Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

  1. #1
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Thumbs up Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    Default Photograph Size- Any Standards?
    Hey guys,
    i have been always changing sizes of my photographs and im kinda fickle to what looks right.

    what size do you guys usually put? Is it standardized for all your pictures?
    I saw many great photographers with somewhat small resolution of photos. Is that better besides the quality it have?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    Are you refering to prints or viewing on the web??
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  3. #3
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    viewing the web like on flickr or deviantart and such

  4. #4
    Senior Member glennyong's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    5,587

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    800 X 600 is good size actually...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NW-Sg
    Posts
    687

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    don mind i tapping the thread here pls..
    what is the next bigger size after 8R for print? and how big is it interms of "L" cm x "B" cm? and how much u cost to print such size?
    thx

  6. #6
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by sundazz View Post
    don mind i tapping the thread here pls..
    what is the next bigger size after 8R for print? and how big is it interms of "L" cm x "B" cm? and how much u cost to print such size?
    thx
    Still got 12R..commonly seen on lorry head.. Sorry to OT..Anyone knows sizes bigger than 12R suitable for family portraits? and is 6MP suitable for such large format printing?
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  7. #7
    Senior Member velasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    PARISris , Singapore
    Posts
    2,627

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    lol by the way, is 620 x 420 too small?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    Still got 12R..commonly seen on lorry head.. Sorry to OT..Anyone knows sizes bigger than 12R suitable for family portraits? and is 6MP suitable for such large format printing?
    the next common size after 12R is 16R or 16x24" with a 3:2 image

    family portraits look more *balanced* at 16x20" though..

    a 6mp Raw file will be more than enough for that size.

  9. #9
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by kex View Post
    the next common size after 12R is 16R or 16x24" with a 3:2 image

    family portraits look more *balanced* at 16x20" though..

    a 6mp Raw file will be more than enough for that size.
    Thanks!
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by velasco View Post
    lol by the way, is 620 x 420 too small?
    Not for me. Most of my photos are resized to 600 x 400 for web viewing.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    791

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    to tap on the 6mp question, can it print A4 size on a balanaced resolution?

  12. #12
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    I love my cup & coaster!
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by ryuggen View Post
    to tap on the 6mp question, can it print A4 size on a balanaced resolution?
    4mp already got people print 2m x 3m liao... you say leh?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NW-Sg
    Posts
    687

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    Pardon me.. what size is best to hang on wall for display photos?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Bukit Batok West Avenue 2
    Posts
    1,734

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by sundazz View Post
    don mind i tapping the thread here pls..
    what is the next bigger size after 8R for print? and how big is it interms of "L" cm x "B" cm? and how much u cost to print such size?
    thx
    Well, this is a rough guide for photo print sizes (R series)

    Code Size (in.) Size (mm) Aspect ratio
    3R 3" 5" 89 127 mm 7:10 (0.70)
    4R 4" 6" 102 152 mm 2:3 (0.67)
    5R 5" 7" 127 178 mm 5:7 (0.71)
    6R 6" 8" 152 203 mm 3:4 (0.75)
    8R 8" 10" 203 254 mm 4:5 (0.80)
    S8R 8" 12" 203 305 mm 2:3 (0.67)
    10R 10" 12" 254 305 mm 5:6 (0.83)
    S10R 10" 15" 254 381 mm 2:3 (0.67)
    11R 11" 14" 279 356 mm 11:14 (0.79)
    S11R 11" 17" 279 432 mm 11:17 (0.65)
    12R 12" 15" 305 381 mm 4:5 (0.80)
    S12R 12" 18" 305 465 mm 2:3 (0.67)

    And of course there's the Standard A series sizes. With digital files, you can get your images printed at this size at large format printers. They are considerably cheaper than photo prints. Depending of choice of paper, you can probably get an A3 prints for about S$3 ( S$8 for 8R?). But it'll be on something like an 100 gsm paper and look more like a poster than a photo. Great for school projects, office gathering's promo posters or pinning on office cubicle. And if you have the pixels, you can even print an A0 image for your living room wall etc. Hee hee. Here's the A series sizes.

