Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Comments please

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Telok Blangah Area
    Posts
    63

    Default Comments please

    Hi there,

    Comments from anyone is greatly appreciated, especially in helping me learn more about photography and in determining what appeals to the masses.

    Cheers,
    Tantor


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    senGkanG
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: Comments please

    Like the contrast between the foreground and background.. works for me..

    But feel it'll be better it the left side is crop abit more..

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Telok Blangah Area
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Comments please

    Quote Originally Posted by andrOo View Post
    Like the contrast between the foreground and background.. works for me..

    But feel it'll be better it the left side is crop abit more..
    I get what you mean.... the pole at the side sorts of takes out some impression of the nodding donkey..... Thanks for sharing your views.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Comments please

    horizon is rather slanted.. like the "soft" feel. its rather soft right? or is it my eyes.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Comments please

    Quote Originally Posted by Tantor View Post
    Hi there,

    Comments from anyone is greatly appreciated, especially in helping me learn more about photography and in determining what appeals to the masses.

    Cheers,
    Tantor

    don't like the soft feeling of the photo... also the top "wire" and left "pole" need to be remove, IMHO...

  6. #6

    Default Re: Comments please

    Mmm... the pole and the wire on top, crop it, it's not adding.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Telok Blangah Area
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Comments please

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
    Mmm... the pole and the wire on top, crop it, it's not adding.
    Roger on the need to get rid of distractions or stuff that don't add to the photo.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Comments please

    OR just crop the pole then use the clone tool(cs2) to erase the wire if the sky u capture got many cloud lah.

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Currently, Singapore but hope
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: Comments please

    Technically well executed but lacks composition. The strength of the photo is in the sunset and the silohette. Should try to fill about half or 2 third with one of these items in the photo. The overhead cables threw the whole beautiful scene out. The real good pix is somewhere about a theird into the centre of the picture with the oil rig framing the shot and the sun about a third into the frame from the the right and the rest of teh shadows forming the bottom 2/3 into the frame.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Telok Blangah Area
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Comments please

    Quote Originally Posted by tommon View Post
    Technically well executed but lacks composition. The strength of the photo is in the sunset and the silohette. Should try to fill about half or 2 third with one of these items in the photo. The overhead cables threw the whole beautiful scene out. The real good pix is somewhere about a theird into the centre of the picture with the oil rig framing the shot and the sun about a third into the frame from the the right and the rest of teh shadows forming the bottom 2/3 into the frame.
    Is this the result that you are referring to? I tried my best to crop and make use of the existing photo.


  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Comments please

    Quote Originally Posted by Tantor View Post
    Is this the result that you are referring to? I tried my best to crop and make use of the existing photo.

    you can effectively give the machines more attention by removing the top 1/4 of the frame to form a panoramic view panning across the field. the machine on the left is a good anchor point for the picture

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Telok Blangah Area
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Comments please

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you can effectively give the machines more attention by removing the top 1/4 of the frame to form a panoramic view panning across the field. the machine on the left is a good anchor point for the picture
    Thanks for the comments, and it was what I was thinking of doing when I was cropping it previously, however I felt that the ratio of width to height wasn't good enough.... basically too tall and not long enough... However if you want... I have a paranoma shot of Las Vegas that is stitched up by almost 8-10 photos. I'll put it up some time later.

    But thanks for the comments nonetheless.

    Cheers,
    Tantor

  13. #13

    Default Re: Comments please

    Hey. i think you need to get more machines and wires in your picture and less sky. i think you could do this either by using a wideangle lens and isolating one oil rig against the backdrop, or using a 200mm zoom, concentrating on the middle portion so that you sort of compress all the rigs and the wires together in 2/3rds of the frame. contrasting the complexity what is man made against the simplicity of the sunset sky. either way the emphasis on the machines gives it more punch. telling a story something like "the sun is setting on our world as we continue to over exploit our natural resources"

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Telok Blangah Area
    Posts
    63

    Default Re: Comments please

    Quote Originally Posted by chriscyw View Post
    Hey. i think you need to get more machines and wires in your picture and less sky. i think you could do this either by using a wideangle lens and isolating one oil rig against the backdrop, or using a 200mm zoom, concentrating on the middle portion so that you sort of compress all the rigs and the wires together in 2/3rds of the frame. contrasting the complexity what is man made against the simplicity of the sunset sky. either way the emphasis on the machines gives it more punch. telling a story something like "the sun is setting on our world as we continue to over exploit our natural resources"
    I think that is very possible, and with the right equipment, I'm sure great photo potential lies await. But when I saw the sunrise, on that early morning during my drive up to Los Angeles, what struck me was the contrast between nature's simplicity and man's complexity. On one side you have a beautiful sunrise, arriving in all its glory and it happens everyday... on the other side you have a symbol of man's desire for the pursuit of its own agenda... the continuous 24/7 operation of a Nodding Donkey....... It really was a sight worth stopping my drive to take this shot.

    And I felt that without enough sky, the sunrise might not achieve its impact... I just shot the photo trying to capture those feelings that I had. Another factor that basically limited my imagination in capturing this photo, was time was the essence. The sun was rising, and I had only around a minute or less to take a few shots, before it rose totally above the mountain ridge... by that time.... it would have been too bright and the photo would have been totally white wash....

    Cheers,
    Tantor

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •