Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resolution of Newspaper Photographs

Sin
    Guests

Originally posted by denizenx
    aiyah those news pics which do possess both content and technical excellence will be those prize winners lor.
    Wanna bet?

News is about stories. Not photograph.
    prize winners are photographs that tells the story. It can be the worst pic in terms of exposure or grain or etc, but if it tells the story with the right emotion, it wins.

Originally posted by denizenx
    aiyah those news pics which do possess both content and technical excellence will be those prize winners lor.
    Not always.

Then again I'd not expect you to understand how press awards work.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Kind of OT here...

but, increasingly, I realize that there are many more photos accompanying a news article that is there just for the sake of being there. For example, a news article on Robbie Fowler transferring to Manchester City will always have a photo of Robbie Fowler next to it, or a report on the increase in MRT prices will always have a photo of an MRT station.

In such situations, isn't the responsibility of the news photographer to ensure that more appropriate photographs are used, rather than one chosen from stock?

Originally posted by ckhaos

In such situations, isn't the responsibility of the news photographer to ensure that more appropriate photographs are used, rather than one chosen from stock?
    Maybe it's the editor's fault for selecting a crappy photo?

I'd think that there might not be an appropriate photo for all cases, so sometimes they might just arbitarily pick one shot and publish it.

Events of greater significance usually tend to be showered with greater attention to detail(as usually seen from the reports) and probably due to the fact that photographers have been dispatched onto location to try to capture a good shot.

Originally posted by ckhaos
    Kind of OT here...

but, increasingly, I realize that there are many more photos accompanying a news article that is there just for the sake of being there. For example, a news article on Robbie Fowler transferring to Manchester City will always have a photo of Robbie Fowler next to it, or a report on the increase in MRT prices will always have a photo of an MRT station.

The problem is, usually when those situations happen, there isn't a news photographer. Like MRT price rises will never be a snapper assignment, not unless there's a hoard of people forming picket lines outside the station.

Newspapers usually just pick up whatever pictures they have in stock rather than despatching snappers to shoot everything they need. The stock shots are more often than not free (in Singapore they are all free), which also has further advantages.

It's curious you should mention Robbie Fowler, that's about the one Leeds press conference I haven't been too, and yes his picture's been around everywhere and it's very annoying.

The situation is particularly bad in Singapore because there is no competition for ST and TNP, both of which are owned by SPH. There's a stranglehold, so the question is, where's the need to go out on a limb to improve the standard of photography? Some of the local sports pictures I've seen have been shocking in standard, technically let alone aesthetically. The one picture I saw when I was back in SG was an out of focus football shot - of a penalty! I can understand if it was live action, but this was a penalty with plenty of time for the snapper to sort himself out. Sad.

Another reason is that for the international news pictures, ST and TNP have to take the pictures the agencies churn out. For an event such as Robbie Fowler's protracted transfer, it constitutes a fairly small issue in the scale of things and I'd be surprised if the desk people despatch anything other than the press conference stock. Of course you could request better pics, but that entails $$$. And over here locally you'd have the option of smaller agencies who are more competitive and therefore will send out better pictures if they have them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12