Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera Recommendation for a newbie

Default Re: Camera Recommendation for a newbie

my recommendation is to buy a used cam, either D70 from Nikon; 350D from Canon; E300 / E500 from Olympus or any other DSLR that cost you about 1K. From there, you can then explore what are the things you really want or is most important in a DSLR. Then, you can sell away the cam and get the camera system that most suit your requirement.

If you happen to find out that DSLR is too complicated / expensive a hobby, then you can always sell away your cam losing only few hundred bucks..

Just my 2 cents worth

Quote Originally Posted by tunghk View Post
    my recommendation is to buy a used cam, either D70 from Nikon; 350D from Canon; E300 / E500 from Olympus or any other DSLR that cost you about 1K. From there, you can then explore what are the things you really want or is most important in a DSLR. Then, you can sell away the cam and get the camera system that most suit your requirement.

If you happen to find out that DSLR is too complicated / expensive a hobby, then you can always sell away your cam losing only few hundred bucks..

Just my 2 cents worth

Agree! Agree! Dun be poisoned....

Hi graphicz,

I think you shouldn't be wasting your $$ on a used camera now and have to get another higher end cam later. If you seriously think of taking up photography, u should just get the best you can afford and start on from there. No point spending $1K or less now and then upgrade again in a few months time.

I guess the best right now which is within your budget should be the Nikon D80 body and one good zoom lens.I recommend the Nikon 18-70DX as an affordable (aro $450) and reasonably good zoom lens.

The d80 allows you to grow your skills into it and this should easily last you for a few years.

Ya, i agree with georgeswb completely. Don't waste money on 2nd hand stuff. If you want to play around 1st, just borrow from someone.

I'm buying the D80 & the 18-70DX lens as my starter, maybe this month or next.
    This is a good starter combo.
    Flickr Me! :: Nikon D80 :: Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC MACRO

My $0.02 worth:

Yes and no.

Depends whether u have the money or not. If loaded...can test this photography hobby...
    if not, better try first... at the lowest cost as possible.

Interest is interest.. sometimes is a impulse purchase... see ppl have, i want to have also...

Quote Originally Posted by georgeswb View Post
    Hi graphicz,

I think you shouldn't be wasting your $$ on a used camera now and have to get another higher end cam later. If you seriously think of taking up photography, u should just get the best you can afford and start on from there. No point spending $1K or less now and then upgrade again in a few months time.

I guess the best right now which is within your budget should be the Nikon D80 body and one good zoom lens.I recommend the Nikon 18-70DX as an affordable (aro $450) and reasonably good zoom lens.

The d80 allows you to grow your skills into it and this should easily last you for a few years.
    actually i dun quite agree on the above.

first, not everyone knows if he is seriously going to take up photography and may have his equipments ended up sub-utilised.

secondly, it takes months to actually get to know a camera well. it is uncommon to upgrade a DSLR after a few months for a newbie, apart from some guys who upgrades zealously and is rich enough for that. of cos, i would say, if a veteran who is shooting film for long enough, have high expectations, and can learn fast, should consider a mid-level to start with becos the entry level may not satisfy his demand of control.

retrospectively, we will look at the better stuff, and that i will agree with you. but not everyone ended up that way. i'm using a nikon D50 for a year and would be thinking of upgrading to a D200 or its equivalents in probably another years time, but i would still think that it is not a wrong choice of me starting with a D50, for that i have learned from this device, make use of it during its good life span and give me the feel and know how of selecting my next device more comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by graphicz View Post
    great...think with the lens will be better..
    so just like that i can start with alr?

400d
    18-55
    75-300
    50 f1.8
    tripod
    bag
    abit more card and batt
    perharp consider a mount flash...
    and a good close-up filter too...

well.. with this arsenal you can probably have a feel of photography all round.. then decide heading to your field of interest...

ok..i'll think through it..maybe i'll just borrow and try out some b4 i buy it first i guess..

For entry level, I recommend the Leica M8.

Quote Originally Posted by linsey View Post
    For entry level, I recommend the Leica M8.
    arrgghhhaaahhaa... linda and whisper is back in action

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12