Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21722252627282932 ... LastLast

Thread: Home studio setup

Default Re: Home studio setup

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i need more enlightenment.
    when u said my flash cant freeze her legs, so will it help if i put another strobe on floor and fire?

also, previously you said this:

only two reasons that I can think of:
    #1, flash duration too long, try bring you light closer and cut down the power, to cut short the flash duration

what's the relation between flash output(power) and flash duration?
    you mean if i blast at full power, my flash duration is longer(in milliseconds) compared to if i blast at minimal power?

appreciate your guidance very much.
    yes, but to my surprise that some studio flash that does not shorten flash duration if the power being cut down.

some interesting readings.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    yes, but to my surprise that some studio flash that does not shorten flash duration if the power being cut down.

some interesting readings.
    interesting read.but becomes abit technical as i move to next page.

what's the relation between flash output(power) and flash duration?
    you mean if i blast at full power, my flash duration is longer(in milliseconds) compared to if i blast at minimal power?
    appreciate your guidance very much.
    Most lights (flash tubes) have a constant output. So, the flash simply works by controlling the time it lights up to determine how much light to hit on the subject.

The higher the power required, the longer the light is "exposed". We are talking about milliseconds here.

And you should shoot with the highest possible sync speed to prevent ambient light being captured on your camera.

Instead of moving your lights nearer to the subject to reduce the power, you can also consider increasing your ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by pigs_can_fly View Post
    Most lights (flash tubes) have a constant output. So, the flash simply works by controlling the time it lights up to determine how much light to hit on the subject.

The higher the power required, the longer the light is "exposed". We are talking about milliseconds here.

And you should shoot with the highest possible sync speed to prevent ambient light being captured on your camera.

Instead of moving your lights nearer to the subject to reduce the power, you can also consider increasing your ISO.
    thanks for the advice.
    iso.i forgot alllllllll about that.

are there any studio strobes in the market that can simultaneously fire 5 burst of flash?

are there any studio strobes in the market that can simultaneously fire 5 burst of flash?
    Cheapest and most practical way... Nikon SB800 (YOu should have one right?)

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Cheapest and most practical way... Nikon SB800 (YOu should have one right?)

BC
    yes,
    but but i would prefer studio flash.

yes,
    but but i would prefer studio flash.
    There are... it's like the strobe lights you see in pubs.

Why would you prefer studio flash?

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    There are... it's like the strobe lights you see in pubs.

Why would you prefer studio flash?

BC
    i prefer studio flash because...

1)looks more pro (jj)
    2)i can slap on light modifiers like softbox, honeycombs and such.i really love the light from these modifiers.i'm sooooooooo into studio photography now i dont even wanna do outdoor shoot anymore...oh well....at least, for the time being
    3)i can control where i want the light(actually more or less same as point 2), how i want the light to spill.
    4)firing wirelessly is so cool.
    5)i'm able to utilise my super underutilise minolta autometer 4.
    6)i dont have more than 1 sb800 and it doesnt make sense to get 4-5 sb800 just to shoot studio.it's just not as versatile as studio strobes.

i prefer studio flash because...

1)looks more pro (jj)
    2)i can slap on light modifiers like softbox, honeycombs and such.i really love the light from these modifiers.i'm sooooooooo into studio photography now i dont even wanna do outdoor shoot anymore...oh well....at least, for the time being
    3)i can control where i want the light(actually more or less same as point 2), how i want the light to spill.
    4)firing wirelessly is so cool.
    5)i'm able to utilise my super underutilise minolta autometer 4.
    6)i dont have more than 1 sb800 and it doesnt make sense to get 4-5 sb800 just to shoot studio.it's just not as versatile as studio strobes.
    You can also make snoots for the SB-800... I'm trying to as well... with a bottle of Lay's.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    You can also make snoots for the SB-800... I'm trying to as well... with a bottle of Lay's.
    i'm quite sure it can be done.but i missed out one important point to scaglietti.
    will the sb800 be able to match the studio strobe's output?i dont think so right?
    therefore, i still think studio flash are better for my purposes.

jeanie, the reason why it's not super sharp here is due to the "long" flash duration, which for most strobes lies about 1/600 to 1/800. For most cases, the higher the power the longer the duration. Last I heard, Elinchrom actually have the strobes with the shortest flash duration of 1/4000, which is why http://www.sarahsilver.com/ uses it for dance. She seems to have switched to broncolor though. But then again, each brand has it's pros and cons. So it's really up to you to decide how much dance related shoots you will be doing.
    Last edited by Splutter; 17th April 2007 at 05:18 PM.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    jeanie, the reason why it's not super sharp here is due to the "long" flash duration, which for most strobes lies about 1/600 to 1/800. For most cases, the higher the power the longer the duration. Last I heard, Elinchrom actually have the strobes with the shortest flash duration of 1/4000, which is why http://www.sarahsilver.com/ uses it for dance. She seems to have switched to broncolor though. But then again, each brand has it's pros and cons. So it's really up to you to decide how much dance related shoots you will be doing.
    thanks for the information.

splut, i just viewed some of her shots...

man...if i did some of those shots and post it here, i cant imagined HOW i would be flamed.

i'm quite sure it can be done.but i missed out one important point to scaglietti.
    will the sb800 be able to match the studio strobe's output?i dont think so right?
    therefore, i still think studio flash are better for my purposes.
    Match in which sense? Multiple shots or single burst at full power?

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Match in which sense? Multiple shots or single burst at full power?

the latter.
    please correct me if i'm wrong.

the latter.
    please correct me if i'm wrong.
    Yeah... already mentioned in the link which was given earlier by catchlights.

how about kino flo lights... continuous photo grade flourescent... less hot then tungsten so your subjects won't fry, but powerful continuous lights so you can use even really fast shutter speeds

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    how about kino flo lights... continuous photo grade flourescent... less hot then tungsten so your subjects won't fry, but powerful continuous lights so you can use even really fast shutter speeds
    who carried them in singapore?
    fluoro lights means they will have a green cast unless i set my WB to fluoro?well i shoot raw anyway.
    seems like these lights are more for videography.no?

which brings me to the question.
    if tungsten lights are so hot,
    why use them?who use them?for what purpose?

who carried them in singapore?
    fluoro lights means they will have a green cast unless i set my WB to fluoro?well i shoot raw anyway.
    seems like these lights are more for videography.no?

which brings me to the question.
    if tungsten lights are so hot,
    why use them?who use them?for what purpose?
    Videographers...

warm cast, And normally, used at a good distance away. Even then, the lights are still very hot for long usage... (I'd give them about 5mins before the model starts to complain...) hahaha

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21722252627282932 ... LastLast