Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying my first piano ...

Default Re: Buying my first piano ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kagari View Post
    sighs i admit the feel of a clarinova and the feel of a actualy piano is like worlds apart.... lol well i am a casual player [i mean piano player lah] so to me clarinova does do wonders *another shameless plug*
    haha....i know the feeling. mine is an even more basic digital piano, a yamaha p70. but it's cheap ($1k new), and compact! sounds reasonably good enough for me.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

talk about Steinway... you should have seen Clubsnap folks putting their drinks and food on a 7 foot steinway in Marina Mandarin hotel lobby.

Happened during the Leica product launch btw, hotel manager had to go shoo tell people to remove their glasses and plates from the piano. Sigh.

Robert Piano at mellinia walk do stock the the steinway
    I recommend u try out robert piano at mellinia walk. Alot of piano there. I got my Toyama Grand there. Try Samick or Kawai. For same price range, i find them more value for money than yamaha's.

Also try this shop called the Piano Passion in erm where is that Penisullar plaza? u noe the building where luther music is? They sell second hand piano. They guy there i think is called william soh, he plays the piano in swissotel.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    talk about Steinway... you should have seen Clubsnap folks putting their drinks and food on a 7 foot steinway in Marina Mandarin hotel lobby.

Happened during the Leica product launch btw, hotel manager had to go shoo tell people to remove their glasses and plates from the piano. Sigh.
    sad case
    Chanxj

Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post

haha. you should see the steinway in ACS(I) boarding school. they drilled a lock into it.

and that's not the main thing, after that, some students forcefully pryed the cover opened, and the whole length of wooden spine got totally ripped out. sigh.... but they can always buy another though. *green with envy*

Quote Originally Posted by Hilarion View Post
    Brands such as Samick, Kawai or Yamaha, you really cannot go far wrong. As a music teacher and principal of a music school before, I feel that touch is rather important and I am certainly not for the China piano's touch. There is no such thing as an examination piano. They are all hype to enhance their sales. Companies such as Robert Piano and Yamaha should be pretty safe. The other thing is, you got to be careful of re-contioned pianos that passes off as a 5-year old piano which may actually be at least 15-20 years old. They do look good from the outside but again, unless you know how to see, the hammerhead felts and other stuff may already been worn or harden, rusted strings that had been restored, termites/woodworms etc.... so do be careful when buying refurbished pianos.

Thanks bro.

Exam piano ... those guys say the taller one ... better sound ... blah blah blah !
    Last edited by catseye; 7th November 2006 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chanxj View Post
    Robert Piano at mellinia walk do stock the the steinway
    I recommend u try out robert piano at mellinia walk. Alot of piano there. I got my Toyama Grand there. Try Samick or Kawai. For same price range, i find them more value for money than yamaha's.

Also try this shop called the Piano Passion in erm where is that Penisullar plaza? u noe the building where luther music is? They sell second hand piano. They guy there i think is called william soh, he plays the piano in swissotel.

chanxj .... thanks!

ah cool lets all go have an outing for piano enthusiactic people

i like going to yahama @ PS cos can play their piano for free.... lol and act as if i want to buy one.... well i would buy one but then piano = piano, clari = many instruments... that the on;ly thing that keeps me from getting a grand piano or a upright one *sighs*
    i am not a GUY... erm ya...

Robert Piano.

When my daughters started piano, Robert recommended a used China one, he reconditioned it himself and sold to us for $1200. It was 5 years ago. My daughter just passed Grade 5 on that piece of "crap" and now she tells me there is a difference between the one at home, the one at her teacher's place, the one at the exam, and the grand piano on display at Robert's place. This December, I am getting a "tall" Yamaha for her.

So, my advice is get the "value for money" ones first. When the kids can tell the difference, upgrade. I am really grateful to Robert.

Note: Make sure you tune it frequently. Robert comes personally, if not he send someone.

Oh yes, when I sell that "crap", Robert tells me he will take it as trade in for $800! I m sure he's kidding, but I say "like that also can" ??
    Last edited by Caspere; 8th November 2006 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    Robert Piano.

When my daughters started piano, Robert recommended a used China one, he reconditioned it himself and sold to us for $1200. It was 5 years ago. My daughter just passed Grade 5 on that piece of "crap" and now she tells me there is a difference between the one at home, the one at her teacher's place, the one at the exam, and the grand piano on display at Robert's place. This December, I am getting a "tall" Yamaha for her.

So, my advice is get the "value for money" ones first. When the kids can tell the difference, upgrade. I am really grateful to Robert.

Note: Make sure you tune it frequently. Robert comes personally, if not he send someone.

Oh yes, when I sell that "crap", Robert tells me he will take it as trade in for $800! I m sure he's kidding, but I say "like that also can" ??
    When u trade in, he makes money when u buy another piano from him(btw his margin very high one. I got a 10k+ discount from my list price 20k++ grand ). Alot of trade in pianos go into kawai music school so we students there( i was one) get to play on crap
    Chanxj

well second hands are ok as long as u dun mind for me i like to own a grand piano first hand [ok i am dreaming lol]

caspere, chanxj .... thanks! Looks like it's Yamaha and Robert showrooms this weekend!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagari View Post
    well second hands are ok as long as u dun mind for me i like to own a grand piano first hand [ok i am dreaming lol]

Kagari ... me dreaming of one too

lol grand pianos are so nicee.... *gushes about them*

now i regret not taking piano classes seriously... hmmm any adult good piano schs to recomend?? lol

Hmm if i not wrong u willing to pay, anywhere can learn including yamaha and kawai(robert piano).
    Chanxj

is kawai a good brand?? i think my father bought it for me 10 years a go only about rp12millions (S$2000), dunno which model..

i remember when i used to make the sound of prank prank prank with that piano, since i was only 6 years old..

Guys ... thanks for visiting and all the very good advice.

Visited Yamaha last night ...

"May" settle for the Made in Japan M112. This goes for about $5600. (A sale is now on at Yamaha until 31 Dec 2006)

The U1 is pretty stiff at about $7K (Indo) and $10K (Jpn).

The sales guy recommended me to get the Japan make one for a better resale value. He also mentioned the quality of the M112 is very close to the Japan U1.

Will visit Robert Piano later today on the way to the Motorshow. Still playing with the idea of getting a reasonable 2nd hand Yamaha or Kawai to start off first.

Cheers.

get a synth man.

Quote Originally Posted by pingo View Post
    get a synth man.
    the touch is different. The Key point is that his daughter learning the piano thus synth dun meet requirement. But never the less a synth would be good if learning keyboard or doing music sequencing
    Chanxj

Guys ...

Thanks to all for the great tips! Had not expected such great advice in a photography forum.

Based on your advices and my budget, finally settled on a Kawai from Robert Piano.

Cheers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast