Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

Thread: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

  1. #1

    Exclamation Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Dear CSnappers,
    My current Acer TravelMate, which has served me well for the past 5 years has been acting very "strangely" of late. Last week it almost caused me a heart attack when I switched it on with nothing on the screen but I could still hear the system running. Then yesterday while watching LOTR on my Acer, it switched off by itself, TWICE.

    So I think this is a good sign of telling me that it is time for me to get a new laptop - and I am planning to get a Macbook. Problem is, though I have used Mac before in school but I don't really know a lot of stuff about Macs. Therefore I am hoping the Mac experts in CS can enlighten me with some info before I spend my money on a Macbook.

    My new laptop will be used mainly for processing photos, general schoolwork (documents and powerpoints) and the Internet.

    1. I read a thread somewhere in CS and some members were saying that their HDD failed with just 14 months of usage. Are Macbooks really that lousy? Because if I am going to buy a new laptop, it had better last without any major problems for the next 2 years - at least until I start working and earning my own money.

    2. A salesman at Wheelock quoted me last week $1776 for the 1.83GHz white Macbook. What are the chances of me getting a better price at iShop?

    3. May I ask what is the difference between Combo drive and SuperDrive (under the Optical drive)?

    4. Things like Spyware, Adware - can they also strike Macbooks? Or are they just less common compared to PC?

    5. I know this sounds silly but I have friends who tell me that Macbooks also suffer from virus attacks exactly the same like PC, and the so-called "truth" is actually just a marketing gimmick. Because I am very tired of virus attacks that I encounter every year, the ability to cut down virus attacks is one of the main issues I am looking at if I should buy a Macbook.

    6. When is the next computer/IT show? Should I wait for the upcoming IT show or Xmas? I heard from my classmate that usually at those times, sellers will tend to throw in a lot of freebies.... (sorry I know I sound very cheepo but I am just a poor student).

    7. Are there any other issues I should take note of before buying a Macbook?

    {Mich}

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    1. I read a thread somewhere in CS and some members were saying that their HDD failed with just 14 months of usage. Are Macbooks really that lousy? Because if I am going to buy a new laptop, it had better last without any major problems for the next 2 years - at least until I start working and earning my own money.

    Computers are computers. Whether is it Apple or Asus, most computer companies are taking parts from the same sources. So failures are from the source for parts.

    2. A salesman at Wheelock quoted me last week $1776 for the 1.83GHz white Macbook. What are the chances of me getting a better price at iShop?

    I think Apple prices are very much controlled. There is a company in SLS call SGL Marketing and they also offer competitive prices and freebies. They are located on level 2.

    3. May I ask what is the difference between Combo drive and SuperDrive (under the Optical drive)?

    Combo Reads/Writes CDs but only reads DVDs. Superdrives Read/Writes all discs. THe newer ones support Dual Layer DVDs thus giving you larger capacity.

    4. Things like Spyware, Adware - can they also strike Macbooks? Or are they just less common compared to PC?

    Virus and Spyware and whatever-ware does not affect the Mac OS. OK, to be fair, viruses can be written for any OS, but so far the chances of getting your Mac infected is close to zero. (See below).

    5. I know this sounds silly but I have friends who tell me that Macbooks also suffer from virus attacks exactly the same like PC, and the so-called "truth" is actually just a marketing gimmick. Because I am very tired of virus attacks that I encounter every year, the ability to cut down virus attacks is one of the main issues I am looking at if I should buy a Macbook.

    You friends should be Mac haters. Been a Mac user since 1993 and owned more than a dozen Macs. Never once I installed anti-virus, never once I had an infection. So I am not sure what kind of sites your friends frequent to get their Macs infected., if possible at all.

    6. When is the next computer/IT show? Should I wait for the upcoming IT show or Xmas? I heard from my classmate that usually at those times, sellers will tend to throw in a lot of freebies.... (sorry I know I sound very cheepo but I am just a poor student).

