Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advise on dry cabinet

Default Re: Need advise on dry cabinet

Hi .. I find this info very useful.. This is from Digi Cabi FAQ..

FAQ

What is a Dry Cabinet?
    A Dry Cabinet is a storage cabinet which protect objects from problems cause by humidity.
    Why do you need to keep your photography equipment away from mold?
    Fungus can grow on the surfaces inside your lens, providing there is enough moisture (and a bit of dust or lens adhesive to "eat"). Over time, the fugus can etch into the surface of the glass, causing permanent damage to the lens performance. The etched spots in the lens glass alter the lens surface and characteristics, reducing performance significantly and contrast in particular. A Fungus attack which hasn't altered the lens shape or etched into the glass, but only eaten away at the very thin outer lens anti-flare coating, is less damaging to lens performance. Once the lens coatings and surface are etched and damaged, removing the fugus won't return the lens to original performance levels. You have to replace the damaged lens elements, which is usually so expensive it is cheaper to just junk the lens.
    Why can't fungus be cleaned?
    While fungus can be removed during a lens CLA (clean/lube/adjust), the damaged and etched lens elements may costly to replace. Not every fungus spore will be removed during even the most thorough cleaning. Even if you sterilized the lens elements (not recommended), fungus spores would still be sucked into the lens during focusing and use. Many people warn against using leather lens carrying cases or bags as a potent source of fungus infection.
    But there are enough fungus spores in the air (often hundredsper cubic meter) that lenses are easily infected in general use. So since you can't get rid of fungus spores, you simply have to make your lens an inhospitable "desert" in which fungus can't live or grow.
    What can i store inside DigiCabi Dry Cabinet?
    40%RH -50%RH
    Video camera, camera, lens, microscope, telescope, negative, tape, video, slide, microfilm, various optic products, CD, VCD, LD, various hi-fi stereo, computer products, books, ancient paintings, paper coins, stamps, works of art.......etc
    30%RH-40%RH
    Precise metal material, electronic, pottery and porcelain, semiconductor, PCB, indicator, various percise instrument, metallurgic and music instrument, clothes, leather, gold and silver, various treasure collectors.
    Under 30%RH
    Chinese medicines, tea leaves, seeds, spices, pollen, medicines, metallurgy, power material, chemical raw material
    Why do i need DigiCabi Dry Cabinet in Singapore?
    Singapore and most South-East Asia region countries fallsbetween 70%RH-90%RH. Mold is not prevented as air-conditioners and dehumidifiers usually cannot reduce RH below 60%. So the real solution to prevent fungus attack is to reduce the available moisture, so the fungus cannot grow and multiply.
    How DigiCabi Thermo-Electronic Cooling system works?
    The AD Series and DHC Series uses T.E.Cooling regrigerated crystal which is a semiconductor crystal for absorbing the moisture of the cabinet interior air. Whenever the humidity of the cabinet is higher than the set RH% value, the Cooling regrigerated crystal will start to refrigerate and condense the moisture until the humidity of the cabinet is down to the set RH% value. Once crystal stops working, it begins to defrost as well as evaporate the moisture out of the cabinet.
    Is the power consumption high?
    In comparision with similar products, the efficient rate of our dehumidifiers is 10 times faster but the power consumption is only 1/10 of those.

Will the DB-036 (30l,2 trays) be sufficient for these :

D80
    17-55
    12-24
    SB800
    70-300 VR

Account Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Will the DB-036 (30l,2 trays) be sufficient for these :

D80
    17-55
    12-24
    SB800
    70-300 VR
    Nope.

Definitely too small. You'd probably wanna consider the DHC-80 instead or at least a DHC-60.

Quote Originally Posted by wazzup View Post
    Nope.

Definitely too small. You'd probably wanna consider the DHC-80 instead or at least a DHC-60.
    I put a D70s, 70-200 vr, 18-70, 1.7 teleconverter, 1 x SB800, 1 x binoculars, 1 x instax mini camera, 1 x gillette shaver, 3 x instruction manual, 1 x wireless remote control, 2 x filters. All inside the digi cabi 30 litres. And i still got a lot of space inside, i can easily put another 70-200vr inside

D80, 17-55, 12-24, SB800, 70-300 VR is a piece of cake to put inside
    Last edited by kcuf2; 2nd February 2007 at 01:29 AM.
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

I have a DHC80 and it's perfect for putting in many items.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2 View Post
    I put a D70s, 70-200 vr, 18-70, 1.7 teleconverter, 1 x SB800, 1 x binoculars, 1 x instax mini camera, 1 x gillette shaver, 3 x instruction manual, 1 x wireless remote control, 2 x filters. All inside the digi cabi 30 litres. And i still got a lot of space inside, i can easily put another 70-200vr inside

D80, 17-55, 12-24, SB800, 70-300 VR is a piece of cake to put inside
    wow!! cool!!! sounds impossible but if u can do it, I'll try my best... wud it be too much to ask for a pic of ur loaded cabi?

btw, how often do u shave?

I just bought a Digihub dry cabinet 30 litre. Bought it from Carrefour and got a dry box free Keeping a D70, 18-70 and 70-300 inside. And still gt space in the top shelf. The bottom shelf by the way is utterly empty except for the warranty

So, choose a cabinet based on the kit you have and allow a bit for future expansion in case the BBB virus strikes, which it eventually will.

As for me, I'm happy with the one I have.
    Come visit my Flickr :)

My AD-060 nearly no space liao cos other than my equipment, i also stuff chargers, cases, omnibounce, lightsphere and batteries.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    My AD-060 nearly no space liao cos other than my equipment, i also stuff chargers, cases, omnibounce, lightsphere and batteries.
    Hmm... U need to get another dry cabinet then.. can put it on top...

Quote Originally Posted by dharma View Post
    Hmm... U need to get another dry cabinet then.. can put it on top...
    No need lah, it's enough for me. I just have another 70-200 to add in.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

IMO, I wouldn't over crowd the cabinet.

Overcrowding would hinder the moisture within to be effectively distrubuted, dissapated and reduced by the dehumidifying unit of the cabinet. This reduces the effeciency of the cabinet. Being able to pay so much for such high-end equipment, what's another $100+ more for a 60L or 80L cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    IMO, I wouldn't over crowd the cabinet.

Overcrowding would hinder the moisture within to be effectively distrubuted, dissapated and reduced by the dehumidifying unit of the cabinet. This reduces the effeciency of the cabinet. Being able to pay so much for such high-end equipment, what's another $100+ more for a 60L or 80L cabinet.
    So far mine's still ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    So far mine's still ok.
    If you say so. You are the best person to judge your cabinet and how much is too much.

Hi
    From another complete Newbie. I live in Belgium In what is possibly the similar climate to England where i moved from. Being new to Cameras i had never heard of a special Cabinet to keep the Camera and lens in a complete suprise. I had intended to keep the Camera and Lens in a Oak Cabinent in my front Room it has double front Glass Doors. Is this okay, or do i need to look into this Dry Cabinet you Guys talk about. I get my first Camera next Wednsday. Thanks for any help and at 66 years old and my first Camera, I sure do need any help i can get
    Dreadlock

Quote Originally Posted by dreadlock View Post
    Hi
    From another complete Newbie. I live in Belgium In what is possibly the similar climate to England where i moved from. Being new to Cameras i had never heard of a special Cabinet to keep the Camera and lens in a complete suprise. I had intended to keep the Camera and Lens in a Oak Cabinent in my front Room it has double front Glass Doors. Is this okay, or do i need to look into this Dry Cabinet you Guys talk about. I get my first Camera next Wednsday. Thanks for any help and at 66 years old and my first Camera, I sure do need any help i can get
    Dreadlock
    Don't think you need to worry because conditions in Singapore (the tropics) means high relative humidity, something I don't believe you'll encounter in Europe. So a humidifier is certainly needed here to fend fungus growth on lenses.

yup! no worries, dude... My friend in Perth never worry about getting a dry cabi there... just put it in a clean cardboard will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by miniUltraman View Post
    yup! no worries, dude... My friend in Perth never worry about getting a dry cabi there... just put it in a clean cardboard will be fine
    Ya, reminds me of the time I was in Melbourne, where the %RH is around 45%. Never worry of my gear growing fungus.

Singapore different mah, with RH usually around 90%, cos we're near the equator.

Quote Originally Posted by ipin View Post
    If you say so. You are the best person to judge your cabinet and how much is too much.
    Yeah man, my trusty cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyks View Post
    I just bought a Digihub dry cabinet 30 litre. Bought it from Carrefour and got a dry box free Keeping a D70, 18-70 and 70-300 inside. And still gt space in the top shelf. The bottom shelf by the way is utterly empty except for the warranty

So, choose a cabinet based on the kit you have and allow a bit for future expansion in case the BBB virus strikes, which it eventually will.

As for me, I'm happy with the one I have.
    hi there.... how much did u buy ur Digihub dry cabinet for??
    and from which Carrefour??
    wanna get one too by this weekend.
    thanks in advance....

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast