View Poll Results: What mode of your camera do you use most often?

Voters
262. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manual

46 17.56%
  • Shutter Priority (Tv)

9 3.44%
  • Aperture Priority (Av)

146 55.73%
  • Program

50 19.08%
  • Scene Modes (e.g. Portriat, Landscape, Nightshot etc)

7 2.67%
  • Don't know

4 1.53%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What mode of your camera do you use the most often?

john_choo
    Guests

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    No need to be paiseh what...... the technical aspect is not as important as the artistic aspect...... I suppose if it frees u to spend more time considering the composition, that would be great.....
    Disagree... Its like having a Ferrari (or any other performance car for that matter), and never moving it out of gear 1... (come to think of it, the Ferrari might beat most of the cars flat on gear 1... haha)

Anyway, my point is you need to know the capabilities of your equipment before you can even start to take good shots. Composition is no doubt important, but can you ensure the computer on your camera(P mode) can give you the kind of shot you are thinking of everytime? I sincerely doubt it... especially in difficult lighting situations...

thoa_rs: do try to explore M, A, or S, no doubt it'll require a little bit more thought into your shot, but it will help you to improve as a photographer.

For me:

Outdoor: use Av

Indoor: use Av or P (depending on exposure reading)

i use p*

Deregistered

Can't vote, cuz I use all of them, except for S mode, almost equally on my Coolpix.
    P&A for most of my "normal", people and street shots, M whenever I want to play with my moods, and the Preset "scene" modes for special shots. The preset "CloseUp" mode allows me to stack the macro function to get much more decent bokeh and go real close, whilst the "Double Exposure" is fun...

On the occasions I shoot with DSLR, then its mostly P and the rest A.

ckiang, u need one more option on the poll...... "I use all of the above equally".........

wooh, so many A, Av mode users. gosh, i never use A before, only for testing on the cams if its working.

i only use (M)anual mode 99% and (P)rofesser mode when the action is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    actually, Nikon probably makes better "doorstops" cos the F-series cameras all have rubber coated material - grip better. Use Canons with its light and with smooth plastic covering, break wind also the door will slam shut .....
    Only simplistic Nikonians would want to use their rubber toys as doorstops. Canonites probably USE their cams as they are to produce stunning pics.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi2
    Only simplistic Nikonians would want to use their rubber toys as doorstops. Canonites probably USE their cams as they are to produce stunning pics.

Canon And Nikon War????

i guess both brands have its own good points... and both brands of camera can produce stunning pictures too... (depending on the photographer)

cheers

Well for me...im using M mode most of the time, followed by A (if i need to take it fast and not much thinking), then S. never tried P mode before.

In M mode, i normally would set the aperture that i want and then adjust the shutter to get the correct exposure... (takes a bit of time thou)

But i still use some of the scene modes,like landscape or macro mode, cause im still quite new to photography and sometimes i just can't make up the correct exposure.... */ mind black out /*

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SuRfTeC
    Well for me...im using M mode most of the time, followed by A (if i need to take it fast and not much thinking), then S. never tried P mode before.

In M mode, i normally would set the aperture that i want and then adjust the shutter to get the correct exposure... (takes a bit of time thou)

But i still use some of the scene modes,like landscape or macro mode, cause im still quite new to photography and sometimes i just can't make up the correct exposure.... */ mind black out /*

cheers

Sorry OT here but I am curious when u say "can't make up the correct exposure"... how do u do that? I mean u set the aperture and then u set the shutter speed.... so how do u know if the shutter speed is too fast or slow? Match it to the camera's meter?

siaoant
    Guests

im a newbie, so i uses scene modes most of the time.. anyway, im now learning how to use the other modes liao.. wish me luck

I use A most of the time. To get the required DOF. if the shutter speed is too slow, I'll usually compensate with higher ISO.

Then when it comes to action freezing or motion blur shots, I'll use T( or S). Then choose an ISO according to the brightness of the sun, making sure my aperature is small enough for the picture to be sharp.

But for scenery, I'll use M. set high F-number. Usually with a tripod.

Heh... I think I use everything except auto.

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    Sorry OT here but I am curious when u say "can't make up the correct exposure"... how do u do that? I mean u set the aperture and then u set the shutter speed.... so how do u know if the shutter speed is too fast or slow? Match it to the camera's meter?

Erm... dunno whether i understand your question or not... but i think correct exposure is the Exposure Value (EV) in the camera itself at 0EV...

how to know the shutter is too fast or slow... that depends on the picture that you wanna take...
    for me i think a shutter of 1/30 at 0EV is considered slow (my own opinion ) so i will play around with the aperture to obtain a faster shutter speed... maybe a bigger aperture like f2.8??

gurus... please correct me if im wrong...

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SuRfTeC
    Erm... dunno whether i understand your question or not... but i think correct exposure is the Exposure Value (EV) in the camera itself at 0EV...

how to know the shutter is too fast or slow... that depends on the picture that you wanna take...
    for me i think a shutter of 1/30 at 0EV is considered slow (my own opinion ) so i will play around with the aperture to obtain a faster shutter speed... maybe a bigger aperture like f2.8??

gurus... please correct me if im wrong...

cheers

I see...... so u depend on the EV meter in the camera lar...... I thought u do some manual calculations to decide the appropriate shutter speeds........ at least it seemed like that from your post lor........

If I'm using flash indoors, I'll usually use manual mode unless the lighting conditions change a lot and I want to capture the ambient lighting.

Errr...

For portraits, on my 10D, I choose the one with the icon of the woman;

For landscapes, the icon with the mountain is used;

For sports, the icon with the fella running is used;

For closeups, I choose the icon with the tulip;

and when I shoot at night, I use the icon with the star and the fella in it.

Wissen Sie, wer ich bin?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/yp-wang/

I use Aperture Priority mode most of the time simply because it can be used to control the depth of field.
    Next most commonly used would be Manual to have more control over the amount of exposure.

Actually I do use scene modes. Or rather, just one of them: sports mode. It's for times when I'm using my camera in other modes and I need a quick switch to a mode with a fast shutter speed to capture that one opportunity of nice action.

For me, most of the time A mode for Small Aperture.

Small aperture for close-ups, landscapes, for outdoor portraits.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123