Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Taking candids

Default Re: taking candids

when u ask someone ' can i take ur picture', is it still considered CANDID?

i love candid shots because they are their best natural form.clueless, naive, smiling away, sad, dreaming and blah....

usually when i see nice subjects for portraiture,asking them to pose will end up in rather crappy expressions.

bear in mind not everyone has models' ability to look into your lens without a tinge of shyness.

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    I got ask before, but all I got was "take for what?" and then they give you the dirty eye.
    Don't you think that asking you why you wish to take his/her picture is very appropriate and reasonable?

Surely you must have a reason to take his/her picture, right? So why not just tell him/her why you wish to take the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    when u ask someone ' can i take ur picture', is it still considered CANDID?

i love candid shots because they are their best natural form.clueless, naive, smiling away, sad, dreaming and blah....

usually when i see nice subjects for portraiture,asking them to pose will end up in rather crappy expressions.

bear in mind not everyone has models' ability to look into your lens without a tinge of shyness.
    Who says that you have to ask the "subject" to pose when you ask them permission?

Manda gave a very insightful "philosophy" into such photography. The "trick" is not to "prey" on your subjects as if they were meant only for your photos. The "trick" is to be "part of them", to be involved with them, so that after a while, your presence is not longer intrusive.

The picture of the mother and child was taken that way. I was with them for a while, talking, interacting, and laughing with them, until such a time when they were "not aware" that I was going to take their photograph. The mother was not laughing for me. She was laughing with me.

This takes time. It is not a mere hit and run affair.

hAHAH..

reminded me last time I snapped a pic of this man peeing into a corner at Chinatown. Too bad he ran slower than I walked...

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    The "trick" is to be "part of them", to be involved with them, so that after a while, your presence is not longer intrusive.
    yep, agree. nat geo photogs use this method to get their shots. sometimes living with their subjects for months before getting the right shot.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    yep, agree. nat geo photogs use this method to get their shots. sometimes living with their subjects for months before getting the right shot.
    Eh... we're talking about candid shots here... mostly on the streets..

how much time do you have to talk to everyone and wait for a suitable response??
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Eh... we're talking about candid shots here... mostly on the streets..

how much time do you have to talk to everyone and wait for a suitable response??
    As much time as is necessary.

One good photo in a day is plentiful already!

Blog Entries

for friendly street shooting in spore, go to little india
    they just love it, don't even need to ask,

just look at them with a big smile
    bring camera to your eye
    and shoot

they will even pose for you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123