Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 121720212223242732 ... LastLast

Thread: Home studio setup

Default Re: Home studio setup

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    thanks but i prefer studio strobes.more fun!
    Sure or not? Fun in transporting/setup huge lights, light modifiers, power supply and cables everytime you wanna take pic?

Maybe you can try renting a studio to see what you need if you still want studio lights.

Quote Originally Posted by plastickamera View Post
    Sure or not? Fun in transporting/setup huge lights, light modifiers, power supply and cables everytime you wanna take pic?

Maybe you can try renting a studio to see what you need if you still want studio lights.
    try start reading from post #1
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Yes the colour temp will be diff.

Bowens lights, especially the prolite series, are more warm and the lights are hursher ie: easier to get washed out highlight. A fair bit of studio lightings expericence is required to control the lights. It's a very good light to use for product shots. The pro series is also more lasting and can take some rough handling, very much like a work horse. I've got Bowens with slight dents on the housings and reflectors but the lights are working fine.

For Elinchrome, the lights are slightly cooler and the lights are softer which makes it easier to control and manage. If you're shooting more models than products shots, the Elinchrome will suit you better. With proper control, it can perform as well as the Bowen for product shots. Elinchrome are lighter and more compact but the brake down rate is higher than Bowen.
    i shoot mainly portraiture.though i may use it occasionally to shoot my watches and jewellery.so is bowens still suitable?
    i dont intend to get the high end range since i dont foresee myself playing with studio till i'm a old hag.

when u mention break down, what are u referring to?you mean studio lights will 'spoil' one ah?i tot only flash tube will kaput?

i shoot mainly portraiture.though i may use it occasionally to shoot my watches and jewellery.so is bowens still suitable?
    i dont intend to get the high end range since i dont foresee myself playing with studio till i'm a old hag.

when u mention break down, what are u referring to?you mean studio lights will 'spoil' one ah?i tot only flash tube will kaput?
    don't concern too much about the flash brake down, unless you always shoot at rapid fire and a heavy user.

just stick to any one of the brand is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    don't concern too much about the flash brake down, unless you always shoot at rapid fire and a heavy user.

just stick to any one of the brand is fine.
    i seriously can fire whole day.
    from morning 10am to 10pm.
    that's why i want a reliable brand.
    i was told jinbei wont fit my shooting needs as it will surely 101% kaput.
    (that's what i was told)

i seriously can fire whole day.
    from morning 10am to 10pm.
    that's why i want a reliable brand.
    i was told jinbei wont fit my shooting needs as it will surely 101% kaput.
    (that's what i was told)
    you don't need to brake, but your camera, light also need to take a brake lar

if like that sure got no brand can withstand your abuse, try use two lights for alternately shooting.

OK you also mention that you can fire whole day from 10 am to 10 pm ,

I would still suggest that you go for Elinchrome, easy to manage due to the softer lighting espically when you're shooting your jewellery and watches as this kind of product shoot tend to have issues with highlights control.

When catchlights mention about repid firing he meant frining very fast ie: a shot every 1to 2 sec. if you're not doing that than you should be fine. If you're using the lights, any brand of lights the whole day, the aircon must be cool enough or it will overheat.

Only flash tube will kaput? Studio flash also have flash tube what, the other thing which will go kaput will be the capacitor.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

you don't need to brake, but your camera, light also need to take a brake lar

if like that sure got no brand can withstand your abuse, try use two lights for alternately shooting.
    I think if shooting repid fire for the whole day, before the flash kaput, the model or the camera will give up first
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

portraits experts,

1)is it possible to shoot a full length highkey with just 2 lights?
    2)as above but with 2 subjects
    3)what about lowkey WITH subject isolation from background?i'm thinking 1 key, i kicker, but means i dont have enough for hair or fill right?

portraits experts,

3)what about lowkey WITH subject isolation from background?i'm thinking 1 key, i kicker, but means i dont have enough for hair or fill right?
    Use a reflector?

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Use a reflector?
    dunno lei.enough?

classic set up, four to five lights
    one key, one fill, one hair, one kicker (optional), one or two background.

three lights the best,
    one key, one fill, one back backgound.

two lights also can,
    one key, xtra big reflector (at least 4'x6') as fill, one backgound.

one lights also can, but you have to be the great master of light.

And a couple of decent off-the-shelf or home made reflectors. The usual stuff, styro foam, compressed foam, aluminum foil, and maybe a large mirror... you never know when mirrors can be very helpful for playing with light. Also, holders for all these and loads of black cloth to control the stray lights especially in a small, tight environment. Homes are bad for photography in a way, because the ceiling is low as compared to industrial estates. So it brings different problems.

yes, reflectors are very useful, I believe in big big one

simple, just paint the ceiling or the all the walls in black

portraits experts,

1) & 2) yes you can shoot with two lights for high keys
    try make full use of reflectors

3) one light also can, depend on what you want, mirror for kicker or hair light (depend on where is your key light set up), reflector for fill.

1) & 2) yes you can shoot with two lights for high keys
    try make full use of reflectors

3) one light also can, depend on what you want, mirror for kicker or hair light (depend on where is your key light set up), reflector for fill.
    thanks for reply.i'll try it over weekends.
    the thought of using mirrors didnt come across my mind.
    but since mirror is almost 100% reflection, i guess one must be a real expert to control the light spill.

thanks for reply.i'll try it over weekends.
    the thought of using mirrors didnt come across my mind.
    but since mirror is almost 100% reflection, i guess one must be a real expert to control the light spill.
    you are welcomed.

the mirror I'm talking is those acrylic sheet, people use it to make signboard type, please don't use glass mirror.

let say for a low key set up, you light the subject from the right, you can place the mirror the subject's left, slightly away from the camera, to throw some light back to the subject, so to create a kicker light, if you find it is too intense, can replace it with a sliver reflector.

you are welcomed.

the mirror I'm talking is those acrylic sheet, people use it to make signboard type, please don't use glass mirror.

let say for a low key set up, you light the subject from the right, you can place the mirror the subject's left, slightly away from the camera, to throw some light back to the subject, so to create a kicker light, if you find it is too intense, can replace it with a sliver reflector.
    oh, i tot using those glass mirror
    signboard type acrylic sheet?i cant visualise. where to get?
    i have 2 big round reflectors.should be sufficient?

i did try some low key last night.as my subject wore dark clothes, she blended into the black background.
    i think 2lights really aint sufficient.

oh, i tot using those glass mirror
    signboard type acrylic sheet?i cant visualise. where to get?
    i have 2 big round reflectors.should be sufficient?

i did try some low key last night.as my subject wore dark clothes, she blended into the black background.
    i think 2lights really aint sufficient.
    It is possible with even 1 light + reflector. Trying back lighting with a big reflector in front.

BC
    Last edited by Scaglietti; 23rd March 2007 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    It is possible with even 1 light + reflector. Trying back lighting with a big reflector in front.

BC
    ok.i'll try it over the weekends.

dunno lei.enough?
    Hahaha...there are already so many replies.. I have even used reflectors with just ambient light from the window. What do you think? Enough?

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 121720212223242732 ... LastLast