Thread: What does Bicubic and Interpolate of pixels does?

Default What does Bicubic and Interpolate of pixels does?

With regards to the above in photoshop, what are its functions and when do we it? Can make image sharper?

Default Re: What does Bicubic and Interpolate of pixels does?

Interpolation is the process by which software attempts to increase the size of an image by guessing what colour and brightness are the pixels to be added in. It does this by looking at the pixels already in the image. Bilinear interpolation refers to the process of interpolation whereby the 4 adjacent pixels are used to determine what the pixels should be, and bicubic uses the 16 nearest pixels to determine the pixel...and if that is not enough, in CS2, there is bicubic sharper and bicubic smoother...

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    Interpolation is the process by which software attempts to increase the size of an image by guessing what colour and brightness are the pixels to be added in. It does this by looking at the pixels already in the image. Bilinear interpolation refers to the process of interpolation whereby the 4 adjacent pixels are used to determine what the pixels should be, and bicubic uses the 16 nearest pixels to determine the pixel...and if that is not enough, in CS2, there is bicubic sharper and bicubic smoother...
    Forgive my newbieness. So which is the best interpolation for resizing any photos? or does different interpolation do different magics to different kind of images?

i use bicubic sharper to downsize and bicubic smoother to upsize
    shadistic@deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by shadie View Post
    i use bicubic sharper to downsize and bicubic smoother to upsize
    What will be the difference for these 2 options? does it do sharpening or smoothening when resizing at the same time?

Well i think u'll get a better explanation if u can try it out and see the results for yourself.
    shadistic@deviantArt