Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: APERTURE users come in!!

Account Suspended

Default Re: APERTURE users come in!!

Aperture flies off my MacBook Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    hi wesley, thanx for ur advise, where's this darren soh from may i ask?
    No probs, he's a pro photographer who has been using Aperture from the beginning. Try "darren soh" on google, you should be able to find more info about him. His email address is on his site. :-)

Wes
    Last edited by wesley; 6th November 2006 at 09:54 PM.

Why don't you guys try out Raw Developer? it costs only USD 99.95 and rivals C1 Phase One!

Site: http://www.iridientdigital.com/produ...developer.html

Hong Sien

Oooops! Sorry! An oversight, this thread was only for Aperture users.........solly ah!

HS

hi wes, thanx, i've found him and emailed him.

hongsien, no probs, i'm still looking for options. went thru the link you provided, and also contacted them on some questions i have, again, about those hotkeys!!

i CANNOT live with a convertor that doesn't allow me to modify EV WB and contrast with keyboard. without these shortcut keys, i calcuate that my workflow will be at least 3 - 4 times slower.

so far, i've used bibble and capture one, both satisfy that requirement, capture one being my choice convertor.

one thing i like about aperture is the full resolution loupe. capture one only displays a zoom in of a small size composite, which is no use.

i just realised this thread is in kopitiam.. hmm i thought i opened it in digital darkroom? hmm.. anywayz.. if any mod sees this, perhaps they can help me move it there, thanx.

one thing i like about aperture is the full resolution loupe. capture one only displays a zoom in of a small size composite, which is no use.
    Hi!

You know, I found that was a shortcoming coz it was slow in rendering the zoomed up portion, found it hard to check for absolute sharpness in the eyes. I switched from a Sony 19" CRT to the 20" Apple Cinema Display last year and found it easier to see sharpness coz the hardware sharpening algorithm on the screen was good enough to guesstimate sharpness without using the zoom for 99% of the time. I am guessing that if you can use a 23" or 30" monitor, CaptureOne can output a screen jpg that will allow you to check sharpness the entire pix without zooming in. That'll be a great timesaver.

Also, I think the loupe function in Aperture uses lots of GPU power on the video card coz it's suppose to be real time. I think Terence (one of the guys in the forum with Mr Sanguine as blogsite) has a 30" ACD, you might want to ask how it feels like with checking image sharpness.

Btw, you're right, the keyboard shortcuts are really killer moves in saving time for large quantities of files.

This is off topic but just an FYI, I am getting 11+ sec for RAW conversion for the 1Ds 11MP files with the latest CaptureOne with AMDx2 4400+. But if you're hardcore Mac guy, then I'll stop my feeble attempt to convert you. :-)

Best regards
    Wesley

Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    Btw, you're right, the keyboard shortcuts are really killer moves in saving time for large quantities of files.
    And also for gaming too!

Sorry getting OT liao

Hi Joho,

Have you considered getting the Eizo CG series of LCDs? Just curious to see what your thoughts are on them.

Cheers

hi wesley,

before i forget and hope it's not too late, your reputation precedes your name! a great photographer but relatively low profile here on CS. lovely work u got there!

no i'm not a hardcore mac user, actually i am a pc user that has never used a mac extensively! but i like the mac pros, becos for the specs, it's actually "cheap", compared to say the dell workstation of similar specs. (woodcrest processors, ecc rams basically) - not sure if macs can run scsi, but i won't anyway, wayyyy too ex.

not sure wat u meant by the capture one being able to display the image to see if it's sharp enuff, i just wish that it had a function where it can me the resized composite bigger. on my 24" @ 1920x1200 pixels, my 10mp d200 file is displayed as a 968x648px composite. so even if i had 4 screens (2x2) i would still be viewing the file at the size, no point having bigger real estate is there? when i was using the d2hs, the image was even smaller!

capture one does have a "loupe" but still it's not a full resolution loupe. the right click just zooms in on the composite and tells u the rgb values that's it. not good enuff for me to check sharpness sometimes.

yes i would agree that GPU is taxed when using the loupe in aperture, that's one of the reasons why i would be running two graphics cards (one for each display) instead of just the one card. (2x24 can fit on one card, which is the set up i'm using, for 2x30, no choice have to use 2 cards or upgrade to the x1900, which apparently has problems with dell displays, but that's OT).

my 10mp raws (compressed NEF) take about 14s to convert on my pentium d 940 (dual core 3.2ghz) so that's a pretty good timing for me as it is. thing is, i can get the mac pro and run windows on it, and it will still be cheaper than getting a dell workstation with those specs! ahahha.. but since it's a mac, i wanna explore my options with "mac only" software, like... aperture.