    A Series Formats
    size in mm
    A0 841 1189
    A1 594 841
    A2 420 594
    A3 297 420
    A4 210 297
    A5 148 210
    A6 105 148
    A7 74 105
    A8 52 74
    A9 37 52
    A10 26 37

    Well of course there's the B series sizes (In-between A sizes) and C series sizes (usually Evenlopes sizes for A size papers, an A4 will fit in a C4 envelope, so on and so for)

    The ISO 216 paper sizes (The A,B, C series) has some interesting properties. 2 sheets of a smaller sizes will combine to form the next larger sizes (A3 = approx 2 x A4). So it makes enlarging much easier as the aspect ratio of the papers more or less remains the same.(1:√2 aspect ratio). You can read more here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_216

    (PS: Hee That kinda looked messy... should have made a table instead)
    Last edited by Flare; 2nd November 2006 at 12:39 PM.

  15. #15
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flare View Post
    Well, this is a rough guide for photo print sizes (R series)

    Code Size (in.) Size (mm) Aspect ratio
    3R 3" 5" 89 127 mm 7:10 (0.70)
    4R 4" 6" 102 152 mm 2:3 (0.67)
    5R 5" 7" 127 178 mm 5:7 (0.71)
    6R 6" 8" 152 203 mm 3:4 (0.75)
    8R 8" 10" 203 254 mm 4:5 (0.80)
    S8R 8" 12" 203 305 mm 2:3 (0.67)
    10R 10" 12" 254 305 mm 5:6 (0.83)
    S10R 10" 15" 254 381 mm 2:3 (0.67)
    11R 11" 14" 279 356 mm 11:14 (0.79)
    S11R 11" 17" 279 432 mm 11:17 (0.65)
    12R 12" 15" 305 381 mm 4:5 (0.80)
    S12R 12" 18" 305 465 mm 2:3 (0.67)

    And of course there's the Standard A series sizes. With digital files, you can get your images printed at this size at large format printers. They are considerably cheaper than photo prints. Depending of choice of paper, you can probably get an A3 prints for about S$3 ( S$8 for 8R?). But it'll be on something like an 100 gsm paper and look more like a poster than a photo. Great for school projects, office gathering's promo posters or pinning on office cubicle. And if you have the pixels, you can even print an A0 image for your living room wall etc. Hee hee. Here's the A series sizes.

    A Series Formats
    size in mm
    A0 841 1189
    A1 594 841
    A2 420 594
    A3 297 420
    A4 210 297
    A5 148 210
    A6 105 148
    A7 74 105
    A8 52 74
    A9 37 52
    A10 26 37

    Well of course there's the B series sizes (In-between A sizes) and C series sizes (usually Evenlopes sizes for A size papers, an A4 will fit in a C4 envelope, so on and so for)

    The ISO 216 paper sizes (The A,B, C series) has some interesting properties. 2 sheets of a smaller sizes will combine to form the next larger sizes (A3 = approx 2 x A4). So it makes enlarging much easier as the aspect ratio of the papers more or less remains the same.(1:√2 aspect ratio). You can read more here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_216

    (PS: Hee That kinda looked messy... should have made a table instead)
    Very informative and interesting for IS0216 paper sizes..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NW-Sg
    Posts
    687

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    wow.. so many diff size!!
    very very informative.. thk u for sharing your knowledge.. very appreciated,
    btw jus wonder do you provide printing services since u so knowledgable w all this sizes?

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    791

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    thanks for very much for the info. Really help alot!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Bukit Batok West Avenue 2
    Posts
    1,734

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    Quote Originally Posted by sundazz View Post
    wow.. so many diff size!!
    very very informative.. thk u for sharing your knowledge.. very appreciated,
    btw jus wonder do you provide printing services since u so knowledgable w all this sizes?
    hahah I don't do printing services. But always kena arrow in camp to do posters etc etc, so more or less know a bit.

    I usually print my stuff at Peace center, if you need large format printing can go there take a look, lots of NAFA students go there too.

    And yeah, tehre's always Google and Wikipedia. I had this same problem with papers sizes earlier and did a search.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    240

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    well i used to have 800 x 600 recently downgrade to 600 x 400 becos someone complained my pictures were too big....
    i am not a GUY... erm ya...

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NW-Sg
    Posts
    687

    Default Re: Photograph Size- Any Standards?

    how about those photo frame tat we can find in IKEA?
    I noticed there are sizes of 40cm x 30cm. and 50cm x 40cm.. so what size or what "R" print are suitable for these photo frames?

    the nearest i can see is the A3 and A2 respectively, but seems over sized for the frame.

    another question.. wat size is best for me to showcase my work on print? A2 or A3? and wat's the estimated cost for printing this 2 sizes?

    very much appreciated..
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •