Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help .... what happened to my Mac?

Default Re: Help .... what happened to my Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    how come seagate problem become apple quality issue? that same drive would have caused problems in any system. anyway..if its hdd crash and they only need to reinstall os for you not not covered under warranty. if hdd really spoil, can rma to seagate and get it replaced.
    What i dont understand is that if Apple uses Seagate harddisk for its computer, then if it crashes and becomes useless, APple should at least assist me to get a new harddisk from Seagate since they generally give a warranty for 5 years. What i understood from the staff was that there was no more warranty (only 14 months of usage?) so I have to buy and pay for a replacement harddisk (another Seagate) ....
    I dont know whether I can use the spoiled HD to claim from Seagate myself?
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    What i dont understand is that if Apple uses Seagate harddisk for its computer, then if it crashes and becomes useless, APple should at least assist me to get a new harddisk from Seagate since they generally give a warranty for 5 years. What i understood from the staff was that there was no more warranty (only 14 months of usage?) so I have to buy and pay for a replacement harddisk (another Seagate) ....
    I dont know whether I can use the spoiled HD to claim from Seagate myself?
    i think should be able to rma directly to seagate.

Maybe you can try to replace the HDD yourself ?

i think should be able to rma directly to seagate.
    Will most likely not work as Seagate keeps records of OEM HDs. They will check with their database and tell you sorry, your HD is not eligible as it is an OEM version.

I kena this with a 4GB microdrive from a Creative MP3 player.

No harm trying anyways, just in case you get lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    What i dont understand is that if Apple uses Seagate harddisk for its computer, then if it crashes and becomes useless, APple should at least assist me to get a new harddisk from Seagate since they generally give a warranty for 5 years.
    Sorry to disappoint you but the keyword here is generally.

You can find HD sold at Sim Lim Sq with warranties ranging from 1, 2, 3 to 5 years. All depends on the type of warranty bundled with the HD, even though physically they are the same.

For Apple, they warranty it for only the first year unless you bought AppleCare which they extend it for another 2 years.

I believe the same thing applies in the PC world too! Apple is not unique when it comes to warranties of HD.

Try Google for DIY instructions for Mac mini HD replacement.

Here is one for you link.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Sent my old ibook to Micro 2000 for warranty repair and they lost my battery. After a week of hassling them they finally admitted it was their fault and took another 2 weeks to get them to replace the battery. Service staff had a really bad attitude.
    Totally agree with you. My friend sent his TiBook in for servicing and they fug things up for him then act blur.

I heard that some key staff(s) left around after late 2003. The mac service attitude and quality took a nose dive since then. What a waste as they were the best from 2002 to mid-2003 IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by VR Man View Post
    Will most likely not work as Seagate keeps records of OEM HDs. They will check with their database and tell you sorry, your HD is not eligible as it is an OEM version.

I kena this with a 4GB microdrive from a Creative MP3 player.

No harm trying anyways, just in case you get lucky
    wah...like that huh? then might as well go buy new hdd and replace yourself.

wah...like that huh? then might as well go buy new hdd and replace yourself.
    Yah! Totally agree but this option is only for the brave and/or those with DIY attitude.

I rather DIY and save $70-90 on the servicing fee.

If you have no choice but rather send in your Mac to change your HD, buy your HD because the Apple service supplied version is quite expensive, Mb for Mb comparison should you buy one from Sim Lim Sq.

Yeah its really costly to go through a service centre, especially an Apple authorised service centre. Doing it yourself may be risky as well for first-timers, perhaps get a veteran to help you?

Quote Originally Posted by Slivester View Post
    Yeah its really costly to go through a service centre, especially an Apple authorised service centre. Doing it yourself may be risky as well for first-timers, perhaps get a veteran to help you?
    Join the Singapore Mac User Forum and meet up during the kopi sessions. Maybe some veterans can help out there and then.

Yeah, thats more advisable. For me, in secondary school, my CCA actually host camps to educate us on customising and maintaining a Macintosh (Powerbook mainly), so meeting someone who knows it is a plus as well.

Quote Originally Posted by VR Man View Post
    Yah! Totally agree but this option is only for the brave and/or those with DIY attitude.

I rather DIY and save $70-90 on the servicing fee.

If you have no choice but rather send in your Mac to change your HD, buy your HD because the Apple service supplied version is quite expensive, Mb for Mb comparison should you buy one from Sim Lim Sq.
    OK, the Mini is up .... thank to the good serviceman (you know who you are ... thanks).
    The basic servicing fee is now $105 hor ....
    OK, now my crashed HD ... where to RMA with Seagate?... anyone?
    Apple is not going to do it for me.
    always the Light, .... always.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12