so far, i think aperture really suits the "shoot many but choose a few of the best to deliver" type photographer, rather than the "shoot many, and MOST of them have to be processed" type photographer like well, a wedding/event shooter.

i asked in the mac forum about the hotkeys and more or less there aren't for the basic edits like ev and wb, wat a shame, so easy to implement yet not there. i have no idea how to script hot keys and what not, heck i dun even know how to really use a mac, so this is bad news for me.

indeed, the hotkeys are PARAMOUNT to my work....

hi VR man,

never tried those, heard of them only. not even really sure what they are capable of, but i'm sure i can't afford them ahahha.. honestly i dunno much, so no opinions from me there. i'm pretty happy with my dells for the moment, i'm getting good delta e's (averaging less than 1) from my profiler as they are still relatively new.

i'm not expert on all these things.. still trudging thru all the info when actually.. all i wanna do is to produce great images. digital photography is NOT easy huh?

hi wesley,

before i forget and hope it's not too late, your reputation precedes your name! a great photographer but relatively low profile here on CS. lovely work u got there!

no i'm not a hardcore mac user, actually i am a pc user that has never used a mac extensively! but i like the mac pros, becos for the specs, it's actually "cheap", compared to say the dell workstation of similar specs. (woodcrest processors, ecc rams basically) - not sure if macs can run scsi, but i won't anyway, wayyyy too ex.
    Hello Joho, thank you for your kind compliment. But you do know that no art is truly original right? We all copy from others that inspire us. :-)

About the comparison between the Dell workstation and Apple MacPros, you are certainly right about the pricing. It's very close indeed. About SCSI, I am not sure that there are still devices like HDD arrays running for desktop use. If I am not wrong, SCSI drives are still in production but most commercial photogs have switched to external SATA HDD Raid enclosures.

Another thing, Macs can run Windows XP natively with Bootcamp but I've read that MacPros run Windows REALLY slow due to hard disk input/output issues. Again, you might want to read up on Bootcamp, I have considered using Macbook Pros coz of licensing with Photoshop and Macromedia Suite.

not sure wat u meant by the capture one being able to display the image to see if it's sharp enuff, i just wish that it had a function where it can me the resized composite bigger. on my 24" @ 1920x1200 pixels, my 10mp d200 file is displayed as a 968x648px composite. so even if i had 4 screens (2x2) i would still be viewing the file at the size, no point having bigger real estate is there? when i was using the d2hs, the image was even smaller!

capture one does have a "loupe" but still it's not a full resolution loupe. the right click just zooms in on the composite and tells u the rgb values that's it. not good enuff for me to check sharpness sometimes.
    There is a function tab where you can check sharpness in a small window on the top right, where you can select sharpening options. What I mean is that for people shots, usually the eyes needs to be really sharp. I feel that the jpeg comp is good enough on the Apple 20" for me to check sharpness. Yeah, the loupe in C1 is for color values only, not for sharpness checking.

i asked in the mac forum about the hotkeys and more or less there aren't for the basic edits like ev and wb, wat a shame, so easy to implement yet not there. i have no idea how to script hot keys and what not, heck i dun even know how to really use a mac, so this is bad news for me.

indeed, the hotkeys are PARAMOUNT to my work....
    For the business, we've already learned that time saved = better deadlines = faster cash, so every shortcut key and Ghz cycle counts. I strongly suggest that you test drive a MacPro to do actual testing with Aperture, then you will know for sure.

I feel that the Mac OS is easier overall to use coz you don't have to tech knowledge to tune the hardware/software. I am quite surprised that Aperture doesn't have hotkeys though, it's touted to be a serious RAW processing software. But I am sure that in the next few versions, it should mature and become more robust. Then again, so will CaptureOne. :-)

This might be a bit off topic, but I am reading up about getting Mac OS to run on Intel/AMD PCs. Apparently it works but requires a bit of tinkering. If I can get it to run FinalCut Pro (my wife does short films), then I will not need to get a MacPro for serious video editing.

All the best in your quest for the best machine. I got a brand new machine last year September after 3 good years with the AMD 2200+ from 2002. Did about a month of research (Macs & PCs again) and still ended up with a PC (AMDx2 coz the Intel Duo Cores were not out yet). No regrets and best of all, BF2 rocks on it. ;-)

Kind regards
    Wesley
    Last edited by wesley; 7th November 2006 at 08:42 AM.

hey jon. here's aperture quick reference which lists all the hotkeys.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Ape..._Reference.pdf

i'm not expert on all these things.. still trudging thru all the info when actually.. all i wanna do is to produce great images. digital photography is NOT easy huh?
    same here

There is more to digital photography than meets the eye.

Digital photographers have to provide and do much more than before the film days and yet the $ returns have not really increased, in fact for a lot it has dropped!

Okay getting OT liao

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    hey jon. here's aperture quick reference which lists all the hotkeys.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Ape..._Reference.pdf
    yo bro thanx man, i found this already b4 opening this thread, and well.. it doesn't have wat i want.

Account Suspended

Bbb Mtl!

yo wesley,

well, u're right about getting inspired from other people!

regarding the hdd input/output problem, i did a quick search and it SEEMS that macs are running well under windows:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/04/firs...arks/index.php

altho this news is at least 6 months old.

another even more interesting link:

http://www.barefeats.com/bootcamp.html

scroll down and see how photoshop performs on xp and on osx on the same mac machine... quite an astounding difference... are these online tests accurate? or am i missing some fine print? i guess for photoshop, it's not native to the mac yet, maybe that's why the results are like that, but still, that's alot of difference....

oh yes, for c1, the window under the "focus" tab is 100% view, i forgot about that! thanx for the reminder ahhah, somemore the window can be quite big, not as good as the loupe but good enuff.

perhaps i might have to run c1 on xp on my macpro should i get one, then when aperture becomes better, i would buy it. as i said i CANNOT live without those hotkeys... sigh.

never really tried AMD leh.. been an intel man all my life. u swear by it?

Account Suspended

Intel Sux0Rs! Get AMD.

yo wesley,

well, u're right about getting inspired from other people!

regarding the hdd input/output problem, i did a quick search and it SEEMS that macs are running well under windows:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/04/firs...arks/index.php

altho this news is at least 6 months old.
    The results are for the Macbook Pro, not the Mac Pro. This link will give you some info:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=223679

Or try "macpro xp slow" on google.

another even more interesting link:

http://www.barefeats.com/bootcamp.html

scroll down and see how photoshop performs on xp and on osx on the same mac machine... quite an astounding difference... are these online tests accurate? or am i missing some fine print? i guess for photoshop, it's not native to the mac yet, maybe that's why the results are like that, but still, that's alot of difference....
    Yes, the results are very accurate. Barefeats is not pro PC nor Mac. CS2 is not native to Intel Macs yet, that's why the old quad G5s still beat the Intel MacPro on CS2. CS3 (intel native) will be out next year.

oh yes, for c1, the window under the "focus" tab is 100% view, i forgot about that! thanx for the reminder ahhah, somemore the window can be quite big, not as good as the loupe but good enuff.

perhaps i might have to run c1 on xp on my macpro should i get one, then when aperture becomes better, i would buy it. as i said i CANNOT live without those hotkeys... sigh.
    OR you can download C1 Pro for Mac and see how it runs, I am not sure if it's coded for Intel Macs yet. The MacPro/XP slowness issue is not 100% resolved yet. Bootcamp is still offically beta. It's your call. Btw, I tried and hated CaptureOne on Powerbook G4, slowness.

never really tried AMD leh.. been an intel man all my life. u swear by it?
    AMD dual cores have low heat and power usage compared to the new Intel dual cores. But do read up anandtech or tomshardware for more info. My opinion is that for RAW processing, just buy the absolute *fastest* chip you can afford. The only caveat going the PC way is your max ram on a non-server motherboard is 4GB, anymore than that XP can't read. The fastest last year was AMD and the price of the 4400+ was really high but it's 70% cheaper now coz the Intel speeds are faster on benchmarks.

That said, AMD had certain issues with some games coz of the XP/Dual Core issue. But it's been more or less resolved. I have heard lots of good things with Intel Core Duo, it's a race and both companies are leapfrogging, buy the machine when you need it. Btw, the Intel Quad Core chip will be out soon (can't confirm the date) and apparently encoding software (like image and video proc) will make good use of the extra cores. Your call again but I like the fact that Intel has the quad in production whereas AMD's is nowhere to be seen.

Best regards
    Wesley
    Last edited by wesley; 10th July 2007 at 02:03 PM.

wah getting to technical for me man...

anyway lucky i'm still good on my current set up with c1pro... i guess i will take my time to figure it out, and wait for further developments, maybe boot camp will get better, maybe cs3 will be announced sooner, or maybe i lose my index finger and quit photography..

ahha ok maybe not the last one.

thanx wes, for all your valuable advise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12