Friends company had a sales rep reported his laptop network card stolen and asked for a replacement. Said he would use his own for a few days, which had it's label ripped off.

The techs noticed the MAC address still on their network and tracked it back to said (soon to be ex) sales rep who had simply ripped the label off his company laptop network adaptor and reported it stolen.
    NTU have wireless LAN too, and the school actually loan out wireless network card and Jornada 720

there was once when someone steal the whole set from a student's bag...and if the student cannot find the thief, he has to paid back for the lost item which cost almost $2k...

since the MAC address was recoroded when the student borrow the wireless card from sch...and one have to login to the wireless LAN with a student ID and password so i suggest to him to report to the admin in charge of the wireless network to track the MAC address against the student ID

not sure if the theif was caught in the end...

ckfusg
    Guests

There are many AP discovery program available. One of my favourite is netstumbler. You can download it from http://www.netstumbler.com . When you run this program, it will scan all the surrounding for available AP. It will display the SSID and if there is a WEP key being used, it will shown as a lock. This program is good for wardriving..

http://www.m1.com.sg/M1/CDA/Generic_...v_pageNumber=1

all these places are free...service provide by M1...free trail till end of next mth

A M K has a Singnet one. should check out the library its a great place. walking distance form my place. tee hee

Make a mistake on my previous post. For Cisco Aironet, the SSID should be left blank, don't key anything for wildcard access. Will be able to accesss without the need to know the SSID, provided the encryption is turn off in the base station. Sorry for the mistake.

Hi Guys

Its tracable.. Ever hear of Option 82 in DHCP. The techies would know what I mean. So don't play play..

Min

The Mac address on its own is not traceable, after all no register is kept of who has what Mac address, however it's a data item you can be tracked with.

If the crime was sufficiently bad enough, they could pull MAC address logs from every 'public' site, cross reference them all - and maybe get an association with a login ID, then account details, etc...

Simple detective work.

We track MAC addresses on our LAN (Sydney University). I can track them to ports on ethernet switches. Whe know what port (thus what room/desk) the machine is located in, the IP address and often then we can work out the user...) Wireless has only just gone in, but the same information is available.

If some one did some serious hacking from wireless, we would just watch for that MAC address to pop up again and look at when and where. Eventually the user would access some service that required authentication with that wireless card and the gaps in their identity would fall into place.....

sas
    Guests

what abt Changi Airport? I heard sth about wireless net connection there.. anyone know more abt this?

Originally posted by Minority
    Hi Guys

Its tracable.. Ever hear of Option 82 in DHCP. The techies would know what I mean. So don't play play..

Min

For a brief primer on this,
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800c6ed2.html

Combine this together:

Code:
    cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/
    products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800c6ed2.html
    Make sure there are no spaces.

Don't think it'll work to get your name, though.
    Last edited by Zoomer; 23rd February 2003 at 06:44 PM.

hi

let me make a quick run through on this. When you power on your PC a IP address is given to you by a DHCP server. On the DHCP server your MAC is mapped to a IP address. With the Option 82. The DHCP server would know where you log on from. Then comes the Radius Log which when you punch in you Login name. This record woud contain what is call a Call detail Recored (CDR). One of the items on this recored would show the interface i.e. location of logon.

A quick cross reff would trace the user location.

Wa Lah

Originally posted by Zoomer

For a brief primer on this,
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800c6ed2.html

Combine this together:

Code:
    cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/
    products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800c6ed2.html
    Make sure there are no spaces.

Don't think it'll work to get your name, though.

Yes, but that only works if there is a login name in the first place. For example, sunsurf right now, it would be impossible to see who's doing it, security cameras or not. With wireless, the person doing the deed would not even to have to be in the same building / in plain sight.

Of course, that's assuming that someone is looking for them right then. If its x days after the deed, the leads would be virtually dead.

Yup.. works only when u have to log in.. But doesn't make tracing immpossible. Actully most people get caught because they go back to the same place same host to do the deed... anyay I remeber during my Uni days there was this guy hacking the Uni network in the 24hr lab.. it was 11pm at night and I was doing my project.. I remember the cops coming in grabbing him from the back and hauling him away....

Well not a fun sight to look at.. anyway that's not a singapore uni anyway.

min

Originally posted by Zoomer
    Yes, but that only works if there is a login name in the first place. For example, sunsurf right now, it would be impossible to see who's doing it, security cameras or not. With wireless, the person doing the deed would not even to have to be in the same building / in plain sight.

Of course, that's assuming that someone is looking for them right then. If its x days after the deed, the leads would be virtually dead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12