Thread: new epson P3000 user report

Default new epson P3000 user report

My P3000 just arrived from US. ordered from BHphoto. Delivery took 3 days. Came with a AC adapter than can take 240V. The plug is standard US 2 flat pins which can be disconneced from the AC adapter
    allowing you to connect a 3pin plug easily.

Preliminary impressions, the screen is really good, especially the color. But the difference is subtle I guess. The P2000 was already super duper good. I think the color is deeper than my 2 year old IMAC G5 LCD.

The unit is much thicker than the P2000 and doesn't look as cool. I dun know why it is so thick... The interface is MUCH faster though. Copying from the CF slot is SUPER fast I think. People say 1GB around 1min. My impression is that a 80 meg file takes only a FEW seconds. Moving between photos is very fast compared to my s3pro.... definately fast enough so that there is not waiting time.

Able to view my s3pro raw file. I think it uses the embeded JPEG and you don't have FULL resolution. But for s3pro. the embeded JPEG is good enough to check focus. Best of all it allows you to rate the photos and retain the ratings in adobe bridge, I think.

One interesting feature is the display photo enhance. I thought it managed to make some of my photos look much better. It showed me which is the photos were like under, not saturated enoughm etc.

Music playback not very good. Built in speakers is bad. Video playback... able to play a DIVX 720 by 5xx 25fps file. Cannot play another mp4 file I encoded....

edit: managed to encode a .avi file which runs quite well on the P3000. It makes a very good video viewer actually. spec at 3 hours of battery life which allows to you watch something while on the train, plane, etc.

All in all, a very good solution as a travelling companion. I have a 5xx grams ultraportable notebook sony U8G that runs windows XP which I bring on my travels. It has a bigger 5" screen with better resolution but the color is not very good. And it is SLOW to use. Takes long to powerup and BAD battery life. The P3000 has better color, more disk space, faster UI, longer battery life. Of course it doesn't run XP.... which limits its functionality a bit.
    Last edited by wind30; 8th November 2006 at 09:25 AM.

Default Re: new epson P3000 user report

I saw the P5000 at either Yodobashi or Bic Camera while I'm in Japan but did not buy coz worry about warrranty. Come to think of it, should have bought it first and if dun like sell it off.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    The interface is MUCH faster though. Copying from the CF slot is SUPER fast I think.
    thanks for the update
    sounds good.
    seems its much faster than the p-2000

i am interested in the improvements of the battery life.
    the p-2000 battery can only handle ~16gb of transfer with no chimping
    if you can update that the p-3000 batt life, it would be good.
    Regards, Mark Pang
    www.markpangphotography.com

Just some info

Epson P3000/ P5000

- LCD Type: 4" Photo Fine Ultra LCD by Epson, Low temperature poly-silicon TFT 640 x 480 pixels, displays up to 16,777,216 colors

- Dimensions: 88.7mm x 150mm x 31.1mm

- Weight: 454g

Epson P4000

- LCD Type: 3.8" Photo Fine LCD by Epson. (Transparent poly-silicon TFT LCD)

- Dimensions: 84mm x 147mm x 31.4mm

- Weight: 408g

Epson P2000

- LCD Type: 84mm x 147mm x 31.4mm

- Weight: 408g

more updates.

Tried the USB conenctor. I can connect my s3pro directly to the P3000 and read the XD card inside. Did not work with my portable 80GB 2.5" drive though.... did not work with my ipod 60GB video either. Would be nice if I can connect my ipod video directly to the P3000 and transfer all my MP3 into it. The manual says you can connect external harddisk to it... I guess it is still a bit buggy.

Watched a little desperate housewife on it and I must say the experience is very good. The 640 by 480 screen gives you close to DVD resolution and with a pair of headphones (the P3000 speaker sucks) I can imagine myself watching the whole season on the P3000 screen.

The file is around 70meg for a 8min clip.

Quote Originally Posted by haagen_dazs View Post
    thanks for the update
    sounds good.
    seems its much faster than the p-2000

i am interested in the improvements of the battery life.
    the p-2000 battery can only handle ~16gb of transfer with no chimping
    if you can update that the p-3000 batt life, it would be good.
    dunno about how much transfer it can take. 16GB? I would never have 16GB of data for one whole day of sightseeing, even with my s3pro at 25meg per shot.

Quote Originally Posted by songandesther View Post
    I saw the P5000 at either Yodobashi or Bic Camera while I'm in Japan but did not buy coz worry about warrranty. Come to think of it, should have bought it first and if dun like sell it off.
    i saw it too!absolutely amazing!

Usually, transfer speed isnt a concern to me as I have more than 2 CF cards to alternate. For overseas trip, I usually have access to power outlets daily. It is only a concern when I am out in the field (e.g. trekking/ desert) for days and a higher transfer speed means the ability to conserve battery.

ok from the P5000 brochere I got from Japan,

1GB CF card can copy 60 times on one battery charge. Takes 155 seconds to copy 1GB.

It can display 88% of adobe RGB which I think makes it better than most LCDs on our tabletop other than the super expensive ones.

Not tested. Just specs from the brochere.

Found one MAJOR problem. My chinese/japanese MP3 cannot display in Chinese or Japanese..... no such problem on my ipod video dunno how to fix....
    Last edited by wind30; 10th November 2006 at 08:22 PM.