Thread: Need help about film and lab

Talking Need help about film and lab

I don't really know where to post these questions, have been digging up old thread alot and still got these questions so calling for help,thanks.
    My case is like this, i am not from Singapore,just move here. I mainly use digital but i use film in my country. But when i come to Singapore, i occur some problem with the lab near my house. I live near orchard road,about 6,7 bus stop. Near my house have kodak express and fuji film express but their service not quite good,always give me cold face and ask me to use the auto machine for digital, and i feel something wrong with the price for 35mm process / roll.

So i need ur help lah since i try to use film again.

1) Can u reccommend 35mm film that good for beginner ? I used to use the Kodak gold and the Fujifilm something that most lab or market have. If u got any recommend, can u quote the price and where can i buy ? ( Both colour film and b&W film, iso from 100-400)

2) Where can i get my film developed,scan and print ? What is the price ? Can u recommend anyplace near my house ? Can u give me the price for developed + scan + print and developed + scan only ?

3) i don't understand the term 4 base scan ,what is it ? Is it Like 16bit ?

Thanks you for reading and helping me.
    The camera i'll be using is canon ae-1 program and olympus xa

Deregistered

Default Re: Need help about film and lab

I'd recommend TripleD at Burlington Sq. PMed the details to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bahibo View Post
    I don't really know where to post these questions, have been digging up old thread alot and still got these questions so calling for help,thanks.
    My case is like this, i am not from Singapore,just move here. I mainly use digital but i use film in my country. But when i come to Singapore, i occur some problem with the lab near my house. I live near orchard road,about 6,7 bus stop. Near my house have kodak express and fuji film express but their service not quite good,always give me cold face and ask me to use the auto machine for digital, and i feel something wrong with the price for 35mm process / roll.

1) Can u reccommend 35mm film that good for beginner ? I used to use the Kodak gold and the Fujifilm something that most lab or market have. If u got any recommend, can u quote the price and where can i buy ? ( Both colour film and b&W film, iso from 100-400)

2) Where can i get my film developed,scan and print ? What is the price ? Can u recommend anyplace near my house ? Can u give me the price for developed + scan + print and developed + scan only ?

Based on location shd be Konata in Peninsula Plaza, Fuji lab in Aldephi.

Thanks Azure and Creaxion for the help
    Anyone can suggest me about which colour film and b&W film to use ? And the price ?
    And how much it cost for the service ? I mean the average price lah ?
    And what is 4base scan ?

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...ighlight=GRACE

i know about grace already,but seem a little too far. THanks.
    Anyone can help me with the rest of my question ?

1. Good colour film, Fuji Superia X-tra series. nowadays they usually only carry 200 and 400. Konota has anything from 100-1600 and even Reala.

B&W, haven't developed or shot any, but for traditional B&W chemistry (can only develop at places like riceball, konoto or ruby), you can't go wrong with Kodak TMax 100. or for C41 (develop at any labs) you can try Kodak T400CN.

2. if you live near Ochard, recommend you go to Peninsular Plaza, go to Konota or Ruby. Excellent services. You can try Soo Kee at Far East Shopping Centre. they should produce some pretty good prints since they have some awards by Fuji for labs.

3. 4base and 16base are just the scanning resolution (in pixels): 4Base-1024x1536, 16Base-2048x3072.

for colour negs my fav is Fuji NPC160 if you like the saturated look. So fat only konota seems to have it though...
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by antitrust View Post
    1. Good colour film, Fuji Superia X-tra series. nowadays they usually only carry 200 and 400. Konota has anything from 100-1600 and even Reala.
    what's the difference between superia and reala? googled it and there seem to be a number of different opinions. the idea i get is that reala is slightly less contrasty and saturated and a bit better for shooting humans?

