Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I upgrade my HD by.....

Default Re: Can I upgrade my HD by.....

if you are running on Windows XP you might not be able to use ghost to clone it on to a new hardware configuration. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dDarkroom View Post
    if you are running on Windows XP you might not be able to use ghost to clone it on to a new hardware configuration. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I think Max's plan isn't to ghost the HDD for a completely new NB or DT but to ghost it to a HDD with higher capacity and use the new HDD on his existing NB. I've never had a problem with this and Windows did not ask me to re-activate it.

_

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    I think Max's plan isn't to ghost the HDD for a completely new NB or DT but to ghost it to a HDD with higher capacity and use the new HDD on his existing NB. I've never had a problem with this and Windows did not ask me to re-activate it.

_
    I croned a second HD using Ghost v7. but was proned to activate

Quote Originally Posted by dDarkroom View Post
    I croned a second HD using Ghost v7. but was proned to activate
    Did you change/upgrade your mobo or graphics card or RAM at the same time?

_

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    Did you change/upgrade your mobo or graphics card or RAM at the same time?

_
    no, same HW configuration, the second HD is also identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Adiemus View Post
    Hey Max. If you need help with Ghost, I can help you. Let me know.
    Thanks Adiemus! PM?

I'm also playing with cloning of drives, but not to change operating system, more as to backup the state of my system. I use Linux dd command to clone HDD partitions. Works fine for me.

I am not familiar with ghost, but my impression is that if you clone your 40G HDD over to a new 120G HDD it will still be a 40G partition on the 120G HDD.

Is that what others here understand?

Max, need to warn you, not all RAM is created equal. When I got my notebook RAM upgraded, we went through 4 brands before we found one that worked (Kingston was the one that worked). So the advice is to bring your notebook along when you buy the RAM, and test. Easy to tell, if the RAM is not right your notebook won't boot up.

Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8 View Post
    Thanks Adiemus! PM?
    Yep. Just PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by toasty View Post
    I'm also playing with cloning of drives, but not to change operating system, more as to backup the state of my system. I use Linux dd command to clone HDD partitions. Works fine for me.

I am not familiar with ghost, but my impression is that if you clone your 40G HDD over to a new 120G HDD it will still be a 40G partition on the 120G HDD.

Is that what others here understand?
    No. Ghost is able to expand/condense the partition to fill up the entire space of the new hard disk. You can even set the size you wish to use on the new HDD and use FDISK or Partition Magic to create other new partitions in the new HDD later.

Eg. 40Gb -> 300Gb

or 40Gb -> 20Gb (Note: The actual amount of data must be less than the capacity of the new HDD)

LOL.

I think some of you have been misinformed.

HDD
    Maximum 2.5" HDD size is now 160gb. About high $200+, if i am not wrong

RAM
    Maximum SODIMM ram size is 2gb for DDR2 and 1 gb for DDR.

Your notebook should be able to take in 1gb units but i would advise you to check the documentation, or give the manufacturer a call.

Check with the manufacturer by giving them a call

CLONING
    You CANNOT clone your hdd by simply copying the hdd over. Doing this will not allow you to boot up the operating system. You have to use cloning software from either your hdd manufacturer ( check website ), or Symantec Ghost / Partition Magic

If you have a lack of space, and are lazy to change hdd, consider external hard drives instead.

Digging out this old thread I started.

I just finished upgrading my HD to 80gb and install new ram to 1gb(2 X 512mb). Everything seems ok. I check my system information and saw the ram increased to 1024mb, but here's a question(may sound stupid to all you computer guru out there)....

How come available physical ram is only 668.63mb only? Something wrong?

Also, will increasing ram help speed up copying files from usb card reader or PC card CF card reader?

I'm not a tech person, so pardon me
    Last edited by TrailsofLife; 2nd February 2007 at 04:42 PM.

Almost forget...

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Your infos are really helpful

Especially Wanz and DP

Where did you see this figure? Was it from System Information? Or maybe Task Manager? If yes to any of these two, then you were looking at the wrong figure. This figure excludes the amount of memory that the O/S uses. You should be looking at the Total Physical Memory which tells you the total amount of memory available for your NB, including O/S, applications, drivers, etc. If I'm not mistaken, this figure (Total) excludes any memory that may have been reserved for the graphics card (if yours is the type that uses shared memory rather than dedicated memory).

Quote Originally Posted by kietgnoel View Post
    Where did you see this figure? Was it from System Information? Or maybe Task Manager? If yes to any of these two, then you were looking at the wrong figure. This figure excludes the amount of memory that the O/S uses. You should be looking at the Total Physical Memory which tells you the total amount of memory available for your NB, including O/S, applications, drivers, etc. If I'm not mistaken, this figure (Total) excludes any memory that may have been reserved for the graphics card (if yours is the type that uses shared memory rather than dedicated memory).
    I'm using a Dell Inspiron 700m. Its the shared memory kind. I used the system information in the accessories folder in the all program button in the start menu.

So you mean XP actually takes up 340+mb of memory to run? Wow!

Also, will increasing ram help speed up copying files from usb card reader or PC card CF card reader?

I'm not a tech person, so pardon me
    You need to take 1024 and then:
    1. Subtract the 250-350MB that Windows uses
    2. Subtract whatever memory is shared with your video card

And no, it won't speed up copying.

Another reason may lie in your "shared memory" statement ... part of the memory could perhaps be used for video ram, maybe automatically allocated by the BIOS. Why not call Dell support to check ?

Can anyone check if your XP takes up how much memory?

Can anyone check if your XP takes up how much memory?
    This is VERY variable and depends on how much stuff you have running or are loading up. Firewalls, Antivirus, IIS servers, IM clients, etc etc etc... mine only has 300MB available (out of 1GB), but i run a lot of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tmfwy View Post
    LOL.

I think some of you have been misinformed.

HDD
    Maximum 2.5" HDD size is now 160gb. About high $200+, if i am not wrong

RAM
    Maximum SODIMM ram size is 2gb for DDR2 and 1 gb for DDR.

Your notebook should be able to take in 1gb units but i would advise you to check the documentation, or give the manufacturer a call.

Check with the manufacturer by giving them a call

CLONING
    You CANNOT clone your hdd by simply copying the hdd over. Doing this will not allow you to boot up the operating system. You have to use cloning software from either your hdd manufacturer ( check website ), or Symantec Ghost / Partition Magic

If you have a lack of space, and are lazy to change hdd, consider external hard drives instead.
    Correct, the procedure is called cloning, not copying. Theres a software called clone to copy for example, from HD to HD. Cloning is the way to go if you dont want to reinstall all the existing applications in your old HD.
    Last edited by Jix; 2nd February 2007 at 07:59 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast