wat auntie?dun be so sarcastic lah!(
    Auntie,

Auntie is what we call aunties.

Default Re: Home studio setup

shitstirrer,

ya and shitstirrers are what we called shitstirrers

Default Re: home studio setup

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    like i said lor.15 by 7 BUT it's not a EMPTY room.got beds, wardrobes and the room actually has more than 4 walls.
    so, effective working area for the 'studio' is much less than you think.

btw, is height of room an important factor in home studio?
    I would suggest you measure what ACTUAL space you have to work with no point talking about total room size when after less out what is in the room you have a 10ft x 10ft space and want to buy 1000 watt lights.go buy chenna RF triggers about 50 to 80 bucks or buy a infra red trigger or if you are really cheap use your flash sb800 or sb600 on manual at lowest power pointed away from subject. It sounds like you never done studio before...... good luck if you plan to learn off a book.

Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    I would suggest you measure what ACTUAL space you have to work with no point talking about total room size when after less out what is in the room you have a 10ft x 10ft space and want to buy 1000 watt lights.go buy chenna RF triggers about 50 to 80 bucks or buy a infra red trigger or if you are really cheap use your flash sb800 or sb600 on manual at lowest power pointed away from subject. It sounds like you never done studio before...... good luck if you plan to learn off a book.
    ok.thanks for the tips.
    i've done studio in a friend's house donkey years ago.

i prefer to work with studio flashes than sb800.sb26 and such...

anyhow,i'll get the lights this weekend.thanks all

btw guys, $160 for a 4 hour studio rental?
    SIBEH ho TAN!

maybe i should really open up my room and sit there collect rental.
    Sister - you go do the maths on this and then tell me again its dam good to earn. actually if this was the only revenue source for the studio you will go broke. grin with people who think that it more economical to setup a home studio means no customers right *-)
    Spend $160 four hours of time get a friend to stand in as model or do still life study - set up and shoot - get a feel for what is happening. Then decided could save you a few bucks when the thrill is gone but the equipment remains. But if you got sugar daddy or real life rich daddy who is willing to bank roll wat the hell just buy and play play lor.

Some how I forsee you that you have already decide to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by ellery View Post
    Sister - you go do the maths on this and then tell me again its dam good to earn. actually if this was the only revenue source for the studio you will go broke. grin with people who think that it more economical to setup a home studio means no customers right *-)
    Spend $160 four hours of time get a friend to stand in as model or do still life study - set up and shoot - get a feel for what is happening. Then decided could save you a few bucks when the thrill is gone but the equipment remains. But if you got sugar daddy or real life rich daddy who is willing to bank roll wat the hell just buy and play play lor.

Some how I forsee you that you have already decide to buy.
    i agree that u cant survive based on rental of studio.usually, these are just additional income for photographers who depends on their studio for a living?i dunno.and i'm not sure.so cant comment.

no sugar daddy, no rich daddy.me work.me earn.me money.me spend.simple equation.
    why do guys always think that when a gal is rich, or has cash to spare, it ALWAYS is because there's a rich guy behind her? can tell me why?sexist? generalisation?

i've only decided after some good comments from this thread, and from people who pm me good advices even without replying to this thread.
    these are the same people that warn me of airheads in CS, and i'm beginning to see the light.

i agree that u cant survive based on rental of studio.usually, these are just additional income for photographers who depends on their studio for a living?i dunno.and i'm not sure.so cant comment.

no sugar daddy, no rich daddy.me work.me earn.me money.me spend.simple equation.
    why do guys always think that when a gal is rich, or has cash to spare, it ALWAYS is because there's a rich guy behind her? can tell me why?sexist? generalisation?

i've only decided after some good comments from this thread, and from people who pm me good advices even without replying to this thread.
    these are the same people that warn me of airheads in CS, and i'm beginning to see the light.
    seven early eight early so disturded alredi ah. have a can of jia jia herbal tea.

all the best for your home studio setup.

Quote Originally Posted by drumma View Post
    2k where got enuff. unless u are buying those china brands.
    newbie here, pardon me if i'm wrong.
    i think u also need to factor in how many watts u want to get. a 300W light and a 1000W light has alot of difference in pricing.
    backdros, what kind too.
    light modifiers. yes.. u might want to get those as it is very very useful. and again, not cheap for such items. if u buy kit set like a bowens esprit gemini kit, it'll be around $2.5k already. 2 lights, 1 umbrella and 1 softbox.
    i think around 4-6k will be a good budget if u are considering bowens/elinchrome.
    reliability? so far my bowens haven't fail me yet.
    Here's one shot for my client's wedding invitation card:

I used a good old Metz 60CT4 (costed me around $500 2nd hand), 1x Electra 250W + 1 Umbrella ($30) + self made snoot with diffuser in front; expodisc for WB.

