Thread: Need your honest feedback..thanks! :)

Default Need your honest feedback..thanks! :)

Hi CS mates,

It's been like an eternity since I last posted!

I'm helping a friend to take photos for his food stall. Somewhat I find that the photo lacks some punch.

Need ur honest advice on what could give this shot
    more punch. I thought of shooting using a shallow DOF, portrait mode, shooting with the old lady cook...but my friend wants something quite 'traditional'.

The setup was very simple:
    - Camera on tripod
    - A speedlight CLS that fired just on top of the food.
    - No additive was used in brightening up the food

Thanks for ur time in reading this and giving me any opinions u may have..Have a good day!

Cheers,

ML

Default Re: Need your honest feedback..thanks! :)

i think you need a little bit of color for the food it looks a bit saturated, the composition is ok, but the food its a bit pale.... you need to present it in a way that the food looks inviting

regards,,

lacks something in the presentation... need to put some garnishings on the sides... change the plate, try different shapes with colors and designs... experiments with some angles on your shot...

just my 2 cents...

Depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to make people hungry, these would probably not work.

More "punch" doesn't tell anyone what you REALLY want.

Quote Originally Posted by talisman View Post
    Hi CS mates,

Need ur honest advice on what could give this shot
    more punch. I thought of shooting using a shallow DOF, portrait mode, shooting with the old lady cook...but my friend wants something quite 'traditional'.

The setup was very simple:
    - Camera on tripod
    - A speedlight CLS that fired just on top of the food.
    - No additive was used in brightening up the food

Thanks for ur time in reading this and giving me any opinions u may have..Have a good day!

Cheers,

ML

Thanks ALL for ur feedback. Will work on it. I have this week to get this right.

Waileong, I guess what I mean by "more punch" is as what u said...get ppl hungry...make the food more inviting...

food photography is not that easy afterall...

You need to enhance the colour texture of the food display.

Brush some cooking oil on the prawns and spot some lights on the prawns.

The white carrot cake seem to have too much burnt egg yolk and the crust too thick. Fried some as per normal, but don't over cook. When it is about to be ready, add in some more carrot cake. The intention is to have 60/40 portion of carrot cake with egg and plain carrot cake on the plate. Pls dont put on the carrot cake or else it will have negative effect, of food being too oily. Add some garnish of greens when done - pls use fresh spring onions and make sure it is round when cut - use the portion nearer to the root.

For the black carrot cake, not dark enough. Add more dark sauce and add greens to it. Need to add chopped garlics so that the black carrot cake does not look too dark on display. The display should have 90/5/5 - black carrot cake / spring onion / garlics

Use Chinese plates [Chinaware] and wooden chopsticks - the combination will depends on how what type of chinaware you use - with design or plain white. Do trials to test out the effect.

The portion on the plate need not be too big as these are oily food. Use a smaller plate and the portion should be "just nice" for one pax. Customers will not think they can't finish it when they see the photo.

Put the plate on the table. Watch out for colour combination of the plate use, utensils and table. Don't have too much colour combination as it will divert the attention on the food. Put some chopstick holders on the table or some cooking utensils as background. When taking photo, these backdrop need not be in full.

Finally, use a centre focus filter..

lighting n colors are flat...it dun look appertising at all...u can try tungsten light for food photography the warm cast giv it an appertising look...n try other composition...this composition is too str8 on...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

under fluorescent lights, the food looks "dead".
    1. try using tungsten lamps!
    2. add in more sheen ie. put some shine onto the food with oil.
    3. jazz up the dishes - put more greens / reds ie. garnishing.
    4. use dynamic angles eg. nearer and lower, like you are diving into the food.
    5. experiment with a bit of bokeh / composition - a bit ok. not everything has to be in focus and in frame.
    Canon 5D & 35L + Panasonic Lumix GX1 & 20mm
    Flickr | Buy Baobao's photobook!

Thanks ALL for ur feedback.
    I really appreciate the honest feedback and tips.
    will put them to good use.
    Going to try this Sunday. Will post here the results

Thanks again to all of u!

You may want to visit this thread by ishoot who is very much into taking food pictures in his personal blog.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=232428

His blog : http://ieatishootipost.blogspot.com/

I have no experience in shooting food but from what I observe from nice food pictures, here are my suggestion :

Shoot height slightly lower instead of too much from the top
    Shoot closer to food to give viewer as if he is diving into the food
    Shallow DOF (play with DOF ....... longer focal length and closer subject distance) to isolate the food from the plate or background
    Tungsten light (more ambience feeling instead of plain flourescent light we see daily with our naked eyes)
    More reflective food surfaces (may be paint some cooking oil over the top of the food)
    Camera angle tilt diagonally (to give a dynamic feel)
    Nice, new looking plates and utensils (used, old and dirty plates and utensils are not appetising)
    Watch the background colour and contrast with the food and plate (to isolate the food).
    Don't need to have the whole bowl or plate to be in the frame as the focus should be on the food.

Hope the above is of some help.
    Last edited by Clockunder; 8th November 2006 at 11:28 PM.