Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying my first piano ...

Default Re: Buying my first piano ...

hello, unless you're getting the ones over 15k, i will never consider yamaha because the tones are kinda muffled, i'm not sure you know what i mean. but that's just a personal preference..

personally i use a 2nd hand standing richard meyer one (the higher type, it's german+korean brand, sorry don't know much, but it works fine for me), been using it for about 10 years, when i bought it it was about 4-5 years old and cost about 2k. for this sound quality it'd probably cost about 10k on yamaha's side. anyway i think 2nd hand is good. i bought mine at a shop at katong along tanjong katong rd i think. but sorry it was so many years ago,i can't remember the name. T_T

I'm not a pianist, but i do play the piano a bit.
    I personally don't like digital pianos.
    Even a crappy acoustic piano beats a good digital piano..unless...the digital piano is really a high-end one
    just my 2cents

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    last piece of advice: if you want to really make that piano reall worth it, go learn it, it is fun and enriching, also can be used as a destressing tool by playing some russian piece.
    that's what I hope to do as well ... hopefully not too old to do it!

Guys .... thanks for all the very detail tips and advice. I appreciate it. I will be checking out the Yamahas over the weekend then.

Cheers!

Always thinking, isn't it a bit hrm... risky to start off with a very ex piano just to figure you don't like playing piano let's say after 1 yr? The depreciation of piano is almost the same as a car.

Quote Originally Posted by togu View Post
    Always thinking, isn't it a bit hrm... risky to start off with a very ex piano just to figure you don't like playing piano let's say after 1 yr? The depreciation of piano is almost the same as a car.
    it is. so it is always better to play safe first by buying 2nd hand medium grade pianos as a start. If his girl decides to continue, the piano can still be sold in order to get a better one. The loss is much lower than getting an expensive one then stopping piano halfway.

And about the depriciation of pianos...... it depends. Very very luxurious brands like Steinway and Sons grand piano actually appreciates in price. Some people even buy them as an investment. A Steinway grand is never cheaper than 6 digits is US dollars.
    Last edited by satay16; 7th November 2006 at 09:57 AM.

6 digits for a piano...

Any recommendation on where to get a good 2nd hand piano? Ideally 1 that take instalments.

Quote Originally Posted by togu View Post
    6 digits for a piano...

Any recommendation on where to get a good 2nd hand piano? Ideally 1 that take instalments.

not quite sure about that. but i believe classified ads is quite a nice place to find. there's also this small popular piano shop in thomson plaza called "Chiu Piano". He sells quite a wide variety of pianos and prices are the best i've seen. the boss is quite a friendly guy too, i often go to him for advice on both pianos and musical stuffs.

well for me i think a clarinova is good has alot of instruments

then again is ur daughter interested in going for the exams and stuff?? if she juz want something casual i would say clarinova *shameless plug for my yahama clarinova...* enjoy the music of life
    i am not a GUY... erm ya...

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    not quite sure about that. but i believe classified ads is quite a nice place to find. there's also this small popular piano shop in thomson plaza called "Chiu Piano". He sells quite a wide variety of pianos and prices are the best i've seen. the boss is quite a friendly guy too, i often go to him for advice on both pianos and musical stuffs.

Thanks again satay and togu ....

Last weekend, I checked out the classifieds and visited the Cristofori 2nd Hand showroom in Changi. I thot they have a good selection of 2nd hand pianos.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagari View Post
    well for me i think a clarinova is good has alot of instruments

then again is ur daughter interested in going for the exams and stuff?? if she juz want something casual i would say clarinova *shameless plug for my yahama clarinova...* enjoy the music of life

Hi ... thanks for the tip ... well, it's still early days yet for her. But of course would like her to go as far as she would like to

Cheers!

Brands such as Samick, Kawai or Yamaha, you really cannot go far wrong. As a music teacher and principal of a music school before, I feel that touch is rather important and I am certainly not for the China piano's touch. There is no such thing as an examination piano. They are all hype to enhance their sales. Companies such as Robert Piano and Yamaha should be pretty safe. The other thing is, you got to be careful of re-contioned pianos that passes off as a 5-year old piano which may actually be at least 15-20 years old. They do look good from the outside but again, unless you know how to see, the hammerhead felts and other stuff may already been worn or harden, rusted strings that had been restored, termites/woodworms etc.... so do be careful when buying refurbished pianos.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilarion View Post
    Brands such as Samick, Kawai or Yamaha, you really cannot go far wrong. As a music teacher and principal of a music school before, I feel that touch is rather important and I am certainly not for the China piano's touch. There is no such thing as an examination piano. They are all hype to enhance their sales. Companies such as Robert Piano and Yamaha should be pretty safe. The other thing is, you got to be careful of re-contioned pianos that passes off as a 5-year old piano which may actually be at least 15-20 years old. They do look good from the outside but again, unless you know how to see, the hammerhead felts and other stuff may already been worn or harden, rusted strings that had been restored, termites/woodworms etc.... so do be careful when buying refurbished pianos.
    yeah. sometimes i do wonder how they actually catergorize a piano as an "exam model".

after touching & hearing a Steinway D, Bosendorfer, it is quite difficult to look back

Quote Originally Posted by GmbH. View Post
    after touching & hearing a Steinway D, Bosendorfer, it is quite difficult to look back
    erm.........you better look back, force yourself.

well i love the feel of a yamaha grand piano but then the price is like............

sighs the last i check there was a TRANSPARENT grand piano [i was watch channel 8 drama lahz....] i wonder is that plastic casing or wat? :P

sighs i admit the feel of a clarinova and the feel of a actualy piano is like worlds apart.... lol well i am a casual player [i mean piano player lah] so to me clarinova does do wonders *another shameless plug*

Actually I'm considering between a electric organ or piano. I play organ, wifey play piano. Since she's having a higher grade, piano is first choice. Hrm.. perhaps get a digital piano then.

Quote Originally Posted by GmbH. View Post
    Ya, especially after a 9-footer grand...
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Ya, especially after a 9-footer grand...
    niceeee....

er, they dun seem to have it here in the showrooms?? [or do they]

Quote Originally Posted by Kagari View Post
    niceeee....

er, they dun seem to have it here in the showrooms?? [or do they]
    I dont think showroom wants to put one here ...
    if you know anyone who has "performing standard", get him/her to contact me and I bring him to go play play with this...
    always the Light, .... always.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast