Thread: Help on Photo Size

Member/Tangshooter

Default Help on Photo Size

Hi, i'm a D70s user..i'm intending to take a family portrait at home using my dslr..what is the size of the photo (think bigger than 12R) called for those family portraits which are usually displayed inside studios or TV dramas? Is 6MP suitable for such large prints? TIA!
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Default Re: Help on Photo Size

Well, it depends on the quality of the print you intend which will be acceptable to you. One can do large format printing with 200 or 150 dpi such that you know people will look from a certain distance away than you would have than on a 12R for example. The other option of course is to do some extrapolation resizing but this can only be done up to a certain size before you can see the pixeling effect or whether this is still okay with you on the medium that you intend to print on. I've seen some bus-ads images with some pixeling seen but from a little further this is not obvious. I presumed you might want to do large format printing on canvas and for canvas prints one can avoid super-sharp images and can still be acceptable than you would with normal paper prints. One advise when you intend to do some upsizing, please avoid a 1 time large step upsize. Instead, try to upsize 10% more multiple times until you get the size you want as this will help reduce some pixeling effect. I haven't tried from 6MP before but with 8MP I've tried printing at A1 size with reasonably good result (can hardly notice any clear pixeling). Good luck!

Member/Tangshooter

Default Re: Help on Photo Size

Quote Originally Posted by ob1canob View Post
    Well, it depends on the quality of the print you intend which will be acceptable to you. One can do large format printing with 200 or 150 dpi such that you know people will look from a certain distance away than you would have than on a 12R for example. The other option of course is to do some extrapolation resizing but this can only be done up to a certain size before you can see the pixeling effect or whether this is still okay with you on the medium that you intend to print on. I've seen some bus-ads images with some pixeling seen but from a little further this is not obvious. I presumed you might want to do large format printing on canvas and for canvas prints one can avoid super-sharp images and can still be acceptable than you would with normal paper prints. One advise when you intend to do some upsizing, please avoid a 1 time large step upsize. Instead, try to upsize 10% more multiple times until you get the size you want as this will help reduce some pixeling effect. I haven't tried from 6MP before but with 8MP I've tried printing at A1 size with reasonably good result (can hardly notice any clear pixeling). Good luck!
    hi ob1canob, thank you for the reply..but i'm abit confused with what u have try to explain here..u mean i've to do post editing (upsizing) before sending the digital files for printing of large format at photolabs? A1 will be a good size, i think?

Edit: by the way is A1 size a standard for printing as photolabs? i tot the sizes always comes in 4R, 8R, 12R, etc..
    Last edited by blazer_workz; 1st November 2006 at 04:35 PM.
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.