Thread: How to manage photos taken on holiday

Default How to manage photos taken on holiday

Hi guys, pardon me but I am new to digital photography. I am intending to travel overseas for about a week and will be carrying my camera along to take shots, possibly a large number of them. Since I have limited memory card capacity, what is the best way for me to store these photos? If possible, I would like to know the most affordable way to do it. I do not mind spending a bit more for any solution as long as it pays off in long run.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: How to manage photos taken on holiday

get 2x memory card + portable storage. Backup all the photos every night.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Deregistered

get a 100GB OTG

What resolution are you shooting at and how much memory card space do you have now?

Hi fireframe,

I will be shooting at 6 megapixels. Currently I have a 256 MB card.

Did a search on the web. Is OTG some kind of a device that allows you to copy files off memory cards without a PC? Is there any recommendations for such a device?

Thanks!

256MB, definitely not enuff lah, jsut buy more memory cards, now so cheap
    if u stick wiht your 256, every few shots, u have to back up, so just buy a one or two 2Gb cards. 2Gb can take up to about 600 shots if u shoot 6Megapixel

Quote Originally Posted by fastshuttle View Post
    I will be shooting at 6 megapixels. Currently I have a 256 MB card.
    You should just consider getting 2 pieces of 1 or 2 GB cards. I managed to do a 1 week trip on 1.5 GB of storage with a Sony DSC-T9 (also 6 MP), including some video clips.

Did a search on the web. Is OTG some kind of a device that allows you to copy files off memory cards without a PC? Is there any recommendations for such a device?
    OTG is short for On The Go, I think. :P Generic description of those portable hard disk storage devices.

Member/Tangshooter

additional memory cards a must..256MB too small liao..go for 1 2GB or 2 1GB..and a portable storage..all this can find at Sim Lim Square..i recommend 5th level..shop name can't remember..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

This one should help you a great deal:

http://www.thecus.com/products_over.php?cid=1&pid=7

$59 without any hdd. Some shops in SLS bundle it with a 40G for $119:

http://sg.hardwarezone.com/priceguid...ew.php?id=1672

I think it's a good deal. The gadget runs on battery or dc. Cool stuff i think. But one thing to take note that it's not a ruggedized casing that can handle rough handling.

You can store regular stuffs as usual when you are not traveling, so a all in one tool for you.

hi fastshuttle,

alternatively, you can consider getting a photo bank which allows you to copy files from memory cards to internal HDD using internal rechargeable battery.

I have been using Digimate III for quite some time and find that their photo bank is reliable and convenient to use. I got mine from http://gadgetsmore.com/index.php?cPath=21. You can take a look.

Hope this helps

but still, according to me, the best way is to buy extra memory card (large capacity / above 1Gig )

that should be enough.

upz, forgot ....
    the bigger capacity you have, then... extra batteries is a MUST have !!!

a back-up camera may be useful in case the main cam is spoilt/misplaced

post a ipod photo with a camera connector

remember to review your shots everyday and delete away those you do not want to keep before backing up, this will save you space and time later

time to upgrade your card... forget about a portable HD only for this trip while you dont need it for other purposes... presuming it's CF, a reliable 4GB cost less the 200 nowsday.. if you shoot 6mp jpeg it can store over a thousand images...

Hi guys, thanks all for your advise. After revewing my needs and all the products out there, I have choosen to get a portable harddisk, as I will be travelling regularly and also I may need one for copying my work documents and other files. Think it will pay off well in the long run.

I managed to get one from GadgetsMore.com, so far I am quite pleased with its performance and reliability.

Thanks guys!