Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678111631 ... LastLast

Thread: Home studio setup

Default Re: home studio setup

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post
    Hmmmm Feeling rich??? would u be sure u will be using it often to justify the amount spent on it?
    no, just that life has nothing to look foward to and i'm just trying to distract myself with photography.must u stir up my bad feelings?

Default Re: Home studio setup

Yes exposure will be the same (unless you live in some incredibly hazy environment) as long as your lights to subject distance remains the same.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Jean ... NPNT (No Pic No Tok)
    may i suggest you post a photo of your room (of course minus your bed, etc..).. This will help a lot when these experts are giving you advices.
    However if you want even better advices, post one of your nicer photo (esp the one where u look like Lin Chiling), or if you are ok, have a open house, and i am sure these experts will bring along their equipments for you to test out before u plonk yr hard earned cash ....
    photo of room?cant lah.me messy gal.later all my lingerie exposed.
    kiddin...but really , a gal's room very secret one lah.dun wish to share pics of it.

who's lin chiling?
    open house?no need lah. i dont want the unwanted attention honestly.
    i've been forumming for sometime, and yes, there are wolves among saints...
    though i have to admit, the old birds here are a nice bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    How to have no cable? That the problem with life man, so many wires and stuff. The last time I went overseas I had a whole bag of assorted chargers Agree that's a nice ass
    that's why i try to minimise cables.got wireless, use wireless.power point bo pian.

tot of another issue.
    is the natural light from window an issue in studio portraiture?do i need to blackout or lightproof my windows with curtains?

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i've been forumming for sometime, and yes, there are wolves among saints...
    my dear ... all the good guys already dead and became saints .... (up there )...
    all those remain here are all wolves la ....
    always the Light, .... always.

astin

very nice!a pic speaks a thousand words.

i see all the cables runnning about.doh.any thing such as cableless strobes?

i think i'll get 2 strobes first.maybe 1 at 1kwatt and another at 500w.wat u think?
    btw, the 1k and 500w types, can the power of the strobe be controlled?

i'm amazed a setup like yours can shoot full length portrait.i always think need alot of space one.

btw, nice a$$
    There are strobes that run on battery power, abt $3k each I think...
    I would say getting a 1kW and a 500W is good start, later u can add another 500W if need to, or sell the 500W and buy another 1kW also can. Bowens light u can control the flash power.
    A normal adult is about 1.6m-1.8m tall, so u dun need a lot of space to shoot full lenght, however, u need a lot of space if u shoot groups of ppl.
    (tip #1, try to practise that standing position everyday for 15 minutes, it will help u to hold camera without handshake...)

I find that its easier to work in a dark environment, can see the light's angle better. Afterall its just a curtain mah. Or you can just shoot at night

canonised,

definitely disagree.

oh anyhow, i'm getting enlightened by saints now so it doesnt really matter since i'm not looking for boyfriends/husband.

u gonna get your a$$ spanked for a comment like that.good luck!

Astin, battery operated strobes also need cables what. Just that you can put the pack closer to the stands, though it kinda defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    There are strobes that run on battery power, abt $3k each I think...
    I would say getting a 1kW and a 500W is good start, later u can add another 500W if need to, or sell the 500W and buy another 1kW also can. Bowens light u can control the flash power.
    A normal adult is about 1.6m-1.8m tall, so u dun need a lot of space to shoot full lenght, however, u need a lot of space if u shoot groups of ppl.
    (tip #1, try to practise that standing position everyday for 15 minutes, it will help u to hold camera without handshake...)

my small a$$ sure needs some pilate for humanised VR

i dun want to buy then sell, buy then sell.now no one even wants my 80-200.less to say a 500w milo tin.it's a hassle selling things over forum.so many liasons to do.cant afford the time.luckily i got personal concierge.

sigh...all these said, i dont even know eventually i will like studio portraiture or not.later all dump into storeroom...but i would love to try it.seen too many nice pics from this forum.tempted!

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    I find that its easier to work in a dark environment, can see the light's angle better. Afterall its just a curtain mah. Or you can just shoot at night

mine are full length windows.curtains are translucent.not 100% light cut.
    so..that means i got to go make some lightproof curtains first?

this is going way beyond my budget.

your setup is cheap!BUT 100watts a bit unsuitable for me.last thing i want is to buy something then realised not powderful enuf and then go buy a better one.so i'll prob stick to 400 or 500w.what's a light tent for?product shots?and where to get backdrops other than cp?
    6 by 7 meter back drop, i assume it is sufficient to shoot full length portraits?when u buy backdrops, do they include delivery?else, 6m x 7 how to fit into car?i'm assuimg it comes in rolls like toilet paper.
    Wah, 500W lights in such a small place for portraits? Might be a bit of an overkill but I guess it's good if you want to expand your studio in the future.

A light tent is like a big soft box to take product shots in. The subject is placed in the light tent and the strobes on either side, on top etc... The tent is used to diffuse the lighting. You get an effect like this...

I pick up most of my stuff from ebay. I mainly use fabric backdrops and those can be folded, they feel like curtain fabric and can be stored pretty easily when not in use. Paper backdrops are another option but it really depends what sort of look you're going after in your portraits. I find that paper backdrops are harder to store in a home studio and they crease very easily when not properly handled. If fabric creases, you just iron it out.

if you look at astin's link of his studio, my room is slightly bigger than that.and he has 2 x 500w and 1 x 1kwatt.

so how?i'm confused.so 500w suff bo?

i saw the lighttent in japan.but didnt know what it was for.

man...you guys should see some of the big electrical shops in japan like bic camera.
    they got everything A to Z DISPLAYED.
    their philosophy is more like 'no display no talk' (NDNT)

if you look at astin's link of his studio, my room is slightly bigger than that.and he has 2 x 500w and 1 x 1kwatt.

so how?i'm confused.so 500w suff bo?
    Actually I have 2x 500W and 2x 1kW, and 1 Jinbei portable light, but that does not mean I use all 5 lights lah, the general rule of thumb, get 1 extra light more than what u need, so if the light spoilt u still have backup.

wow... so fast having home studio liao ?
    anyway.. i think its best for u to visit some of the guy's studios before deciding on wat u want.. cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by Will03 View Post
    wow... so fast having home studio liao ?
    anyway.. i think its best for u to visit some of the guy's studios before deciding on wat u want.. cheers...
    hey idol.when i setup my studio, u must come and teach me ya.can?

btw,i'm still waiting for your pw!
    Last edited by jeanie; 7th November 2006 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Actually I have 2x 500W and 2x 1kW, and 1 Jinbei portable light, but that does not mean I use all 5 lights lah, the general rule of thumb, get 1 extra light more than what u need, so if the light spoilt u still have backup.
    astin, photography is your main giver of food on your table?

i'm a hobbyist,not to mention i newbie, not to mention i may not eventually like studio, not to mention i got budget, not to mention....
    doh...

2 enuff for me first lah.i use sb26, small and portable and hiddenable behind subject for backdrop lighting.
    can bo?

hey idol.when i setup my studio, u must come and teach me ya.can?
    aiyo.... when it comes to studio.. i pale in comparision to some of the guys here.. really....if u noticed... i do not have many studio pics...

Quote Originally Posted by Will03 View Post
    aiyo.... when it comes to studio.. i pale in comparision to some of the guys here.. really....if u noticed... i do not have many studio pics...
    guo4 du4 de3 chien1 xu1 bian4 chen2 xu1 wei3

heard of it?

btw,i'm still waiting for your pw!

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678111631 ... LastLast