Thread: Generic Camera Batteries

Default Generic Camera Batteries

I was wondering...are generic camera batteries as good as the original ones??

I have experience with Canon DSLRs. The generic batteries on those don't seem to last as long as the original ones. The originals last well over a year on regular use and can hold their charge well but the generics seem to give up after a few months. That is they can't seem to hold a full charge and drain very quickly.

Do others have the same experience?

Default Re: Generic Camera Batteries

Maybe, you got a lemon. Ask those who use generic batteries and chances are they have never faced such problems. Same for me too. They are as good as original albeit easier on your wallet.

Generic battery == 3rd party battery.

Generic battery cost usually half the original battery, so its capacity (half also).

Ask Canon (or Nikon or others), they will not support generic battery and warranty is void if using generic battery.

Regards,
    Arto.

Buy original

I had a 3rd party battery for my Canon S40 before. I noticed that it has a poorer battery life(less shots per charge) and after half a year, it totally died. My original Canon battery is still going strong after 4 years.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

It really depends on the 3rd party battery you purchase. I bought a battery called Digital and I notice that it seems to take less photos than the original. After half a year it died on me completely. Now I use the the one from Eastgear. The battery life is comparable to my original battery.

My sterlingtek batteries last noticably longer than my original canon battery. 500-600 photos with flash as compared to 400-500 from the original

Thank you all for the feedback!!