    You can go talk to the friendly people at iShop or SGL marketing to get an idea of what is coming. Or you can go check out and ask questions at the Singapore Mac Users Group. That is the de-facto forum that handles all things Mac. Cheers.

    7. Are there any other issues I should take note of before buying a Macbook?

    Prefer Black or White?

    {Mich}

  3. #3
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Doing photos? Get MacBook Pro, forget MacBook.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    7. Are there any other issues I should take note of before buying a Macbook?

    Shld consider the $ or how u goin to buy/get mac softwares... mac is not like pc whe u can get p****** software easily...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by xiaobai View Post
    7. Are there any other issues I should take note of before buying a Macbook?

    Shld consider the $ or how u goin to buy/get mac softwares... mac is not like pc whe u can get p****** software easily...
    Mac has a lot of image-editing FREEWARE (w/o ads) which can rival Illustrator and photoshop too.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    hello, if you're still studying, why don't you buy it from roadshows at school, or from the net. there are student prices and it saves you about $300-500 depending on what you get. i bought mine from school and upgraded to 2gb ram. saved quite alot as compared to outside.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103 View Post
    Dear CSnappers,
    My current Acer TravelMate, which has served me well for the past 5 years has been acting very "strangely" of late. Last week it almost caused me a heart attack when I switched it on with nothing on the screen but I could still hear the system running. Then yesterday while watching LOTR on my Acer, it switched off by itself, TWICE.

    So I think this is a good sign of telling me that it is time for me to get a new laptop - and I am planning to get a Macbook. Problem is, though I have used Mac before in school but I don't really know a lot of stuff about Macs. Therefore I am hoping the Mac experts in CS can enlighten me with some info before I spend my money on a Macbook.

    My new laptop will be used mainly for processing photos, general schoolwork (documents and powerpoints) and the Internet.

    1. I read a thread somewhere in CS and some members were saying that their HDD failed with just 14 months of usage. Are Macbooks really that lousy? Because if I am going to buy a new laptop, it had better last without any major problems for the next 2 years - at least until I start working and earning my own money.

    2. A salesman at Wheelock quoted me last week $1776 for the 1.83GHz white Macbook. What are the chances of me getting a better price at iShop?

    3. May I ask what is the difference between Combo drive and SuperDrive (under the Optical drive)?

    4. Things like Spyware, Adware - can they also strike Macbooks? Or are they just less common compared to PC?

    5. I know this sounds silly but I have friends who tell me that Macbooks also suffer from virus attacks exactly the same like PC, and the so-called "truth" is actually just a marketing gimmick. Because I am very tired of virus attacks that I encounter every year, the ability to cut down virus attacks is one of the main issues I am looking at if I should buy a Macbook.

    6. When is the next computer/IT show? Should I wait for the upcoming IT show or Xmas? I heard from my classmate that usually at those times, sellers will tend to throw in a lot of freebies.... (sorry I know I sound very cheepo but I am just a poor student).

    7. Are there any other issues I should take note of before buying a Macbook?

    {Mich}
    am in the same situation with u...

    but mine more to CAD/CAM uses or drafting than editing of photos..

    but NEVER use a MAc b4... so not sure if i can accomdate to MAC...
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

  8. #8

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by wazzup View Post
    Doing photos? Get MacBook Pro, forget MacBook.
    Totally agree but only if budget allows

    The Pro version is better because the graphics card memory is dedicated unlike the non-Pro version which is integrated graphics, i.e. shares your onboard memory. This means that the images are drawn faster on your display and also your CPU is free to do other number crunching stuff.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by xiaobai View Post
    7. Are there any other issues I should take note of before buying a Macbook?

    Shld consider the $ or how u goin to buy/get mac softwares... mac is not like pc whe u can get p****** software easily...
    You should get the extended warranty which Apple calls AppleCare. All Mac portable computers come with a standard user carry-in one year international warranty on parts and labor. AppleCare will extend your warranty for an additional 2 years, the total is 3 years from date of purchase.

