Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1621242526272831 ... LastLast

Thread: Home studio setup

Default Re: Home studio setup

Quote Originally Posted by latinfrog View Post
    Hi guys, i just managed to read all 25 pages.. in 3 hrs.. I'm also like jeanie.. I wanna setup a home studio.. But i got a smaller space.. maybe about 4X4m as backdrop.. space is rather small for me.. any suggestions.. or can i stick to what you guys said?
    are you say the room areas are only 4x4m? if yes, when you shoot a full length model standing, the model has to stand against the wall or backdrop. you will save on the background light, hair light, kicker light, in fact, only one light will do.

but if you doing half body shots and able bring the model away from the background, then you will be able to set up lights to light the backdrop, hair and fills.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Hi guys, i just managed to read all 25 pages.. in 3 hrs.. I'm also like jeanie.. I wanna setup a home studio.. But i got a smaller space.. maybe about 4X4m as backdrop.. space is rather small for me.. any suggestions.. or can i stick to what you guys said?
    For your case it is probably easier and cheaper to rent a studio. The 4x4m floor space is too small and too limited for portraiture works.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    For your case it is probably easier and cheaper to rent a studio. The 4x4m floor space is too small and too limited for portraiture works.
    I've tried abit.. with a white wall.. able to capture 3/4 body.. but my wall very ugly.. so was hoping to get a backdrop.. and 1-2 lights to at least capture a stronger picture.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    are you say the room areas are only 4x4m? if yes, when you shoot a full length model standing, the model has to stand against the wall or backdrop. you will save on the background light, hair light, kicker light, in fact, only one light will do.

but if you doing half body shots and able bring the model away from the background, then you will be able to set up lights to light the backdrop, hair and fills.
    i'm able to capture 3/4 for gals above 1.65 but a full body lenght shldn't be a problem if lying to da side.. and 4x4 is an empty space.

Bo lang support me ah? Anyway i was thinking of temporary playing around using weaker lamps like study lamps. Any idea where i can get strong Study lamps? Seen ikea's website.. looks damn miserable.

Bo lang support me ah? Anyway i was thinking of temporary playing around using weaker lamps like study lamps. Any idea where i can get strong Study lamps? Seen ikea's website.. looks damn miserable.
    splutter did some shoot with $45 lamp setup IIRC.
    you may wanna check with him

the light level are quite low to work with, when you use a more powerful light, it will generate lots of heat, you and your model will be sweating thru out the whole session, if your room has is no air con, beside, strong light are very glaring.

anyway, like photobum said, the area you have are too small, you will have limited set up. not much input can offer you.

the light level are quite low to work with, when you use a more powerful light, it will generate lots of heat, you and your model will be sweating thru out the whole session, if your room has is no air con, beside, strong light are very glaring.

anyway, like photobum said, the area you have are too small, you will have limited set up. not much input can offer you.
    True enuff area is small. But den again it's still possible to do right? i don't think anything is impossible in shoots. Any brudders can correct me here?

this is da rough space i have.. Can be done right?

nobody say you can't, is just limited.

from my newbie experience in studio, the space you shown is good enough for up to 1/2-3/4 body.for full length, it's a bit though.unless you back all the way into your corridor, from where you are standing.
    if you use wide angle at close range, you will end up with 'distorted' pics.this is from my personal experience.

Hmm, this is actually pretty spacious. It's about the same as what I got too, so I guess you can stick to the suggestions previously given to jeanie.

this is da rough space i have.. Can be done right?
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Thanks guys. I was thinking of playing around with 1/2 - 3/4 first work my way slowly. At least when i get a bigger space den add abit more can start playing full body.

need help.

i realised my norm settings of 1/125 and f8 aint enough to freeze movement in studio.
    what should i set to since shutter speed aint really a significant factor in studio portraits?

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    need help.

i realised my norm settings of 1/125 and f8 aint enough to freeze movement in studio.
    what should i set to since shutter speed aint really a significant factor in studio portraits?
    you can go up to 1/250s for your D200, and lower the ambient light, it will cut down the ghost image.

you can go up to 1/250s for your D200, and lower the ambient light, it will cut down the ghost image.
    my ambient light is almost complete darkness.
    why is it some shots still has the ghosting?
    how to capture it super sharp?

the ambient light don't have to be complete darkness.
    ambient too low might have focusing problem.

only two reasons that I can think of:
    #1, flash duration too long, try bring you light closer and cut down the power, to cut short the flash duration.

#2, focusing problem.

catchlights,

have a look.

i thought shutter speed doesnt matter in studio as long as i keep below 1/250.
    but as you can see, her legs has a little motion blur.

obviously your flash can't freeze her leg, maybe that's not at the peak of the moment,

frankly I think that's a very good shot, this little blur doesn't bother me.

obviously your flash can't freeze her leg, maybe that's not at the peak of the moment,

frankly I think that's a very good shot, this little blur doesn't bother me.
    i need more enlightenment.
    when u said my flash cant freeze her legs, so will it help if i put another strobe on floor and fire?

also, previously you said this:

only two reasons that I can think of:
    #1, flash duration too long, try bring you light closer and cut down the power, to cut short the flash duration

what's the relation between flash output(power) and flash duration?
    you mean if i blast at full power, my flash duration is longer(in milliseconds) compared to if i blast at minimal power?

appreciate your guidance very much.

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1621242526272831 ... LastLast