also, i know you want a good lab to do the printing, cos of the paper and the machines etc. but how about the developing? does it matter which lab does it? cos i don't live so near the city area, so i'm tempted to just develop and print near my house, then go to a better lab and reprint the good pix.
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

waa,u guys reply so fast. Thanks all for ur help.
    I think i will try Konata or Ruby . Which one have better price ?
    Anybody suggest Fotohub ? I heard that they are good ?
    I will name the lab i can go :
    -Triple d - burlington square
    -Konata - peninsua plaze
    -Fuji lab - adelphi
    -Foto hub- raffles place
    -Ruby - i don't know the location ,heard that near peninsual

Can u guys give me a brief view of the prices ? And should i scan at 4base or 16base ? And the size ? Which size of foto should i print ,i know it depend on my need,but usually,what is the normal size ?
    Again,thanks a lot for ur help

developing is the most important part for film photography,a good/decent lab will probably have enough volume of film to keep the chemicals in the processing machine in very good condition.
    i would recommend developing/scan from a more reputable lab and then decide which to print.
    regards

thanks for your reply kex. guess i can't be lazy after all

bahibo, ruby is on the ground floor of peninsular shopping centre, next to funan and opposite peninsula plaza. 4R is probably the most common size these days. not too expensive to print, lots of available albums, and you can always blow the ones you like up bigger after that.
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

Quote Originally Posted by pai View Post
    what's the difference between superia and reala? googled it and there seem to be a number of different opinions. the idea i get is that reala is slightly less contrasty and saturated and a bit better for shooting humans?

also, i know you want a good lab to do the printing, cos of the paper and the machines etc. but how about the developing? does it matter which lab does it? cos i don't live so near the city area, so i'm tempted to just develop and print near my house, then go to a better lab and reprint the good pix.
    to be honest, i haven't shot with reala yet, so i can't give my unbiased opinion on this. but i have shot enough rolls of kodak gold and fuji superia to tell you that, in my opinion, fuji superia is superior.

if you live near the west, go to Miao Laan at Bukit Batok. i always go there to develop and scan 35mm and develop and print 120mm at 4R. highly recommended. good service.

Thanks Azure and Creaxion for the help
    Anyone can suggest me about which colour film and b&W film to use ? And the price ?
    And how much it cost for the service ? I mean the average price lah ?
    And what is 4base scan ?
    This is lab scanning. Usually, they use 4base scan for all films.

4base scan produce a resolution of 1800 x 1200 with about 1.5mb file size.

16base scan produce a resolution of 3600 x 2400 with about 5mb file size.

Hope this will enlighten you.

Thanks you guys for the info. I learned a lot.
    Thanks Vinlee, but usually we do 4base or 16base ,is the price far diiferent ?

waa,u guys reply so fast. Thanks all for ur help.
    I think i will try Konata or Ruby . Which one have better price ?
    Anybody suggest Fotohub ? I heard that they are good ?
    I will name the lab i can go :
    -Triple d - burlington square
    -Konata - peninsua plaze
    -Fuji lab - adelphi
    -Foto hub- raffles place
    -Ruby - i don't know the location ,heard that near peninsual

Can u guys give me a brief view of the prices ? And should i scan at 4base or 16base ? And the size ? Which size of foto should i print ,i know it depend on my need,but usually,what is the normal size ?
    Again,thanks a lot for ur help
    As far as my knowledge goes,

1. for 4R Matt, ignore Kodak labs due to type of paper used.
    2. For 4R Glossy, Kodak and Fuji labs just as gd however, my personal preference is Kodak
    3. For 8R prints or larger, glossy or Matt - Kodak paper is equally as gd as Fuji paper. Kind of strange that the 4R matt paper of Kodak is diff from 8R paper. However, do note that Kodak used Noritsu's machines and some of the machines are 400 DPI machines (the lab that I frequent used that machine) while Fuji machines is only 300 DPI. Theoretically a 400 DPI machines will print out better images than 300 DPI machines. However, some labs used Noritsu's machines but Fuji paper (based on what I heard).
    4. For black and white - go straight for Kodak cause their black and white photos are less colour biased.
    5. My friend who is a professional frequent Fotohub and said that there is a lady with very gd developing skills.
    Last edited by CreaXion; 5th November 2006 at 07:36 AM.