Backdrop is HDB white wall space, I think only 3m by 3m, shot from the corridor that's about 4 meters deep, 85mm was enough to compress the perspective so that you won't know the space's that small.

Btw, the 60CT4 is a 200W flash, if you can live with the 5 sec recycling time after each full blast.

When you've seen how the Thai folks in some of the Bangkok studios do it, you'll be humbled. Their setups are really primitive, but they could produce really stunning results, it's all about learning how to light. What's more important, is my clients were very happy with the results (you should see the printed card).

For bigger jobs, I use the Bowens esp when shooting CEOs or important people in companies. China flash, well, they're cheap, but the thought of these lights possibly catching fire or exploding in my client's face is enough to make me NOT TO use those, after all commercial clients have a different budget altogether. Plus, anything that needs trouble shooting, I can always call Ruby photo for SOS ...Eng and Mr Ho have saved my butt a few times really.

I have Bowens 1000w & 500W and frankly, 1000w is overkill - Just up your ISO from 100-200, your flash power required is literally halved. Comeon, how many of us actually shoot using ISO 25 at F22 these days to need that kind of firepower?
    Last edited by canturn; 9th November 2006 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dDarkroom View Post
    seven early eight early so disturded alredi ah. have a can of jia jia herbal tea.

all the best for your home studio setup.
    thanks .well, all sorts run in forums i guess.
    just like my friend who told me you can all sorts of rojak in NS.true?

thanks .well, all sorts run in forums i guess.
    just like my friend who told me you can all sorts of rojak in NS.true?
    NS - mine donkey years alredi. was operating a gambling den in the camp then. well repented.

abt that lips my wify is just beside me leh wait kena pull ears, don't temp me hor.

i like the shot very very much.so my white wall can be backdrop too.(why didnt i think of that?)

i have a metz 45 CL(?) which has been in the cell with my F5 and other accesories for donkey years.u think still can fire?

i dont quite understand this phrase.China flash, well, they're cheap, but the thought of these lights possibly catching fire or exploding in my client's face is enough to make me use those, after all commercial clients have a different budget altogether
    u mean u are afraid these lights zibaboom and yet u use it?

now, a bit of comments from a newbie for that shot though i love it.hope its ok for you.but if it aint 2cents as usual, ignore me.

i would have prefered her head tilted towards the guy.her skin tone lightened, and her body less rigor mortis.

envy you guys.weekdays otherhalf can be beside u surfing forums.mien cho kang one.

i like the shot very very much.so my white wall can be backdrop too.(why didnt i think of that?)

i have a metz 45 CL(?) which has been in the cell with my F5 and other accesories for donkey years.u think still can fire?

i dont quite understand this phrase.China flash, well, they're cheap, but the thought of these lights possibly catching fire or exploding in my client's face is enough to make me use those, after all commercial clients have a different budget altogether
    u mean u are afraid these lights zibaboom and yet u use it?

now, a bit of comments from a newbie for that shot though i love it.hope its ok for you.but if it aint 2cents as usual, ignore me.

i would have prefered her head tilted towards the guy.her skin tone lightened, and her body less rigor mortis.
    woops..typed too fast..amended

Electra's made in Thailand...not china
    Last edited by canturn; 9th November 2006 at 10:38 AM.

canturn's setup is simple and mobile. btw hor the arm and the body so close together look like..... wat the word to describe huh

wify updating directory via the web. me suppose to be doing post process. you know anot pp too much sien also so must come in cs to relax.

canturn's setup is simple and mobile. btw hor the arm and the body so close together look like..... wat the word to describe huh
    dun be rude .he didnt ask for c&c.
    i've been feeling bad after my prev post.

canturn,i appreciate your effort in sharing your pic with me.i'm sorry if my comments to the pics are fit for lokang.

wify updating directory via the web. me suppose to be doing post process. you know anot pp too much sien also so must come in cs to relax.

so you guys are those work from home one ah?lagi envy siah!

dun be rude .he didnt ask for c&c.
    i've been feeling bad after my prev post.

canturn,i appreciate your effort in sharing your pic with me.i'm sorry if my comments to the pics are fit for lokang.
    sorri, sorri, me naughty just part and parcel of pp lingo lah

my sincere apology. btw I do respect canturn's wedding pics post in the wedding forum.

so you guys are those work from home one ah?lagi envy siah!
    ya lor, no money to rent office.

ya lor, no money to rent office.
    sometimes, home is the BEST office.if u tan jiak, all u need is to register your home as office what.so what's the diff?
    + u get all the luxuries at home.can idle, can sleep, can eat, watch TV, blast your 10k hifi, and when u're feeling hot....your wife just beside u.
    what more can u ask for?

haiyah...man.

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 478910111419 ... LastLast