    Please note that you must get Applecare within the first year of purchase. So if your budget is tight now, get it later but within the first year of purchase.

    AppleCare is transferable should you choose to sell your Mac portable.

    Budget for memory upgrades. Check of SGL at Sim Lim Sq for competitive pricing. Paying cash/NETS normally gives you a better price.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by VR Man View Post
    Totally agree but only if budget allows

    The Pro version is better because the graphics card memory is dedicated unlike the non-Pro version which is integrated graphics, i.e. shares your onboard memory. This means that the images are drawn faster on your display and also your CPU is free to do other number crunching stuff.
    And also the Macbook looks so plasticy and the casing seems to get scratched easily!!!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by k3nn3th03 View Post
    am in the same situation with u...

    but mine more to CAD/CAM uses or drafting than editing of photos..

    but NEVER use a MAc b4... so not sure if i can accomdate to MAC...
    The latest version of Autocad is not available on a Mac, since release 9 I think. If you die die need to use that software and a Mac, you have to run Windows on an Intel Mac. Otherwise this is one area that the Mac loses out

    There are other CAD/CAM software on a Mac. A search on www.versiontracker.com will thrown up something like link

  12. #12

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by wazzup View Post
    Doing photos? Get MacBook Pro, forget MacBook.
    Hello,
    Yeah I also like the Macbook Pro, which can use Final Cut Pro (FCP) for video editing. But buying the FCP plus the Pro will set me aside nearly $7k, which is way out of my budget. That kind of money can only arrive when I graduate, start working and start saving for whatever I want.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by zemotion View Post
    hello, if you're still studying, why don't you buy it from roadshows at school, or from the net. there are student prices and it saves you about $300-500 depending on what you get. i bought mine from school and upgraded to 2gb ram. saved quite alot as compared to outside.
    I am studying at SIM.... They don't have such roadshows so far, well, at least for the past 1.5 years with them.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for everyone's replies. I really appreciate it.

    I still have another question - is there a need for me to upgrade the HDD, Ram or anything if I buy the Macbook?

    Regards,
    {Mich}

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    get an external HD - internal ones COST A BOMB!!! $700 for 100GB.. 120GB at Simlim with firewire Housing is ard $200+ only

    get more RAM

    ask ur friend in NUS to help u buy, they got some good offers and ram upgrade,

    get the apple care 3yr warranty, abt $400+ its parts and services, which mean ur HD will be covered.

    You can get a refurbished set from apple.com.sg if you don't mind, it comes with 1yr warranty and u too can opt for a apple care 3yr warranty. cheaper by abt 30%

    Given a choice.. I will use everything Mac.. and junk my PC... I've been using my ibook for photo editing, 1.5yrs already.. not much problems and it served me well.

  16. #16
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103 View Post
    I am studying at SIM.... They don't have such roadshows so far, well, at least for the past 1.5 years with them.
    You can purchase it at student prices off Apple's website, students/teachers are elligible for educational discounts. Use that to get your MacBook Pro. FCP can wait, if you want to run FCP, you're going to need 30GB space minimum. The current new series of MBP sports a 120GB HDD which will be super helpful in running FCP.



    Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for everyone's replies. I really appreciate it.

    I still have another question - is there a need for me to upgrade the HDD, Ram or anything if I buy the Macbook?

    Regards,
    {Mich}
    Yes, do the RAM.



    The HDD is fixed at 60GB for now, i) it's pretty limited, ii) the screen I don't like - glossy, iii) MBP has a better screen for doing images.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    1. I read a thread somewhere in CS and some members were saying that their HDD failed with just 14 months of usage. Are Macbooks really that lousy? Because if I am going to buy a new laptop, it had better last without any major problems for the next 2 years - at least until I start working and earning my own money.

