Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Question on Flash

Default Basic Question on Flash

Hi guys,

Just a stupid question on the flash. I got a NikonD80 and SB600. Just wondering why every time I turn on the flash, the shutter speed turns to 1/60s. I take mostly social events where it is usually indoors and dark and people move about quite a bit. I was hoping to use the flash to freeze their motions a little bit more/ to have a higher shutter speed.

I read somewhere that when photographing moving subjects (candid shots) it is best to use 1/250s or some high shutter speed like that. But in the dark it is impossible to get that kind of speed right? and if i use the flash, the thing only stops at 1/60s.

anyway to get round the problem? thanks in advance!

Rgds
    kok hua

Blog Entries

Default Re: Basic Question on Flash

switch to manual mode

Switch the flash mode to rear curtain to remove the 1/60s limitation.

u noe how fast is speed of light? if u have to stop down to 1/60 means ur flash is not lighting up the people properly or bright enough. If u are bouncing the light, check celling is not too high or too low. Use A flash card to bounce some light to the front at the same time. It may help.

If u use ttl, the shutter will close once it detects that the photo is properly exposed therefore the shutter speed of 1/60s is onli "for show". Somebody correct me if i'm wrong. This is only to my knowledge.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

Quote Originally Posted by hokokhua View Post
    Hi guys,

Just a stupid question on the flash. I got a NikonD80 and SB600. Just wondering why every time I turn on the flash, the shutter speed turns to 1/60s.
    One of your menu setting under flash/shutter prevent you from chosing the flash syn to 1/200.

meaning one of your menu option activate the flash it stop to 1/60.

check manual page 141.
    Last edited by longkangman; 7th November 2006 at 07:01 PM.

High speed sync is the way to go.

Search for this.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I am using the D80 with SB 800 what you can do is to put to "S" and set speed to 1/250. on the Flash set to iTTL with FP for high speed sync.

Quote Originally Posted by chanxj View Post
    u noe how fast is speed of light? if u have to stop down to 1/60 means ur flash is not lighting up the people properly or bright enough. If u are bouncing the light, check celling is not too high or too low. Use A flash card to bounce some light to the front at the same time. It may help.

If u use ttl, the shutter will close once it detects that the photo is properly exposed therefore the shutter speed of 1/60s is onli "for show". Somebody correct me if i'm wrong. This is only to my knowledge.
    wow.. where did you get this piece of knowledge from?

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by unseen View Post
    wow.. where did you get this piece of knowledge from?
    from his own theory i guess...

thanks guys for all your brilliant advice. i managed to find out more about the camera. i realised that i can actually set the flash to auto FP mode (as one of you experts out there commented) about. the manual mode advice is also really helpful ... now I can experiment with slower shutter speeds as well to try to get more of the ambient light.

thanks guys for all your brilliant advice. i managed to find out more about the camera. i realised that i can actually set the flash to auto FP mode (as one of you experts out there commented) about. the manual mode advice is also really helpful ... now I can experiment with slower shutter speeds as well to try to get more of the ambient light.

Yeah.. you got that right. Slower shutter speeds of say 1/30 with flash is one of my fav settings to get a better BG. And remember to tune down the flash exposure if the subject is too brightly lit.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

you are right about flash is able to freeze a moving subjuct.

when you are shooting indoor, the ambient light is low, D200 default lower sync speed for auto and programme mode is 1/60s, you may switch to manual mode to use other sync speed, max is 1/250, but you will have a very dark backgound.

this is a shot I did in slow speed with manual mode, to add motion with a flash.

Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you are right about flash is able to freeze a moving subjuct.

when you are shooting indoor, the ambient light is low, D200 default lower sync speed for auto and programme mode is 1/60s, you may switch to manual mode to use other sync speed, max is 1/250, but you will have a very dark backgound.

this is a shot I did in slow speed with manual mode, to add motion with a flash.

wow this is cool ... how slow was the shutter? what's the exposure compensation and ISO? was your subject moving?

wow this is cool ... how slow was the shutter? what's the exposure compensation and ISO? was your subject moving?
    can't really remember, should be 1/8 or 1/15, ISO 400, no flash compensation, subjects are running and so am I.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to get the SB600. Just a question. Does it include a bounce card/relector?

Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm planning to get the SB600. Just a question. Does it include a bounce card/relector?
    Nope, not included. But you can easily make one yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbean View Post
    Nope, not included. But you can easily make one yourself.
    Hi, just offtopic a little this is my very first post in this forum ... nice to see like minded ppl here ....

ok back on topic ... I just bought a SB 600 too and it doesn't come with any bounce card/reflector ... may I ask how to make one?? Use a white piece of paper can? What material should I used?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hongwei View Post
    Hi, just offtopic a little this is my very first post in this forum ... nice to see like minded ppl here ....

ok back on topic ... I just bought a SB 600 too and it doesn't come with any bounce card/reflector ... may I ask how to make one?? Use a white piece of paper can? What material should I used?

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum...

There is a link here to make a DIY bounce card,

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=221527

You can also make a simpler one by just cutting a white card and attaching unto your flash head using rubber bands or velcro.

The simplest which I used before was using a piece of white cardboard and stuck using scotch tape to the flash unit....

Just cut it to about A6 size... or slightly larger if you want more bounced light.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbean View Post
    Welcome to the forum...

There is a link here to make a DIY bounce card,

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=221527

You can also make a simpler one by just cutting a white card and attaching unto your flash head using rubber bands or velcro.
    Thanks for the link and the tips ... taking a look right now to learn some tips out of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast