Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5891011121520 ... LastLast

Thread: Home studio setup

Default Re: Home studio setup

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    sometimes, home is the BEST office.if u tan jiak, all u need is to register your home as office what.so what's the diff?
    + u get all the luxuries at home.can idle, can sleep, can eat, watch TV, blast your 10k hifi, and when u're feeling hot....your wife just beside u.
    what more can u ask for?

haiyah...man.
    must have alot of discipline also. as for 10k hifi you going to donate a set for me.

me gotta go now.

dun be rude .he didnt ask for c&c.
    i've been feeling bad after my prev post.

canturn,i appreciate your effort in sharing your pic with me.i'm sorry if my comments to the pics are fit for lokang.
    nah, I'm cool with c&c , clients already paid so it's okay

Actually, there were some photos taken that I personally feel were way better, but my clients really liked this one, so I did the post-processing for just this one. When you do this for a living, you won't have time, to go post-process all and try to convince customer the other one is better.

Nowadays, when it comes to the photos, it's 90% clients' needs vs 10% mine.

i agree that u cant survive based on rental of studio.usually, these are just additional income for photographers who depends on their studio for a living?i dunno.and i'm not sure.so cant comment.

no sugar daddy, no rich daddy.me work.me earn.me money.me spend.simple equation.
    why do guys always think that when a gal is rich, or has cash to spare, it ALWAYS is because there's a rich guy behind her? can tell me why?sexist? generalisation?

i've only decided after some good comments from this thread, and from people who pm me good advices even without replying to this thread.
    these are the same people that warn me of airheads in CS, and i'm beginning to see the light.
    ROFL x10
    You're really some piece of work. If you read carefully you would "see" that what was said was if you care about yr hard earned cash - do this so that you can be sure the investment will be on some thing that is of use otherwise if money is so free as in "free" money ( there are sugar mummies too you know 8-) so its not a sexist remark) then wat does it matter ?
    Your Japan pic look ok - at least they are non snap shots - good place to start serious work on travel work. Not the end point by any measure. Base on some of your replies there is a disturbing low level of knowledge on how studio equipment works this may be a problem for you if you intend to "bend it like Beckham" from word go.
    Good luck in your search for answers and reconfirmations. I think there has been more than enough advice and offers to help you to give a sound body of facts to help you make a good decision if you can be rational and solid headed (ahhhmm non air headed if you must have it that way) about it. At the end of the day it is your money, your life so you do what you think is best for you.
    Cheers - if you do get the home studio up - 8-) how about an open house - for part 2 of the saga - how do I setup this or that ? (ala in spirt of how to shoot a wedding banquet)

Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    nah, I'm cool with c&c , clients already paid so it's okay

Actually, there were some photos taken that I personally feel were way better, but my clients really liked this one, so I did the post-processing for just this one. When you do this for a living, you won't have time, to go post-process all and try to convince customer the other one is better.

Nowadays, when it comes to the photos, it's 90% clients' needs vs 10% mine.
    i cant agree more.

sometimes, home is the BEST office.if u tan jiak, all u need is to register your home as office what.so what's the diff?
    + u get all the luxuries at home.can idle, can sleep, can eat, watch TV, blast your 10k hifi, and when u're feeling hot....your wife just beside u.
    what more can u ask for?

haiyah...man.

There is a diff, privacy is a big issue, trust me. My family is feeling it now, especially when you're meeting clients using home office.

Jeanie,
    after reading all 10 pages of this thread, I still think that you ought to get the cheaper (though proven) china brands. If after using them for a while, you do decide that studio photography is your cup of tea, then the expanse would be worth it.
    On the other hand, if you go out and buy the much more expansive ones to begin with and then decide to sell them for lack of interest, then I am sure the loses from these equipment would probably come close to the cost of the cheap brands anyhow.
    I guess its like hire purchase (though I don't do it myself). You go buy a big ticket item at hire purchase and decide after 2 months that you don't like it. You stop payment and let them repossess. Minor loss as compared to paying the entire amount and then make more loss trying to sell second hand. Not a very good example, I know, but can't think of a better one
    In the end, its simple maths, I think. ie. 1/2 of $500 more than 1/2 of $200. Of course if budget not a problem then can ignore above. But I don't think that's the case here

ok.thanks for your 2cents.
    i will decide and get by weekend.
    i cant wait to shoot studio.
    but first, must tidy up my room and measure my working space available.

Default Re: home studio setup

If is just try out and have fun, why not rent the light from someone?
    I think there is people doing stuido rental here right?

or assist in a studio shoot to learn more before you decide what you really need

Smile Re: Home studio setup

i think there are more than adequate inputs for this thread. my view is to do a course in studio or portrait photography where one is exposed to studio lights and accessories, etc. mental approach is hands-on.

yup.definitely lots of input and i appreciate it very much.

i've decided to get either elinchrome,bowens or multiblitz.

i say again.i'm a newbie.
    joining a studio shoot with absolutely clueless brain will make me blush and flush.not to mention i'm holding a d200.u guys know what i mean.there's always this "newbie hold d200 for f?" kind of mentality.i want to at least have some idea, play around the lights in the comfort of my own home, b4 i actually join you guys for shoots.
    i'll be honest.although i have a budget to play with, but it's not like that budget is very tight.i'm already ready to spend a few ks into photography.studio lights are just one of my xmas toys in the list.

keep the comments and advices coming(there are still unanswered questions) if you are guys are patient enuff to enlighten me.

Smile Re: Home studio setup

one joins a course with the intention to learn. nothing to be ashamed of. which camera one carry is inmaterial.

joining a studio shoot with absolutely clueless brain will make me blush and flush.not to mention i'm holding a d200.u guys know what i mean.there's always this "newbie hold d200 for f?" kind of mentality.i want to at least have some idea, play around the lights in the comfort of my own home, b4 i actually join you guys for shoots.
    i'll be honest.although i have a budget to play with, but it's not like that budget is very tight.i'm already ready to spend a few ks into photography.studio lights are just one of my xmas toys in the list.

keep the comments and advices coming(there are still unanswered questions) if you are guys are patient enuff to enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    one joins a course with the intention to learn. nothing to be ashamed of. which camera one carry is inmaterial.
    thanks.u are one of the exception i guess.

If you want to learn about Studio Lighting, can try taking courses at PSS. There is one coming up. Check the link here. The instructor Jane Chua is very nice and friendly and willing to share the knowledge. You can try asking her what is the setup for a home studio if you want to.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

I ever see ppl buy 1ds mk2 and then later ask "how come cannot look at lcd and shoot one huh?". These are the kind of ppl you feel like slapping. But if you are the kind who is really passionate about photography and is willing to plonk down a large sum of money right at the start, I don't see whats wrong with it. I guess you are siao on about photography rite, judging by how much time you spend on the forum
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    I ever see ppl buy 1ds mk2 and then later ask "how come cannot look at lcd and shoot one huh?". These are the kind of ppl you feel like slapping. But if you are the kind who is really passionate about photography and is willing to plonk down a large sum of money right at the start, I don't see whats wrong with it. I guess you are siao on about photography rite, judging by how much time you spend on the forum
    aren't we all?
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

thanks.u are one of the exception i guess.
    No jeanie. I think you got it the other way around.

If there are people who deride you because of your "newbie" status, and you using the D200, the problem is theirs, not yours.

Sensible instructors and people will not take offence at "newbies" with good cameras. Only idiots will take offence. And if so, why bother with these types?

In any case, while it is your decision to what you feel is right for yourself, I would seriously suggest that you take a course in studio photography, or even a "crash course" with one of the kind folks here (And pay them!).

You will then be better equipped to spend your money wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter View Post
    i spend time here cos i need answers.if i go home and check hor..i sure zzzz....
    and i usually reach home about 8+.how many hours does it leave me to surf the forum?
    multitasking bro.am doing work on another window.u think what?i really got SUGARDADDY is it?

slap me or spank me please.my first question when i buy the d200 is...can it take vidz?

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    No jeanie. I think you got it the other way around.

If there are people who deride you because of your "newbie" status, and you using the D200, the problem is theirs, not yours.

Sensible instructors and people will not take offence at "newbies" with good cameras. Only idiots will take offence. And if so, why bother with these types?

In any case, while it is your decision to what you feel is right for yourself, I would seriously suggest that you take a course in studio photography, or even a "crash course" with one of the kind folks here (And pay them!).

You will then be better equipped to spend your money wisely.
    u wont believe what comments i get when i once meetup people from another forum.
    'this car is yours?you sure u can handle it?'

PS:dun ask me what car i drive.i know that will be the next question.

u wont believe what comments i get when i once meetup people from another forum.
    'this car is yours?you sure u can handle it?'

PS:dun ask me what car i drive.i know that will be the next question.
    jeanie, as I said, the problems are theirs.

It only become your problem when you let these idiots' comments get into you.

Know who you are, and these nonsense are but inconsequential noises.

And no, I wll not ask what car you drive. It is inconsequential to me.

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    jeanie, as I said, the problems are theirs.

It only become your problem when you let these idiots' comments get into you.

Know who you are, and these nonsense are but inconsequential noises.

And no, I wll not ask what car you drive. It is inconsequential to me.
    thanks for the encouragement student.i'll always remember it.

Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5891011121520 ... LastLast