    -*Most* MBs are manufactured from Asus. However, a few of my friends who own a MB have not experienced any HDD failures, maybe something along the lines of something to do with the logic board and one had a cracked LCD screen and as with all hardware, any part can fail at any time.

    2. A salesman at Wheelock quoted me last week $1776 for the 1.83GHz white Macbook. What are the chances of me getting a better price at iShop?

    The Apple Store online gives students discounts. You *might* get a better price there

    3. May I ask what is the difference between Combo drive and SuperDrive (under the Optical drive)?

    Combo- Burn CD-R/RW, reads DVD
    Superdrive- Burn DVD R/RW, CD R/RW


    4. Things like Spyware, Adware - can they also strike Macbooks? Or are they just less common compared to PC?

    Actually, they are just less common than PCs, they still do have viruses.

    5. I know this sounds silly but I have friends who tell me that Macbooks also suffer from virus attacks exactly the same like PC, and the so-called "truth" is actually just a marketing gimmick. Because I am very tired of virus attacks that I encounter every year, the ability to cut down virus attacks is one of the main issues I am looking at if I should buy a Macbook.

    Refer to abv

    6. When is the next computer/IT show? Should I wait for the upcoming IT show or Xmas? I heard from my classmate that usually at those times, sellers will tend to throw in a lot of freebies.... (sorry I know I sound very cheepo but I am just a poor student).

    The next one is Sitex, as for the rest of the questions I'm not too sure

    7. Are there any other issues I should take note of before buying a Macbook?

    Err... try not to buy RAM from Apple, DIY cheaper For a start, I know the US side uses Crucial RAMs. Asia side got to ask around. And of course, black or white for you sir?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    the macbook comes with a removable harddisc bay so you can change the HDD yourself.

    buy OEM ram.. i think 1 gig is about 100usd.


    the macbook should be good enough for you.

    i'm pretty sure you dont need a GUI for cs2 .. only ram... or rather that is what i read in the macforums.

    Having said that, you always want to buy the best equiptment you can afford right now so as to save money in the long run.

    applecare also helps to keep the value of the computer up.

    wait a couple of weeks, the core2duo macbooks should come out before thanksgiving 23rd nov. i waited 3 months to get the core2duo MBP and the thing is blazing fast.

    in the states, the best bang for buck mac is a refurb CD mbp.. i believe some were going for as low as 1.5k usd.

    and you wont be disappointed with osx!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
    Posts
    1,159

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by trlnlty View Post
    the macbook comes with a removable harddisc bay so you can change the HDD yourself.

    buy OEM ram.. i think 1 gig is about 100usd.


    the macbook should be good enough for you.

    i'm pretty sure you dont need a GUI for cs2 .. only ram... or rather that is what i read in the macforums.

    Having said that, you always want to buy the best equiptment you can afford right now so as to save money in the long run.

    applecare also helps to keep the value of the computer up.

    wait a couple of weeks, the core2duo macbooks should come out before thanksgiving 23rd nov. i waited 3 months to get the core2duo MBP and the thing is blazing fast.

    in the states, the best bang for buck mac is a refurb CD mbp.. i believe some were going for as low as 1.5k usd.

    and you wont be disappointed with osx!
    But Macbook is still consider expensive!
    And are you sure you are getting a Macbook???

    "Apple admits to MacBook discoloration issues

    It was recently reported by certain Apple MacBook users that their white MacBooks were becoming a grungy dirt color faster than you would expect on the wrist rest and touchpad areas. Initially Apple claimed this was due to users not properly taking care of their products. However, according to website Softpedia.com, Apple has now admitted some MacBook notebooks have manufacturing issues with the plastic and users should contact Apple Care via the www.apple.com website in order to resolve their issues.
    "

    Last edited by XXX Boy; 5th November 2006 at 09:59 PM.

  20. #20
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Dunno about Macbooks, HELP!!!

    There are many ways to take care of the MacBook... get a wrist protector...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •