Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1520232425262730 ... LastLast

Thread: Home studio setup

Default Re: Home studio setup

Shooting with 70-200 is really quite tiring leh. I think most ppl who use that mount on tripod one. I don't really see why you should need to bend down though, mostly ppl shoot from a slightly top down angle for better face proportions (make chin sharper etc)
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    the flash will freeze everything, no camera shake if the ambient is dark enough, I shoot at 1/200
    1)so am i right to assume if i shoot 200mm at 1/60 of a sec, and if my room is in near complete darkness save for a little window lights, i will not have blurred pics?

2)how do i shoot those portraits with movements?eg, a motion of a girl doing a backhand with a tennis racket and you want to show the flow of the movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    Shooting with 70-200 is really quite tiring leh. I think most ppl who use that mount on tripod one. I don't really see why you should need to bend down though, mostly ppl shoot from a slightly top down angle for better face proportions (make chin sharper etc)
    it's because sometimes my subject is seated.if i stand and fire at her, the angle doesnt really seem right. (top down).

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    yes you are right.i just wanted to try the different color gels effect on the white background before i do my portraiture.

but if i shot in raw, i can adjust the WB in LR right?

but good point.next time i will shoot the gretag WB card first and use the reading from there.
    bowens strobe says 5.5k kelvins, but when i set that and took portraits with it, the WB looks funny.my friend told me the technical specs of 5.5k is just an estimation.
    if you want to know more about color gel stuffs, do a search about Dean Collins, Chromazones
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

stool with adjustable height?go where buy?i went ikea to find, kind of tall.it's more of a bar stool.

catchy,females have heavier bottoms , so we rather work on our hands than using legs.very very tiring on the legs ah.
    i shot an entire day and i end up having to go for 2 hour foot massage the next day.
    just go and get a few of those plastic stools, you can stack them for different heights, and a small stools.

I guess why female don't like to sit down, cos someone ever told me that they sit down often and for long hours, the bigger butt they will have.

if you want to know more about color gel stuffs, do a search about Dean Collins, Chromazones
    like nothing much lei. found out he is color blind, he's dead in 2005, and he has this chromazone that have a nice effect using gel but they dont really provide much info on it?

so for every lighting setup, it's best to shoot a WB card first and use it from there?

but if i shoot raw, i can easily correct eh WB in lightroom right?
    if you think it will save you a lot of trouble during the post, why not?

u see, you use 50mm 1.4, then i got to move front move back using my legs.if i use a 70-200 then all i need is zoom in zoom out.no?
    yes, i tried with 60mm macro too.what i like is i can go near to the subject and do macro on her eyes.
    sound like you are shooting an Indian movie, ZOOM IN, ZOOM OUT, ZOOM IN again, ZOOM OUT now.

sound like you are shooting an Indian movie, ZOOM IN, ZOOM OUT, ZOOM IN again, ZOOM OUT now.
    dun lidat.me not pro like you, i got no teacher beside me to teach me what's right or wrong.else i would have a 25 page thread which i've learnt so much.

like nothing much lei. found out he is color blind, he's dead in 2005, and he has this chromazone that have a nice effect using gel but they dont really provide much info on it?
    Ok, white is three stops brighter than mid gray, if you light a white background white, it is no possible to add any color on it and still show solid color, only pale color.

this is nothing to do about studio flash, color balance, camera, lenses. is about physics of light.

Ok, white is three stops brighter than mid gray, if you light a white background white, it is no possible to add any color on it and still show solid color, only pale color.

this is nothing to do about studio flash, color balance, camera, lenses. is about physics of light.
    so people buy color gel for what ah?to give that faint tinge of color to a white or black backdrop?

2)how do i shoot those portraits with movements?eg, a motion of a girl doing a backhand with a tennis racket and you want to show the flow of the movement?
    Continous light?

Photoshop?

Strobe lights?

Using SB800 repeat mode?

BC

so people buy color gel for what ah?to give that faint tinge of color to a white or black backdrop?
    it works on gray or black backdrop. or as long the background are not affect (lighted) by any other lights (key lights, kicker lights, hair lights)

for sion's shots, he didn't use any white light. and the other light are controlled, so you able to see blue color.

it works on gray or black backdrop. or as long the background are not affect (lighted) by any other lights (key lights, kicker lights, hair lights)

for sion's shots, he didn't use any white light. and the other light are controlled, so you able to see blue color.
    thanks, i'll try it when i have the time.
    sigh...
    back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Continous light?

Photoshop?

Strobe lights?

Using SB800 repeat mode?

BC
    guess i better start slow...

1)so am i right to assume if i shoot 200mm at 1/60 of a sec, and if my room is in near complete darkness save for a little window lights, i will not have blurred pics?

1) take a shoot using the same setting, without flash, see whether you able to see anything.

2) you can set your camera to rear sync
    set up a continuous light next to flash,
    the continuous light should be bright enough to give a same f stop or (one stop less) as flash in 1/4 sec (let say 1/4sec able to record the whole movement)
    the trick part is when you should release the shutter to be able to capture the flash freezing her hand at the right position at 1/4 sec later.
    some overlap body parts may overexpose, but is unavoidable.

1) take a shoot using the same setting, without flash, see whether you able to see anything.

2) you can set your camera to rear sync
    set up a continuous light next to flash,
    the continuous light should be bright enough to give a same f stop or (one stop less) as flash in 1/4 sec (let say 1/4sec able to record the whole movement)
    the trick part is when you should release the shutter to be able to capture the flash freezing her hand at the right position at 1/4 sec later.
    some overlap body parts may overexpose, but is unavoidable.
    the chromazones are interesting.thanks for highlighting the search.i will go home do more homework.

1)understood

2)the source of continuous light should be color temp similar to my flash?else the freezed motion and the sway motion will have diff color cast? i understand the technique liao.
    also, to my understanding, this must be done in a complete darkness room right?else the ambient light may be captured in 1/4sec.rite?

the chromazones are interesting.thanks for highlighting the search.i will go home do more homework.

1)understood

2)the source of continuous light should be color temp similar to my flash?else the freezed motion and the sway motion will have diff color cast? i understand the technique liao.
    also, to my understanding, this must be done in a complete darkness room right?else the ambient light may be captured in 1/4sec.rite?
    2) yes, miss out the color temp part, sorry.
    and not really complete darkness, you will able see the whole room with continuous light turn on, of course you need a black background for best effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    Well, branded lights also dun have resale value wat. Brand new broncolor lights costing 10k sell 2nd hand at 5k also nobody want.
    Are there any service back-up for this equipment?

Hi guys, i just managed to read all 25 pages.. in 3 hrs.. I'm also like jeanie.. I wanna setup a home studio.. But i got a smaller space.. maybe about 4X4m as backdrop.. space is rather small for me.. any suggestions.. or can i stick to what you guys said?

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1520232425262730 ... LastLast